Pollen Filter ?

Pete C

VIP Member
T6 Legend
I have had parts of the dash apart today to route the charger wiring from the main battery to the leisure battery, and I though I would try and track down the pollen filter while I was there - but I can't find it !

Youtube is full of videos of how to replace your T5 pollen filter, but nothing on the T6, and the dash/glovebox arrangement seems different from T5 to T6.

Can anyone give me definitive instructions on where to find it, including pictures, please ?

Thanks,

Pete

Sorry I meant to look for you.

Will have a read now and revert..

Remove glove box
Remove lower cover
You will see a narrow strip that goes across the underside of the heater matrix housing with a small bolt at one end, remove the bolt and then at the same end of the strip/cover as the bolt, reach up and unclip the end of the plastic cover and hinge down and out of the other end.
The pollen filter then can be reached and pulled straight downwards to remove.

Install in reverse

I’ll post up a manual section to the the downloads area in the morning.

Excellent thanks. Will have look at the weekend.

Pete

Hi Gents,

I've changed a number of pollen filters on T5s with basically the instructions above but now come to do the same on my MY16 Highline T6 'GH118939'.

I find that there is part of the main dash plastic structure that makes it almost impossible to remove the pollen filter housing cover strip. Then when I have done that the existing (new from factory) pollen filter is wider than the slot and will in any case not pull downwards because of the afore mentioned dash structure. The supplied new filter is 7H0 819 613A which as far as I can see from ETKA is the correct one.

ELSAWIN indicates that the cover strip and filter will almost fall down but no way on my vehicle.

I could brutalise the existing filter to remove it but cannot see how a new one can be fitted without damage.

Thoughts anyone? @Loz @Pauly ??

I followed the instructions and it was OK. I don't recall a problem getting the final cover strip out, but I do remember having to compress the new filter a little to get it into the slot.
I can't comment on whether you have the right replacement filter or not.

Pete

Thanks @pete, that's just as I thought having had three T5s before but on the T6 the dash structure obstructs the filter aperture by at least an inch and as I say the existing filter will not drop out of its housing, it's about 3mm too wide!

Rod

Sorry rod not changed one in a T6 so can’t advise, next time I’m under the dash will drop the casing and have a look but prob won’t be for a couple weeks

Bump, any more ideas please.

I wish I could get a decent picture of how the part of the dash plastic obstructs the slot that the filter fits into.

..... I also tried to disassemble the filter and I could not ruin it ... I left the filter, it was still good .. but I do not want that I was not able to disassemble .... and 'a life that dirties my hands with the engines but this thing makes me angry .... however, the new filter is really more often than the crack where you should stick .. arrgh ...

Bump, any more ideas please.

I wish I could get a decent picture of how the part of the dash plastic obstructs the slot that the filter fits into.

I am having the same problem with a t5 2,5TDI 4motion. The lower part of the dash trim obstructs the passage of the filter. Impossible to take it out without significant damage to it. And the new one in... same problem.

It appears the fan and filter housing are in a different position than in regular T5's, which are the ones documented on youtube and the web. Could find nothing for my particular model.

Rod, did you find a solution to yours? T6's might have taken the same design as mine, it seems from what you are saying.

No, I haven't found a resolution to this yet although I have had three T5s including a T5.1 and never had a problem with them. I do in fact still have a late T5.1 which I can't remember if I've changed the filter on yet so I can have a look at that.
What year is your T5? Mine is a 63 plate Trendline and the T6 is a 66 plate Highline.

Rod

Mine is a 2008 T5 4motion 2,5TDI 174HP, multivan comfortline. It's a left-hand drive from Austria, I got it second hand a year ago. The dash is different from all other T5's I see on the web. The Haynes manual is of no help for me as nothing really matches what I read there. Also the door panels are different. And now I see that the air blower is in a configuration similar to what you explain in your T6. I'm completely puzzled actually.

I tried removing some screws on the lower side of the trim, then force it a bit out, but there's not enough play for the filter to come out straight.

I'm afraid I'll have to disassemble the dash trim, or maybe as I've seen somewhere remove the glovebox and unfix the whole blower unit... ugly solution.

Otherwise I just push the damn filter in and hope for the best.

I've had the glove box out of my T6 (RHD) and as you say there is no way the pollen filter will slide out of the housing even by putting pressure on the lower part of the dash frame. As far as I can see that part of the dash frame is integral with all of the main dash structure!

Anyone else had this problem?

rod, that's a bit how it looks like for my T5. I managed to get the filter in without damaging it by first aligning it as much as possible, then pulling hard on the trim parts to finish alignment (some 2cm pull!!), then press the filter in gently.

It's definitely a bad design but doable. I had to take 3 screws off the lower part of the trim so that it was not solidary with the underneath frame and the whole could move easier when pulled.
IMG_20190118_172234752.jpg

I'll have to have another look at mine when the weather improves!

Rod

Back