paranoid now....

andy banes

VIP Member
T6 Pro
So as my 150 dsg t6 approaches 10000 miles i am now paranoid that the engine light will come on...yesterday i know it was hot but the van seemed to be doing the regen thing everytime i stopped four times in the space of an hour..

Also my stop start thing has started to stop operating when i am stationary at lights...and this light comes on at the time..top right...

your thoughts?

IMG_1594.PNG

So as my 150 dsg t6 approaches 10000 miles i am now paranoid that the engine light will come on...yesterday i know it was hot but the van seemed to be doing the regen thing overtime i stopped four times in the space of an hour..

Also my stop start thing has started to stop operating when i am stationary at lights...and this light comes on at the time..top right...

your thoughts?

Hey, I've got a 150 manual, regen seems to come on for me when I've filled the tank and then when it's half empty and then some random times too. If you've stopped 4 times in an hour you might have kept interrupting it and thus it'll keep going (mine sounds like a helicopter taking off if I get out while it's regening)

Also you get that light when it's decided not to use the start stop function, mine won't ever do it if I've got the air con going which I imagine you have had in this recent weather.

Hope that helps to some extent :)

Take it for a 15 min thrash down the motorway to regen the filter. Time for a visit to pendle performance to sort it out permanently.

Start stop works of the air-con is around 20 degrees on the dial instead of 18.

The van does 2 Regen's per tank without fail and 3 if I'm doing loads of town driving. A Regen can last up to 20mins and if interrupted will continue on next time you use the van.

I have a feeling I'm going to sound pretty stupid here but...what the hell is regen? I don't think I've ever noticed it.

It's a hot exhaust mode the engine goes into if it sees the pressure building up in the DPF (diesel particulate filter) and burns off the soot.

You may notice higher than normal idle rpm and the fan running like an Airbus on the taxi way.

Oh...I have never noticed! Would using a certain fuel make a difference? I run on BP Ultimate only which has that active cleaning whatever in it.

More down to driving conditions, the harder you drive it the less it does it.

No a Regen happens on all diesels.

Basically dpf has its own injector and glowplug, when the sensors either side of the dpf measure a difference in pressure the ecu makes sure the engine is up to temp, retards the engine timing which results in much hotter exhaust gas and then injects diesel into the dpf and ignites it to burn off the spot.
That's an active Regen.

Passive Regen is where the exhaust is hot enough on long motorways and it's clears automatically.

SOLUTION:
I had exactly the same problem. Eventual the engine management light came on permanently. Called out VW assist and it was identified as a fault with the DPF pressure sensor ie the sensor thinks the DPF filter is full of soot and goes into regen mode. VW have recognised this as a problem and have a 'campaign' on this which means the DPF pressure switch will be changed when you next take your vehicle for a service. They do not do a vehicle recall as I guess they would rather you broken down and since it isn't a safety issue therefore not deemed urgent.
Advise take your vehicle to dealer and get pressure switch and other items that are part of the so-called campaign rectified before you break down - hope this helps.

SOLUTION:
I had exactly the same problem. Eventual the engine management light came on permanently. Called out VW assist and it was identified as a fault with the DPF pressure sensor ie the sensor thinks the DPF filter is full of soot and goes into regen mode. VW have recognised this as a problem and have a 'campaign' on this which means the DPF pressure switch will be changed when you next take your vehicle for a service. They do not do a vehicle recall as I guess they would rather you broken down and since it isn't a safety issue therefore not deemed urgent.
Advise take your vehicle to dealer and get pressure switch and other items that are part of the so-called campaign rectified before you break down - hope this helps.
I've just had mine back from VW after my first oil service, hopefully this has been done then

Mine is going in for an engine ECU upgrade. S Quality improvement program

I think this a software update to reduce the number of regens... I wanted it done before I head off to France.

Back