Planning an Audio Upgrade on a T6.1 and have a Question

Jonah1972

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I'm looking at upgrading the audio on a T6.1 with Discover Media (The big touchscreen version).
I've had a few indicative prices on kit etc and thank you to @Absolut5 for your help so far, but from looking on forum and the web I'm not entirely sure how far into the dashboard I will have to delve in order to fit the ISO breakout lead. Being lazy I don't want to take stuff off unless I need to!
I seem to recall talk that the screen is separate to the control unit / Amp which is located elsewhere in the dash but I'm yet to find pictures, location diagram etc that shows me exactly where.
Can anyone point me to the exact location I need to get to to fit an ISO lead similar to the photo? Cheers!

1624353030957.png

I'm pretty sure the brains of the infotainment system is behind the glovebox

I'm pretty sure the brains of the infotainment system is behind the glovebox
Thanks Deaky, that makes it a relatively simple job then as I had the glove box out to run some cables for B2B & EHU. I should have had a closer look when I was in there and took some photos.

Yes the main control module is bend the centre console. So you need to remove trim under steering wheel, glovebox and centre console

You also will need a different harness to connect the one in the photo

Sorry to pick up on an older thread, but did you manage to identify the cables/ connectors required to add the rear speakers on to this arrangement ? After trawling through several posts on the subject of adding rear speakers, I bought the special little pins to put into the 'brown' connector. Took my dash apart today to get the head unit out, only to find that its just the screen with a single small 12 pin connector (of which only 5 wires are used). So I guess what I have is the 'latest version' of the Discover Media (?), and I'm assuming that the required speaker connections will need to be done on the (yet to be found by me) control module instead. Can anyone advise what I need to do this/ where the connections need to go ? Thanks !
:)

20211218_113358.jpg

The tuner/amp module is behind the glovebox/centre dash trim, where you will find the standard quadlock plug , with the brown plug

As above the brains are located behind the centre console and a bit of a pig to get at. Just enough space to fit an aftermarket break out lead to make it all plug and play.

14FC97B3-BBFA-48F2-9A43-CBB490CDAF52.pngBB2ED2E5-04B6-46F1-9C8B-45B6D123714F.jpeg

Reactions: JOG
Thanks folks. Wiring now sorted & 4x speakers are working.
But now having difficulty with activating the fader with VCDS. My version (21.9) doesn't seem to operate the same as the descriptions on the forum, and some of the YouTube videos. For a 20plate T6.1 with Discover Nav (MIB3 ? I think), the fader looks to be activated through adaptions. I've gone through the motions and changed ch1 TT and ch4 TT to 'installed', and also changed the audio-signal from 10 to 20. But still no fader function, even after reset .....

Any suggestions on what to look for or try next ? Any input appreciated, I'm at a loss now.
Mine is a 20’ plate with Discover media.

It required a VW firmware update to the MIB3 5F to allow the fader to function before the fader coded. It’s due to the early builds FW I believe.

This update was released ~October 22’

@Dav-Tec can confirm this as he coded the fader.

No I didn't get mine sorted. Its been running with no fader ever since. The improvised solution was to adjust the gains on the amps as best I could to get a 'balance'. Been over a year now - I kinda got used to it :p
But now that I see BikerPa's response, I have another avenue to pursue. Thanks !! :cool:

Mine is a 20’ plate with Discover media.

It required a VW firmware update to the MIB3 5F to allow the fader to function before the fader coded. It’s due to the early builds FW I believe.

This update was released ~October 22’

@Dav-Tec can confirm this as he coded the fader.
Thanks for that, I’ll get it booked in for the s/w update.

Back