Penny for your thoughts

Eli

VIP Member
T6 Legend
I have a 68 plate two tone Caravelle with 10500 miles. I spoke to the dealer that I bought it from and they offered £35k so we agreed and should of done the deal last Saturday. I then had a water mains burst on Friday which once repaired blew a pipe in the house. I emailed the dealer to advise and got no response. Spoke to dealer on Monday 09:00hrs to explain and today he has now only offered £33.5k given that I am not PX’ing do I take the hit or just keep the Caravelle

No, just a straight forward purchase
“Thanks for the offer, but I can’t take a hit for £1500 in a week!” and see if he blinks. You aren’t out of pocket either way. (Unless you need to get shot ASAP, that is!) He’ll probably move but he won’t go back to original offer....pride, ego, being a bloke etc!

Don’t need to sell it and won’t be out of pocket, I was looking to get a better deal on a 6.1 without a PX

You will always get a better price selling private... if you have time to hold out for the right buyer.

Have you bashed "we buy any car "yet?...the price you get will always go up a bit after a week.... miraculously.

Dealers are ruthless with the trade in value.... which is annoying as you will see your van being sold on the website a month later for 10/20% more than they offered you.

I .pulled them.up before on this, ...... cost of sale and running the business was their reply..... profit more like.

Hi..I had heard that dealers give higher discounts on finance deals..( bigger margins) and it only works if you can pay off very early......so do the PX at a price that works for you then except the finance deal after haggling ( as long as price is in your favour) pay off early and save...( read there small print ) .this only works if you know the difference from what you where selling the van for and the cost of your new toy

You will always get a better price selling private... if you have time to hold out for the right buyer.

Have you bashed "we buy any car "yet?...the price you get will always go up a bit after a week.... miraculously.

Dealers are ruthless with the trade in value.... which is annoying as you will see your van being sold on the website a month later for 10/20% more than they offered you.

I .pulled them.up before on this, ...... cost of sale and running the business was their reply..... profit more like.
Fair is fair, eh? Businesses that don’t turn a profit aren’t businesses for very long! However, stiffing someone for £1500 because they had the courtesy to tell you that a crisis is impacting their ability to complete on a particular day is a bit rich! (Well, it would put me firmly in “Go do one!” humour!)

As for the “ah, but you took me into February!” arguments....it isn’t the 80s anymore!!!

Hi..I had heard that dealers give higher discounts on finance deals..( bigger margins) and it only works if you can pay off very early......so do the PX at a price that works for you then except the finance deal after haggling ( as long as price is in your favour) pay off early and save...( read there small print ) .this only works if you know the difference from what you where selling the van for and the cost of your new toy
I always thought that when it comes to PX whatever give you in one hand they take back with the other. Maybe just stick wit what I have ha ha

Fair is fair, eh? Businesses that don’t turn a profit aren’t businesses for very long! However, stiffing someone for £1500 because they had the courtesy to tell you that a crisis is impacting their ability to complete on a particular day is a bit rich! (Well, it would put me firmly in “Go do one!” humour!)

As for the “ah, but you took me into February!” arguments....it isn’t the 80s anymore!!!
Maybe cash is a bit tight for said VW dealer

Some businesses still run like this, especially volume sales ones.

I’d just say ‘ I got interested last week but it’s not worth it now. Thanks anyway. ‘
Letting them know they have just gone below the line but not letting them know where that line is. You need to decide where that line is though. Then see what happens.

I’d just say ‘ I got interested last week but it’s not worth it now. Thanks anyway. ‘
Letting them know they have just gone below the line but not letting them know where that line is. You need to decide where that line is though. Then see what happens.
Completely agree

That’s a good response, I like that :rofl:

Greedy that’s what it is.

The sales guy can’t even use the “it’s the me of the month” crap.

Pay a visit to another dealer and bounce them off each other. Tell him you were offered 36k by such the other dealer. One thing though, make sure they are not part of the same dealership. Nothing to lose.

I have done this in the past, twice, and it does work.

Get it listed on motorway.co.uk You'll get several dealer offers and possibly more than the current dealer offered. They will even come and collect from you.

I always thought that when it comes to PX whatever give you in one hand they take back with the other. Maybe just stick wit what I have ha ha
I’ve always played of Peter and Paul ( shop’d around ) if it’s a dealer with sale targets with manufacture contributions as incentives and it’s been know that financial loan bodies like VW’s own finance also offer contributions to get you on credit it can save up front costs but works in there favour the longer the loan is paid over.....but only works if you have cash to use or a much better loan rate ...I’ve used the likes of Hitachi capital 3.2% to off set a 6.9% dealer rate to save money....Kept my cash in the bank and used theirs

Greedy that’s what it is.

The sales guy can’t even use the “it’s the me of the month” crap.

Pay a visit to another dealer and bounce them off each other. Tell him you were offered 36k by such the other dealer. One thing though, make sure they are not part of the same dealership. Nothing to lose.

I have done this in the past, twice, and it does work.
I have an emailed purchase order from them confirming the £35k offer as well

That’s the ace in the pack, does it mention if the offer is dated, as valid for 30 days etc. If not get to another dealer show him that and off you go.

Happy days.

Back