Paint flaking off and rusting

karl brierley

T6 Pro
Firstly like to say hi to all. as new here and my first post.

I'm totally new to the T-world.

I took ownership of my T6 highline 150 about 8 weeks ago. having covered around 2500 miles and only opening a closing my side loading door. no more the general use. I have noticed the paint is flaking of pretty bad were the bottom door hinge/runner slides along. its also starting to rust by the looks of things. I have took it back to main dealers were bought it. for their thoughts on this. the warranty/service guy took some pictures ect. then told me he has never seen anything like this before especially on such a new van. after his investigations in seeing if I caused the problem. i.e. looking if something got stuck in their or caught on the hinge wheel. he told me it was a manufactures fault. saying when they have painted the van originally their must of been some grease or oil on the body work.. I'm currently waiting for their reply on how to sort this. but I now don't want to drive it in case I make it worse from water or salt getting into it.

has anyone else experienced the before? as any help would be very appreciated

many thanks karl

IMG_0090.JPG IMG_0091.JPG IMG_0095.PNG

Much like the dealer surprised to see it on such a new vehicle
I imagine they will be in touch soon to get it in the bodyshop and get it sorted

Hope all goes well with your problem a bit upsetting with your new pride and joy. Hope its sorted to your satisfaction

Goodness me that is shocking.
I had a paint manufacturing fault on an Audi A6 Allroad a few years ago. I went for the option of body coloured bumpers, and after just a month the paint started to peel off the rear bumper in great long strips. Took it back to dealer, and like you, they took pictures and sent them off to Germany.
Germany's response was to get the dealer to take it to a body shop and do just a local paint repair to the areas that had pealed. Told them where they could poke that idea and said I would accept nothing less than a full strip down of the bumper and complete repaint.
Stuck to my guns and that was what I got done. Therefore my advice (for what it is worth) - if they won't do it properly, make them buy the van back seeing as it is so new, and the difficulty that may be found in sorting it based upon where it is.
Hope you get it rectified pronto, good luck.

Hi Karl,
Sorry if my reply seemed harsh, pic 3 just after 3 o'clock there looks to be a dent in the sill.
Vw are dragging their heels with solutions to the California roofs corroding.
Do not be surprised if they will for excuses to decline responsibility.
Good luck with the outcome.

Kev

Goodness me that is shocking.
I had a paint manufacturing fault on an Audi A6 Allroad a few years ago. I went for the option of body coloured bumpers, and after just a month the paint started to peel off the rear bumper in great long strips. Took it back to dealer, and like you, they took pictures and sent them off to Germany.
Germany's response was to get the dealer to take it to a body shop and do just a local paint repair to the areas that had pealed. Told them where they could poke that idea and said I would accept nothing less than a full strip down of the bumper and complete repaint.
Stuck to my guns and that was what I got done. Therefore my advice (for what it is worth) - if they won't do it properly, make them buy the van back seeing as it is so new, and the difficulty that may be found in sorting it based upon where it is.
Hope you get it rectified pronto, good luck.

Hi DaveyB

shocking about Audi's first response on your issues :( good to here all got sorted.

I hope VW don't go down that route. because my response wont be well taken lol.. as for buying van back mmmmmm interesting lol...

thanks Karl.

Hi Karl,
Sorry if my reply seemed harsh, pic 3 just after 3 o'clock there looks to be a dent in the sill.
Vw are dragging their heels with solutions to the California roofs corroding.
Do not be surprised if they will for excuses to decline responsibility.
Good luck with the outcome.

Kev

Hi Kev

didn't take you reply bad :) after looking a photo myself it does look that way. but will re post new clean pic's lol..

if they decline responsibility I will damned my money back for van or a replacement throw the proper channels of cause. :)

Last edited:
@karl brierley , make sure they strip the section right back, de grease, etch prime, 2k prime, base then 2k lacquer the whole sill opening area. Also, you want a copy of all of their correspondence with the factory etc with pictures for your files. Go and buy a folder, and start a folder on the vehicle as well for any future defects that you may come across.:(:thumbsup::sleep::sleep:

What do you use the van for as i use it for tools and bathroom fitting have had a bit of shit in the chanel before but luckily not had paint flake on me, what would be the best grease/oil to put on there as when i clean i wipe it all off?

I'm with @DaveyB in this. If it happened to mine after 8weeks I would ask for a new van or a hefty compensation of some kind as that's terrible.

Hi T6dder
What do you use the van for as i use it for tools and bathroom fitting have had a bit of shit in the chanel before but luckily not had paint flake on me, what would be the best grease/oil to put on there as when i clean i wipe it all off?

I have not really put much in the back since I bought it to be honest. I'm in the lagging trade but don't use van for materials. we use the other work vans for that. I bought the T6 with the intensions of doing a full 4 bed conversion. 12-24 moths down the line. I use van just to do site surveys ect..

nothing has got caught in their as no marks on hinge wheel or any signs of scratching. the paints just flaking off to the bare metal. don't even look as if their any primer underneath :(

thanks Karl..

here are some better pics taken today. showing no bangs or dings ect. if anything looks like a ding ect its just water bubles on van as raining when took pics.

IMG_0138.JPG IMG_0139.JPG IMG_0140.JPG IMG_0141.JPG

@karl brierley , if you think that there's no primer then there is a serious issue with the whole van, as the primer is applied in a dip tank, same as the cleaning. Ask for VW to send out a tech to look the van over and get them to measure the paint thickness at varying points over the rest of the vehicle ( this is a non destructive test ). Remember, your in the driving seat here, as this is a serious fault so early on in the vehicles life.

Hi Dave

thanks for the info above I was not aware of the primer process ect. ;)

I'm going to see my cousin at weekend as he is a manger/supervisor of a well respected insurance approved body shop . I will keep you informed

thanks Karl.

,I did a tour of the factory and saw the shells going through the rust proofing process. Once the shells are finished after being welded they then get dipped to re coat any parts that were damaged after welding .They come through a room with really bright lights ,and are checked over before heading to the pant shop .
Bit of a mystery.

Hi Craig

mystery not the word.

vw warranty/service guy as agreed its a manufacture fault after inspection. just waiting on their answer to repair it. and believe me he inspected everything possible..

Back