Parked Leisure Battery Life...

Stay Frosty

Electrician
T6 Legend
Battery life that is.

Realistically camping without an EHU for the first time this weekend how long could a 100Ah SLA leisure battery be expected to power a Waeco CX50 fridge and other modest draw from lights etc?

I'm thinking real world experience rather than mathematical equation as I'm thick.

Also given the choice of cooling a carton of milk or running the Webasto heater should I simply put ice packs around the milk and leave the fridge off once at Busfest?

Ok it's not wild camping but without solar or a generator and no idea how much gas is still in our bottle it's going to test our survival skills... one other question and do we dress formally for dinner?:whistle:

Depends on what setting fridge is on - I tend to keep it on second setting on cx65 - lights tv phone charging 110ah I get two to three days if van doesn’t move.

I leave ice packs in the freezer regardless.

100Ah AGM, CFX35(Set @ 1degC) fridge, 12v cooler box, numerous USB chargers for phones/tablets/cameras + LED lighting + 300w small inverter . . . . . . . 24hrs for us.

So we have to use solar or recharge via DC-DC during day for the next 24hrs.

Though looking at others we may be classed as power hungry or heavy users of 12v power . . . .

Last edited:
Pre-chill the fridge at least 24hrs before you leave on EHC, I also use freezer blocks to get it very cool before I set off.
My mate freezes 2 pints of milk and puts it in door, which is an idea I may nick.

Obvs driving down its running and charging off vehicle. We then keep it on lowest setting, sometimes turn it off at night and then back on in morning.

Should last you the whole weekend at Busfest. The other option is to run the engine at some point for 25mins during the day to give it a recharge.

Main thing is not to stress about it, and try not to open the door too often. :thumbsup:

Sorry not sure what an SLA battery is and DOD depends on your battery make up. You need to do some research and calculations to give you a theoretical figure of time (temp and battery condition dependant etc) The fridge uses 5w of power. Divide that by 12 to give your current draw in amps (per hour consumption). This is whilst the fridge compressor is working (anything from 30% - 70% of the time). Do the same for your lights. Deduct your hourly draw from the available battery amperage and you have your THEORETICAL answer.

Cheers gents, as I said looking for others wisdom through experience rather than calculating and then flattening the battery still.
Van is a Euro 6 diesel so has the smart alternator and a Sargent ec160 which won't charge the leisure battery simply by running the engine when parked... maybe? Frightening thing is I still earn a crust part time as a sparky!:oops:

Cheers gents, as I said looking for others wisdom through experience rather than calculating and then flattening the battery still.
Van is a Euro 6 diesel so has the smart alternator and a Sargent ec160 which won't charge the leisure battery simply by running the engine when parked... maybe? Frightening thing is I still earn a crust part time as a sparky!:oops:
you need a DC-DC charger fitted if you want to charge the leisure battery properly when running the engine..... The starter battery will be at 80% all the time due to it being EU6.

if you have a splitcharge relay . . . . then your leisure will be 80 % max too. (add that to the 50% max DOD then you will only have 30% of the listed battery capacity)

Stop/start...regen...smart Alternator... Dc-dc Charger For Leisure Battery Or Not?

mobile solar may be an option . . . . . Mobile Solar Panels ? . . . - How I Did It -

or take a second battery with you . . . . swap it over if you run out of juice.

or take a genny + Smartcharger to charge it up if it goes flat.

cheapest option if you have none of the above kit may be a second leisure battery as a "swap out" job.

got any pics of you setup?

@Dellmassive and it's a shop bought camper setup by Redline and I guess a typical install from them with a leisure battery under the drivers seat and a Sargent EC160 in what's supposed to be a wardrobe.
I've got an idea of this installations limitations from the various threads/bun fights on here however I hadn't considered the 80% aspect of the smart charger as I could see from the Sargent display that the leisure battery voltage would climb after a journey, albeit not above 12.9 volts so far, in all fairness as a mild camper though and clinging to an EHU each time there haven't been any issues, take away that safety blanket and the panic commences.

Redline Quality Campervans | Features and benefits of a Redline camper

They dont specify if its a SCR or not . . . . . (maybe email them and ask how the leisure battery is charged?)

ELECTRICAL:
  • 25 metre mains lead (Classic included with optional Classic pack £199).
  • 1 touch LED lighting, under cabinet LED and floor level lighting.
  • 110a Leisure battery with fitted Sargant EC160 mains distribution and charging system (Solar charger option at additional cost).
  • 2 x USB Sockets.
  • 2 × 240v Sockets.

Battery life that is.

Realistically camping without an EHU for the first time this weekend how long could a 100Ah SLA leisure battery be expected to power a Waeco CX50 fridge and other modest draw from lights etc?

I'm thinking real world experience rather than mathematical equation as I'm thick.

Also given the choice of cooling a carton of milk or running the Webasto heater should I simply put ice packs around the milk and leave the fridge off once at Busfest?

Ok it's not wild camping but without solar or a generator and no idea how much gas is still in our bottle it's going to test our survival skills... one other question and do we dress formally for dinner?:whistle:
If you were in club camping you could do what @Fish does, and load up everyone else's fridge:whistle:

Following this with interest, mine is also a Redline conversion and a solar panel is something I'd like to add in the future.

What was I worrying about... leisure battery lasted easily and that was including having the interior lights on for at least an half hour in total!:oops:

Didn't try running the engine at all but did turn the fridge off Sunday morning after breakfast.:whistle:

What was I worrying about... leisure battery lasted easily and that was including having the interior lights on for at least an half hour in total!:oops:

Didn't try running the engine at all but did turn the fridge off Sunday morning after breakfast.:whistle:

Haha, great glad it all worked ok, I was a bit nervous the first long weekend off grid. Now rarely have EHC if just away for a weekend. :thumbsup:

Battery life that is.

The fridge is for beer, buy UHT milk.

Back