Not liking t6

Jeaniewigs

Jeaniewigs
VIP Member
Hi all I’ve decided don’t actually like having a T6. We bought ours in may and im really regretting it now. I don’t like the height it makes me feel queasy and I struggle getting in and out more than I thought I would. Life on the road is appealing to me less and less now that we actually have it. It has the potential to be a money pit, I’ve already spent a few thousand putting in two new front captain seats which are superb and a rocknroll bed the leather and the design is just beautiful. I don’t want to spend any more money that I haven’t got on it especially when we are not making all the trips promised so basically I want my car and my freedom back so my question is will I be able to trade in a stage 1 or 2 conversion, not sure what it is now, against a car. Advice pl.

Reactions: CAB
Not yet sparkzer I’m just thinking through options and I don’t fancy the hassle of trying to sell it myself because buyers will think there’s a hidden agenda when I’ve only had it a few months and I’m getting rid already I’d imagine, it’s just not working for me and I really miss the freedom I had with my car, I guess he jumped into buying too quickly it seemed exciting at the time but on reflection we were a pair of eejits really.

We sold our kombi only had a year and sold in September this year.
It was the dream spec van but we just never got it. Glad we tried it but we are sticking with the t5.1 now for pulling the caravan and slowly going to convert that to camper as we want a van in the family, and can do island hops etc with caravan as a base.
We found Facebook the place that sold ours actually a dealer bought it cash. Vw commercial weren’t interested. Also the market is probably at its lowest point, plus time of year etc.
As above list it on here and the forums on Facebook. A enthusiast will value your honesty and might be looking for just what you have done so far to the van.
What spec etc is the van? And what car are you going back to?

Hi all I’ve decided don’t actually like having a T6. We bought ours in may and im really regretting it now. I don’t like the height it makes me feel queasy and I struggle getting in and out more than I thought I would. Life on the road is appealing to me less and less now that we actually have it. It has the potential to be a money pit, I’ve already spent a few thousand putting in two new front captain seats which are superb and a rocknroll bed the leather and the design is just beautiful. I don’t want to spend any more money that I haven’t got on it especially when we are not making all the trips promised so basically I want my car and my freedom back so my question is will I be able to trade in a stage 1 or 2 conversion, not sure what it is now, against a car. Advice pl.
Wait until the spring and sell it privately otherwise your just lining a dealers pockets for very little effort.

Noticed ours has been reduced less than the dealer paid me! Now that’s a sign of the times!

Reactions: CAB
Hi cossie Ty for input I have no idea what Specs means sorry , that’s why I want it gone I have no knowledge of cars/vans and no inclination to learn I just want to get from a to b in comfort I get so stressed just going out in it and it is a shame because it’s such a lovely van but I think he bought it on impulse and really because of our health issues it wasn’t a good plan. I’m never ever gonna sleep in a van I have too many ailments it’d be torture it’s hard enough climbing into it.

Wait until the spring and sell it privately otherwise you’re just lining a dealers pockets for very little effort.
Ty DXX I’ll need to have a think if I delay then I have no transport that I can use till spring so I’ll prob go a wander to dealerships at the weekend and see what they offer in part exchange.

Noticed ours has been reduced less than the dealer paid me! Now that’s a sign of the times!
Really? Then you made a good choice at the time didn’t you.

I don’t like the height it makes me feel queasy and I struggle getting in and out more than I thought I would
Before you sell - and as @DXX says, wait until spring - have you considered a few things that may help, such as
- subtle lowering / anti roll-bar upgrade to level out the (undoubtably) heavy roof and stop body-roll when cornering? A roll bar from a T32 is stiffer than one’s fitted to T30’s/T28’s etc.
- grab handles on the A-pillar and
- side running-bars, both of which will help when getting in and out.

we are not making all the trips promised
What’s the reason for this - you not enjoying the van, or you being too busy to get away? The former could be tackled, the latter not so much regardless of what vehicle you own.

Post up some photos of your conversion because I’m sure there are a few other bits we all can recommend. It would be a shame for you to sell now only to perhaps miss out and regret it in future.

Ty DXX I’ll need to have a think if I delay then I have no transport that I can use till spring so I’ll prob go a wander to dealerships at the weekend and see what they offer in part exchange.
Car dealers will only give you what the boxes ticked and numbers on their criteria come up. It’s just a van to them. For example a Seat dealership we’re only offering 17k for ours max we sold for 27,500k as above get it listed on here with full run down of what the van is I.e engine size, mileage extras service history and plenty of pictures.
The best place to sell is amongst others you appreciate the van and want one.
As above it sounds crazy to spend more on the van but a trip/call to @CRS Performance could transform your van and maybe a few trips away even including the odd hotel and bnb to give you some more comfort might make you enjoy the van more.

If it’s health or time that’s stopping you try em as above it won’t matter what vehicle you own.
Good luck

We need pictures and spec of van

Before you sell - and as @DXX says, wait until spring - have you considered a few things that may help, such as
- subtle lowering / anti roll-bar upgrade to level out the (undoubtably) heavy roof and stop body-roll when cornering? A roll bar from a T32 is stiffer than one’s fitted to T30’s/T28’s etc.
- grab handles on the A-pillar and
- side running-bars, both of which will help when getting in and out.

What’s the reason for this - you not enjoying the van, or you being too busy to get away? The former could be tackled, the latter not so much regardless of what vehicle you own.

Post up some photos of your conversion because I’m sure there are a few other bits we all can recommend. It would be a shame for you to sell now only to perhaps miss out and regret it in future.
Thanks so much for taking the time to advise I’ll hang fire for now and I will try make more effort to use it I guess I’m not giving it a fair chance and just needed the pep talk from people who know maybe if I try a go driving it too that might persuade me, it’s an automatic so I’ll be ok with the driving it’s just the size of it I’ll need to get to grips with lol. Thanks again guys all great practical bits of advice and next week I’ll try get those steps I bought fitted locally. Many thanks

Car dealers will only give you what the boxes ticked and numbers on their criteria come up. It’s just a van to them. For example a Seat dealership we’re only offering 17k for ours max we sold for 27,500k as above get it listed on here with full run down of what the van is I.e engine size, mileage extras service history and plenty of pictures.
The best place to sell is amongst others you appreciate the van and want one.
As above it sounds crazy to spend more on the van but a trip/call to @CRS Performance could transform your van and maybe a few trips away even including the odd hotel and bnb to give you some more comfort might make you enjoy the van more.

If it’s health or time that’s stopping you try em as above it won’t matter what vehicle you own.
Good luck

We need pictures and spec of van
Hi Cossie thanks so much again and as you say there’s no way I’ll trade her for silly money. I’ve bought tickets for the caravan /motor home show at Nec on 20th so I’ll go have a look and a chat and try hard not to spend any money lol. Again thanks for the wise words it’s much appreciated.

Sell it on the motorway app. Sold my Audi Q5 and made a profit of £5K

it’s just the size of it I’ll need to get to grips with
A simple trick I was taught on my lorry course was to look in both mirrors before you approach an oncoming car in what looks like a right road - if your left and right rear wheels are within the white lines of your lane and so are theirs then you’re golden.
If you’ve got quite a bit of room on your left (nearside) then drift towards the white line / kerb a bit more whilst checking the mirror.
Drive along and keep checking that nearside mirror and you’ll start to get the hang of what the forward vision looks like when you’re half a foot or so from the edge of your lane (be that the white line / kerb).

Practice it on some of those large A-roads with solid white lines to the nearside - there it doesn’t matter if you cross the nearside white line, whwreas practising it in a road with kerbstones might lead to kerbed wheels!

One more question please is 100k miles in a 2017 vw transporter high.? I thought not as obv it’s only around less than 20k a year and we had it health checked by local garage After we bought it. We’ve only done about 200 miles in it since we bought it in may so maybe now with the new seats and a bit of effort we will try and use it more.

I tried selling my T6 campervan on Motoroway. Had to take lots of phots and spent a lot of time preparing for the "Motorway auction" I got one ridiculously low offer, This is not a good time to sell. Wait until February 24 and then you could try putting it on Sell My Campervan ⋆ Campervan Sales Platform ⋆ Quirky Campers. I got a couple of enquires but my circumstances changed and I need to keep my van a little longer.
Thank you Jim sorry to hear that I think I’m getting some great advice here.

Shame to hear your not loving your T6 and hope you can come to a resolution that suits your needs, some great suggestions above!

I think the size is often more perspective than fact. As an example at my work the car park security guard used to moan for me for bringing in such a 'large vehicle' when I pointed out (we used to have a good rapport so used to giving each other some stick) that is was pretty much the same size as the Audi A4 that was parked next to it he agreed. looking up the sizes online its almost the same size assuming a SWB T6 (4.904m x 2.297m) vs A4 Saloon (4.72m x 2.022m) but the van just looks so much bigger as its taller and more box shape.

If you have a LWB then it is obviously slightly larger with the extra 400mm length

The driving position is much higher up so also gives the feeling of a much bigger vehicle, I find this a big bonus as it gives much better visibility on the road, especially on motorway when you can see over other cars.

As others have said A pillar handles, lowering and/ or step bars make it much easier to assist getting in and out.

My wife has a Tiguan which you don't think of as a 'big car' however I find manoeuvring the van much easier as the wheels are nearer the front of the vehicle so it turns much better.

The other thing to consider, if you don't already is a reversing camera it makes life so much easier!

Back