Park Pilot Operation Query

Farnorthsurfer

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I have Park Pilot installed as an option on my 2016 T6 4Motion but the front sensors don't operate unless I press the dashboard button. That is to say I get no warning at all unless I activate the Park Pilot.
It works fine reversing when I get the rear camera view and the beeping noise as expected.

I know its a different system to my 2014 Passat estate but in that I get a Park Pilot overlay on the reversing screen and the forward sensors automatically operate at parking speeds. Seems much better than the T6.

Found nothing in the manual about settings and have done the forum search but can only find Park Pilot error reports.

Can anyone help with operation or settings for automatic front operation?
Thanks

PDC only kicks in when you select reverse or manually press the button.. (including front sensors if you have them)

so it sounds like your is working normally.?

when you select reverse or press the PDC button do the front and rear sensors become active?

have you got a pic of your radio screen when its on?

t6-ops-display-on-discover-media.jpg

Thanks for the quick reply, sounds like normal operation then. I will get some photos of the front and reverse operation screens this evening to clarify the way it works.
I have probably just been thrown by the way the Passat B7 operates and was expecting a warning the other day.
Luckily for my Reflex Silver paint I stopped before I blind bump parked it into the garage wall :)

I know its a different system to my 2014 Passat estate but in that I get a Park Pilot overlay on the reversing screen and the forward sensors automatically operate at parking speeds. Seems much better than the T6.

That actually sounds like a good idea . . . . . whats the trigger speed? below 3mph or something?

so you saying your Passat will warn you of impending DOOM from the front sensors automatically below a set speed? . . . . . . interesting.

Does your bus not have ACC/City breaking? - saying that i wonder if the readar sensor would detect your garage wall properly.?

Oooh, What I wouldn't give to have ACC on the T6 as well as the Passat, it really is the dogs. However you can't everything and the low mileage 4Motion 180 T32 I found had lots of toys as standard but sadly not ACC or DSG.
It was however a lot cheaper than a new order with all the bits I wanted. The £20k I saved is going to go towards the conversion to retirement surf bus.
Anyway digression over, I will post up some info on the operation of the Park Pilot and see if I can get photos to post for the Passat system as well.
I have no idea if the Park Pilot and City braking is linked in some way on the Passat or if there are secret VCDS options on the T6 for the Park Pilot.

upload_2019-6-4_18-8-25.jpeg
Park Pilot works on front and rear when either reverse is engaged or dash button is activated. With overlay of van in reverse
upload_2019-6-4_18-10-13.jpeg
Approaching the wall, no warning at all. The Passat would be beeping away at this point and the graphic overlay comes up on the screen. I tried this at various speeds and in 1st and 2nd gear. Also didn’t work against a parked car.
Looks like PP only engages on request and is not ‘live’.

It would seem so yes.
upload_2019-6-4_19-0-25.jpeg
The Passat works pretty much the same way EXCEPT when you approach the wall/car/child’s bike, the warning beeps go off and change rate on distance. Seems pretty sensible, not sure why the T6 doesn’t do this. But then my Passat mirrors fold when I lock it up and have done since 2014! Not sure why I have to hack the VCDS on the T6 to get that to work but looks like I do. Maybe the warning is also a VCDS option?

Question related to this thread for @Robert if I can be cheeky and ask?
In your YouTube video of the VW T6 - vehicle interface & off road mode at 1:30 in there is a screen for Parking and Manouvering settings that has a check box for Activate Automatically. Can you get your T6 to automatically beep for forward obstructions on Park Pilot without pressing the dash button or selecting reverse?

I have had a good read of the thread on enabling the Offroad mode but its not of much use even though I have a 4Motion.
However it woudl be really useful to have the van enable Park Pilot automatically. My driveway is on quite a slope and I have to get as close as I can to the wall of the house.
Easy in our B7 Passat, need three hands in the T6.

Question related to this thread for @Robert if I can be cheeky and ask?
In your YouTube video of the VW T6 - vehicle interface & off road mode at 1:30 in there is a screen for Parking and Manouvering settings that has a check box for Activate Automatically. Can you get your T6 to automatically beep for forward obstructions on Park Pilot without pressing the dash button or selecting reverse?

I have had a good read of the thread on enabling the Offroad mode but its not of much use even though I have a 4Motion.
However it woudl be really useful to have the van enable Park Pilot automatically. My driveway is on quite a slope and I have to get as close as I can to the wall of the house.
Easy in our B7 Passat, need three hands in the T6.
Original/factory PDC system on a T6 doesn't support automatic activation.
You would need to upgrade your PDC control unit to get this feature.
More details here ----> Robert's "retrofits"

Original/factory PDC system on a T6 doesn't support automatic activation.
You would need to upgrade your PDC control unit to get this feature.
More details here ----> Robert's "retrofits"
So one of these PDC units Ebay PDC unit and a modified loom with a bit of VCDS coding will enable automatic park pilot and maybe parking lines on head unit. (Van has full Park Pilot and the top DM unit.
Where how do I get the loom modified @Robert ?
Really interesting work you are doing there, the thread is really for the side assist which is not really for me.
We mostly have single track roads up here;)

Back