Power Steering Pump Leaking

James1000

T6 Guru
In for a cambelt today and have been told power steering pump leaking causing Aux to squeal- not read that on here that I can find - I thought it was just the pulley?

My 2017 T6 with 60k on the clock went in for a service today. The tech has sent pictures of a leaking power steering pump. I cant see a leek in the pictures and according to elsewhere the pump should be good for 100k +....... cost or repair is £781. Seems pricey.

I'm not a mechanic, but is it unreasonable to ask them first to find the cause of the leak? It may not be the pump itself but a pipe or a washer......?

Any ideas or tips/questions to ask the tech would be helpful.

Thanks guys and gals.

Mine was losing fluid and was coming from power steering pump. My mechanic had to have it running for 20 minutes before it was obvious. 67k 2017 model. Cost about £400 but he is very independent.

2017 With 39k on the clock
Mine has just started to leak from the front seal where the drive goes into the pump. (Enough to drip onto the undertray)

had mine in for a service a few weeks ago and told mine is sweating, 44000 miles, pump from tps is £480 trade, £100 and £150 deposit for old unit from euro car parts

I’ve never looked at one in detail but I would think they must be serviceable with a new seal and bearings.

Had two recon ones both failed I am in my 4th - GENUINE
What engine is yours say your on 4th now mate mines got 30k on it and it’s leaking mot man got in it and straight away said pumps gone with out even looking it feels heavy and vibrates slightly when turning feels no different to me lol what brand is best to go for tps want just over 400 for it thanks

Has anyone changed there own pump mines got air con hopefully will be able to move air con compressor out the way without having to remove it while I whip power steering pump of

Last edited:
Back