Picking up T6 - what checks should I do?

Keaney

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Collecting my T6 on the 1st sept and the dealer has been fitting a spoiler. It's the first time I've bought a new vehicle so wondering what checks I should do?

Here's a possible list but please suggest anymore:

• Options check to make sure I have everything
  • Vag scan for faults
  • Check paint work for scratches
  • Check paint depth for repair work
  • Check panel alignment

I have a vag cable and a paint depth meter so seems logical to use them. Heard stories of dealers having to get cars detailed due to scratches.

1st of September will be a busy day at the dealer and they won't have much time for you.

Check the roof for damage and check that the spec is what you ordered. Look underneath as well.

Don't drive it away unless you are totally happy as the dealer will be busy washing their hands as soon as you leave the forecourt.

Going to see it this wed so they have nearly two weeks to sort anything out

Best advise is get to it before they do! body work wise anyway. I walked into the
stealers the same day mine landed to check it over. But even that is only there word. you never no what's happen to them on there journey..
just check it all works and you have ever think you ordered.

Initiate the 'Do Not Wash' command...
It's had a rear spoiler fitted so they will wash it... wondering if I see scratches on collection if they will cover the cost of a detail!

No sliding windows... panel van

I didn't notice until I first washed my roof a few weeks later, that mine has scrapping scars on the rear of the roof, but they buffed out. This must have been where it was too tall to go under something, so I would check the roof. Each dealer has to do a pre handover test drive and visual check of the vehicle as mandated by VW. I would ask for a copy of this. It's done on carbon copy paper and there are three sheets. You should get a copy but they don't hand them out unless you ask. I would then do the whole hand over bit and whilst they are sorting other folk out, go and spend time going over yours but do not drive it off the four court. Wait until you are totally happy. Even though you have done the signing over, the fact you haven't left the grounds yet would mean that you haven't technically drove it away, do they would have to put it right.
I am taking it that it is stock hieght and as such you will need a step ladder to get a real good view of the roof so I would take one along.
But at the end of the day it is worth saying that it's a brand new VW and should be right. One in seven hundred is the ratio of bad ones and they never usually leave the factory so it should all be fine! Enjoy!

When I collected mine I checked the outside for scratches etc and ensured all my options were there and worked. What I didn't do was check all usual everyday functions worked, as it's new you don't expect that to be an issue. That was to my cost as within 30 miles of collection I found myself on the M6 in a thunderstorm with the drivers side wiper not working. It hadn't been tightened up. So you may want to check things like that, indicators and lights. But if you are like me you'll just want to get it on the road and start enjoying it

Ah cool thanks, I've checked the options list already and started it up to check a few things but not everything. Will double check it all on collection day

When I collected mine I checked the outside for scratches etc and ensured all my options were there and worked. What I didn't do was check all usual everyday functions worked, as it's new you don't expect that to be an issue. That was to my cost as within 30 miles of collection I found myself on the M6 in a thunderstorm with the drivers side wiper not working. It hadn't been tightened up. So you may want to check things like that, indicators and lights. But if you are like me you'll just want to get it on the road and start enjoying it
These are the things that they should check on pre handover checklist I was talking about.

I have absolutely zero faith in dealers PDIs after numerous negative experiences over the years, such as front indicators with no bulbs in and rear wipers where the electrical connections had not been hooked up inside the hatch. Both of these and many more on various vehicles had been ticked as checked and even initialled. They also seem to work on the assumption that cos it's new, everything must work, so can't be arsed to check.

Back