Power-latching Woes

I have had recurring problems with the tailgate soft close not working. It happens after something goes in the back that it is too long which obstructs the tailgate so the soft close won't work. The control unit for the soft close notices this and then stops trying to use the soft close part of the sequence. I have repeatedly fixed this but it is a pain in the arse and I recently modified the van to make it quicker. I intended to work out and list the precise sequence of events in order to give a definitive set of instructions but unfortunately I had an intermittent loose wire problem while the van was dismantled and managed to confused myself.
Behind the left side rear panel are the control units for the tailgate and the locks and soft close. There are two control unit mounted on a steel bracket and it is the smaller one that controls the soft close. Basically this needs to be unplugged, either the ignition or the engine switched on. Then turn the ignition off. Plug the control unit back in, and then hopefully it works. It maybe that you also have to take the trim piece off from over the rear latch, 6 torx T20 screw, and unplug the soft close mechanism as well. I find by using a flat blade screwdriver underneath I can release the plug from the lock mechanism without unscrewing it. You can see how in the picture in the post above.

kombi behind rear left panel.jpeg
However, to get the side the side panel off you have to undo the 3 screws holding the tailgate motor cover and then with a 3mm allen key and a small trim tool remove the 18 panel pins. The control modules are mounted on the rear of the wheel arch and it wouldd be nice if you could unplug the modules in place but i have found it impossible so I need a T30 torx on a socket spanner to remove the bracket and units as one so that I could unplug the single cable from the smaller unit.IMG_6885.jpeg
When I get to this point and have unplugged it I find that pushing the close button on the tailgate has no effect. I then go and start the engine, let it run for a couple of minutes then turn it off. I then plug the module back in and see if the gate will shut and the soft close will work. If it doesn't I repeat the process. If that fails I remove the cover over the soft close lock so that I can unplug it. Then repeat the ignition, start engine, engine off sequence. Once the soft close starts working again I very systematically put things back in place, 1 step at a time and checking the soft close after every step. The problems I had working this out were to do with a suspect bad contact as I twisted the control units to get them back in place.
To speed the whole process up last time it happened I cut the bottom off the side panel and used one of the extra trim clips in a new hole to stop it slapping. I then used 2 Riv-Nuts in the old trim clip holes so that it is now just 2 screws to access the control units.
Kombi Lining with comtrol modules accessible.jpeg
Kombi Lining with removable bottom section.jpeg
As far as I can see what has to be done is firstly make the control unit sense that it is not attached to the soft close mechanism and then after it is reattached it has to reset itself so that it orperates normally. When I have some time spare I will deliberately block the tailgate and disable the soft close and hopefully be more precise about whether the soft close mechanism needs to be unplugged as well.

Sorry, a bit confused here. Aren't the motor and control module in the pictures actually for the electrical left sliding door, not for the tailgate???

Quite possibly I may be wrong about the motors at the side and the larger of the two modules. I realise now that I have never checked any of this out and was just repeating what some salesman told me. It is a working van and if it's not broken I'm not interested. However, I am definitely sure that the small control unit which I posted a picture of is the one that you need to bother with when the tailgate is giving problems.

Hmmm... based on VCDS scans the tailgate control unit part number is 7E0 959 107 or 7E0 959 107 A.
Also in VCDS scans sliding door control unit has part number 7E0 959 243 D or E.

Per wiring diagram the tailgate control unit should be near right D-pillar.

1693244070998.png

I feel such a fool. My Chrysler Grand Voyagers had the motors in the sliding door itself and I just assumed the motors for the VW would be the same as it is such a tidy place to put them. So the control unit below the motor is for the sliding door itself. And to punish me for my foolishness the left hand door has stopped working properly. I think a branch from a bush got jammed in the door a few nights ago when I pushed the wrong button. Anyhow it doesn't open off the dash button. It releases the soft close but doesn't retract when you pull the side handle, pull the handle again and it moves back but as soon as it fully retracts it moves forward again very fast and the pinch stop doesn't work. I would suggest it might now be considered dangerous. If I slide it back by hand I can then close it by pulling on the handle. Best thing would be to disconnect the motor cable and remove the motor. Anybody know how easy it is to do that?

Just a quick update for anyone else experiencing this.

Apparently that module only works when there is 10.5v and above coming from battery.

So if your battery is a bit knackered, that can cause it to stop working (and explains why it works when engine is running).

However, mine still not solved. Strong volts from battery, but when the boot lock engages, the volts drop to 10 - thus the power latch wont kick in.

Technician is investigating as to what is sapping all the voltage when it closes.....
Did you get sorted? Mine has been fine for 2 years
I'm new to the VW diagrams but my reading of it is that there may not be any power to the motor until the module tries to drive it open or closed.

Is yours a T6 or T6.1?

As a thought can you fool the latch in the tailgate it is closed using a spanner/shackle/screwdriver of similar size to the latch hoop on the motor module - then at least you should be able to see it trying to move

Did you resolve the issue? Also do you have a link to the diagrams?

I got it. Downloaded a few. Thanks. Vw have had my van for 4 weeks. They now want the carpet taking out/moving, saying it could be a wiring fault, potentially not under warranty for example if a screw has gone through a cable etc. It’s 2 years old, less than 10k on the clock. Show room condition. Suddenly stopped working. So I doubt it personally. Time will tell. Thanks for the help :)

Back