Oil pressure issues after top end rebuild

JFWerkstatt

joshuaaitken
VCDS User
Trade Member
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Morning,
I’ve recently done a top end rebuild of a 2018 T6 2.0tdi with 104,500m after a cambelt snap. I’ve had all sorts of issues since doing the rebuild one of which was a misfire due to stuck injectors. This is now sorted.
Now she’s up and running I’ve got an oil pressure fault at idle. So far I’ve taken the sump off and checked the pickup gauze where I found a little bit of black sealant in chunks (was expecting a bit of head gasket sealant, the red stuff but there was none, weirdly). There were signs of the engine being apart before I was there, non standard sealants and broken plug clips. There was also quite a lot of debris in the sump (maybe this was sucked into the gauze, restricting the flow then fell out with engine off, no suction)? I don’t think it was blocked enough to cause a low pressure fault. Oil level was 3/4 up the dipstick with new VW 507 00 and it had a new genuine filter.

My next steps are:
Remove the oil filter, see what’s happening there
Rebuild the sump and put some new oil in
Check there is oil getting to the turbo
Start up and scan

I have a pressure tester on its way so I can confirm if it’s a genuine fault, also a genuine high and low pressure sensor in case it isn’t. I believe it to be a genuine fault as it didn’t give a low pressure warning until I actually drove it (only out of the workshop), 20 metres max. Initially at idle it was fine.

When the belt snapped, the guy driving said he put the clutch in straight away so there shouldn’t have been any bottom end damage (not that there should be as the pump is crank driven), also, cylinders were fine when the head was off, no damage.
No metal in the oil I drained initially and the filter was also fine.
The oil drained out last night was also clean, minus some debris in the bottom of the sump.

Any advice is greatly appreciated on this one, I will update shortly with my findings.

Cheers

Green oil px sensor was the culprit in the end, glad I took the sump off and checked the pick up though, belts and braces and all that.
If anyone searches and finds this post in the future, if you’re doing a top end rebuild, prepare yourself for £3k in parts (bare engine is £3.5k+VAT), also:

Send your injectors off for testing as close to the initial start up as you can
Remove the complete front end at the start of the job for access
Remove the starter for access to the egr fixings
Remove exhaust nuts *then extract studs in situ* you will not get enough room to remove the turbo with the studs in place (means you don’t have to drop the dpf)

Fun *little* job

Back