Poly V belt running off to one side [Resolved]

Martinf

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I had a recent 4th year service and MOT undertaken by VW Beadles Van Centre Chelmsford. I was advised that “Poly V belt running off to one side, advise new Poly V belt, tensioner and bolt” at a cost of £212.53.

The van has a 5 year Factory Extended Warranty which VW website says is “exactly the same” as the original warranty. Yet when I asked if the repair was covered they said it would have been up to 3 years but only up to 5 in the event of a failure.

Van is a 150DSG campervan conversion from new, mileage approximately 21k. Photo of the Advice and screenshot from the VW video of the V belt attached.

I don’t have a problem with having the work done, but is there any advice on:
* Whether the repair will address causes?
* Whether it should be covered under the Factory Extended Warranty?

Thanks, Martin

86AA9C81-E08C-4247-A7FC-C71C096BB9EA.jpeg

9934C535-FC52-4FA9-85AF-8C60AC188A7F.png

I’ve just done this myself last weekend.
Bought a second hand (off a van that had done just 7km) tensioner off ebay from Germany (part # 04L145299M) for £28 (search for 04L145299 and find the most recent incarnation you can/want to pay for) and a new belt (Gates 03L903137AC 6PK1550) for £15. (Edited to add that this fits a CXHA motor with A/C, it is 5mm shorter than the original contitech belt 6PK1555 that was fitted)
I had to get some more triple square M12 sockets that would fit in the restricted space needed to get the quite long bolt out and back in again but I managed it inside a day.
You may also need a wobble adapter to torque the bolt up from inside the wheel arch, it’s just off straight.
Used this set of sockets from machine mart 5 Piece 1/2" Drive Spline Bit Set (M10-M18) - Machine Mart - Machine Mart which just clears the tensioner pulley for £17.
So £60 odd in parts and a few hours work and you’ll be quids in.

Last edited:
I should add, my van is a 150 CXHA that was squeaking on idle. I changed the tensioner and belt and this squeaking has gone. I could see the belt was not running centrally on the tensioner pulley with the old one, it has a gap to the edge on the new one.
The M incarnation of the tensioner that I sourced is solid metal on the part that bolts to the engine, the one that came off, a B version, had a plastic core where the bolt went through.

@Loz thanks for the reference to previous service actions. Is there somewhere that I can find something specific to quote to the dealer?

Mine was the same. Slight squeak from the pulley. It wasn’t running in line. I photographed the old pulley and it was dull where the belt wasn’t running. £73 for the pulley and £16 for the belt. Much better now.

see below for the photo.

Cam & Aux Belt Tensioner Noise, Recorded.

I had the pulley and belt changed under warranty on my 2016 van , the belt had snapped but it was a known issue and I'm sure the dealer said there was a recall on the belt and pulley anyway on that year/age of van.

I had the pulley and belt changed under warranty on my 2016 van , the belt had snapped but it was a known issue and I'm sure the dealer said there was a recall on the belt and pulley anyway on that year/age of van.
Funnily enough, the dealer offered a discount on the part without me asking…. Suspicious eh?…..

Just to conclude my Poly V belt matter. After contending that the work was covered by my extended warranty the dealer readily agreed. So I had a warranty replacement today.
No paperwork or anything, so until I am able to peer deep inside or underneath I’ll take their word that they have changed the V belt and pulley.

Just to conclude my Poly V belt matter. After contending that the work was covered by my extended warranty the dealer readily agreed. So I had a warranty replacement today.
No paperwork or anything, so until I am able to peer deep inside or underneath I’ll take their word that they have changed the V belt and pulle
I've just been advised during the service that my poly v belt is starting to come off the tensionner, and should be replaced to avoid noise on start up. When I said about being covered by warranty I was told by vw Manchester that it's a belt so subject to wear and tear so isn't covered, similarly to the cambelt not being covered. Is this not the same issue as Martin reported above or am I missing something?

Replacing the belt without replacing the tensioner will just result in the belt wearing again. I'd tell them that the tensioner should be replaced under warranty and you will make a contribution to the cost of the belt, see what they do then.

I’d say it’s the tensioner at fault and not the belt. As @Grim Reaper said, the tensioner should be covered and you could contribute to the belt, which may help you in the long run as it changes the warranty situation in your favour.

should be replaced to avoid noise on start up
That’s not why it should be replaced but I’m not totally surprised.
It should be replaced because it will eventually fail and possibly take the timing belt with it.
As for warranty, IMO if if fails inside the service interval it should be covered. The timing belt has a formal service interval the poly V belt doesn’t. If I were you I’d argue until they buckle.

Oh and if they do replace the tensioner, make sure it's the most recent incarnation that they fit, latest is an M as far as I am aware.

I've just been advised during the service that my poly v belt is starting to come off the tensionner, and should be replaced to avoid noise on start up. When I said about being covered by warranty I was told by vw Manchester that it's a belt so subject to wear and tear so isn't covered, similarly to the cambelt not being covered. Is this not the same issue as Martin reported above or am I missing something?
My main issue with the VW workshop was that initially they said mine would have been covered by the standard warranty but not the Factory Extended one. They must have been trying it on because there was no question when I pointed out they were meant to provide the same cover.

My 2018 CXGB engine (30k miles) poly belt was running about 3mm off the edge of the tensioner pulley and had been continually noisy for a while. I bought new OEM tensioner, pulley and belt from Deutcheparts for around £130 and was able to fit myself in a couple of hours. Noise now gone and I can see belt is better aligned.

Last edited:
Back