Power issue or is this normal? [Resolved]

f6100153

T6 Pro
I got my T6 at the end of last summer, converted it over the winter and finally went away in it for the first time over the Easter bank holiday, which was a great weekend.

Part of the conversion we had a single leisure battery, solar panel, split charging system, electric hookup all fitted and this weekend was the first time I've used them. We didn't get a hookup as it was only 2 nights and I was hoping the solar and battery would suffice. It was sunny weekend and we were driving the van each topping up the battery.

I was running a fridge all weekend, this worked a treat and was always the correct temperature, this is the Fridge. Other than the fridge the only other thing we used was charging one mobile phone.

Each morning I tried to use the Eberspacher Diesel heater but it came up with an error each morning saying there wasn't enough power. Is this typical or should I expect to have enough power to run the heater? The weekend just gone it was only me and wife so wasn't too much of an issue but the next trip we will have our 1 and 3 year olds with us so I'd like to be able to use the heater for them.

Do I need a bigger battery, additional battery, use hookup if I want the heater? Could there be an issue with the setup.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
If you started the van, would the erbspacher run?
You say you have a “split charge system” is this a split charge relay or a B2B charger.
You don’t say what your battery is or what, if any monitoring you have connected. What was the battery voltage showing when the heater wouldn’t start.

I did start the heater after driving the van for 20 mins and worked fine.

It is a B2B charger.

I think it's 110ah (going to double check) battery and yeah I have a volt meter that was showing around 10.5 when the erbspacher wouldn't run.

10.5 is totally flat, beyond flat even
Battery voltage should be above 12 all the time, when fully charged its rest voltage should be at least high 12s

10.5 is totally flat, beyond flat even
Battery voltage should be above 12 all the time, when fully charged its rest voltage should be at least high 12s
^^^^^ wot he said
Either you're using more than you think overnight (hence the monitoring), or the system/battery isn't up to scratch.

I've just been out and checked it now and it's showing 11.5, that's after a 200 mile drive last night. Nothing plugged in since arriving home and the sun on the solar now.

I'm guessing it should be higher?

Even a battery at 12v is getting low, check this chart, try to keep the voltage reading in the green. 20211103_072625.jpg

Dont run it that low again too often or you will permanently damage it and it wont hold a decent charge.If not already damaged.
The diesel heater needs a battery with a lot more power in it as the heater will draw around 6 to 8 amps on start up .

I've just been out and checked it now and it's showing 11.5, that's after a 200 mile drive last night. Nothing plugged in since arriving home and the sun on the solar now.

I'm guessing it should be higher?
If it's only showing 11.5v after that drive then I'd say your battery is fubar. You could try disconnecting the battery and charge it with a smart charger that has a reconditioning program.

Somethings not right, you need to figure out if the battery isnt taking/holding a charge or the supply to it to charge it is not correct

As you have multiple charging sources then my guess would be the battery is knackered ?

Thanks all, how would battery of become knackered?

It was brand new in November, it will have been topped up from the B2B and solar but it's never really had anything plugged into it before this weekend.

Could be a dodgy one form the start, i have had it happen to me before, or possibly its been run flat somewhere along the line - if left totally flat for a couple weeks they never quite recover properly

Thanks all, how would battery of become knackered?

It was brand new in November, it will have been topped up from the B2B and solar but it's never really had anything plugged into it before this weekend.
If this is the first time out, it wouldn’t have been charging from the B2B over winter, the solar wouldn’t have been doing much either. If you’ve had any parasitic loads on over the winter, USB sockets etc, chances are the battery has been sat fully discharged over the winter. You need a mains charger in your system & keep the van plugged in when not in use to keep things ticking over.

It shouldn't have ever got flat, the van is used a daily vehicle so I would assume that and the solar would keep it somewhat topped up. I will call the auto electrical company I used to fit it.

Is there anything I can do to test the battery?

If this is the first time out, it wouldn’t have been charging from the B2B over winter, the solar wouldn’t have been doing much either. If you’ve had any parasitic loads on over the winter, USB sockets etc, chances are the battery has been sat fully discharged over the winter. You need a mains charger in your system & keep the van plugged in when not in use to keep things ticking over.
The van hasn't been sat, we use all the time as the family vehicle. Just hasn't been used as a camper is what I meant

Running a battery down either too often or too low can permanently damage it.
I would check the charging circuit if you are positive it has had no load on it until this weekend.
As Pauly says maybe it has never held a decent charge properly even from new.
I think you said you have a volt meter, did you notice the leisure battery voltage before your trip, if it was below 11.5v or so it may already have gone low enough to ruin the battery.
Put a volt meter across the terminals and start the engine and see if the voltage at the terminals goes up to 13.8v or so.
This is to check the charging circuit.

Thanks for all the help, I've spoken to the company that did the electrics. I have one device that charges it from both the solar and B2B which sounds like it's not working and might have never worked so we've just been draining the battery down. Taking it down tomorrow for him to replace the unit and battery if it's been damaged :)

Thanks for all the help, I've spoken to the company that did the electrics. I have one device that charges it from both the solar and B2B which sounds like it's not working and might have never worked so we've just been draining the battery down. Taking it down tomorrow for him to replace the unit and battery if it's been damaged :)
Is it a Ctek by any chance?

that's good customer service....

Seems to be sorted now, it's sitting around 13 now with the engine not running. The issue was a faulty one of these:

Back