Not a T6 but 2018 Tiguan dsg....

RobJH

T6 Pro
I know you're a helpful bunch and knowledgeable and im hoping you might be able to help with this...

2018 Tiguan 2.0tdi 190 dsg, driven faultlessly, I did get the dpf filter light over Xmas so took it on a run to clear.

Today, it drove as usual, 20 mins on the school run this morning and parked up until 3pm.

Jumped in and it had a severe lack of power, it seems the accelerator was not responding, gear changes seemed to hang. It was a snails pace to 30mph.

No warming lights at all. Plugged vcds in and again nothing.

I'm thinking about a forced regeneration just incase it is the dpf.

Thoughts?

It sounds like it has gone in to limp mode. There are lots of issues that can cause this. I've had it due to a faulty sensor on the steering when I was changing the suspension. Yours is most likely to do with the DPF, also have a look at the EGR valve it may be clogging up too. Not sure if there us an alarm for that like the DPF.

Limp mode was my first thought, just the lack of warning lights or fault codes in vcds that has thrown me.

Please post

1) full VCDS Auto-Scan

2) Please post adaptation and blockmap files from both engine and transmission

VCDS > Applications > Controller Channel Map >​
Preferably engine idling after a 20..30 minute drive thus all warmed up.​
Select for Single Controller Address - 01=Engine, 02=Transmission​

1668972027213.png
Tick the boxes as above and click Go

VCDS flashes screen for approx. two minutes. When finished click Done, Go Back and there will be files blockmap-01-..., adpmap-01-..., blockmap-02-..., and adpmap-02-... in folder C:\Ross-Tech\VCDS\Logs\...

Auto scan attached.

I'll have to do the other tomorrow as I don't fancy letting it idle for 20 minutes in the dark and cold.

Cheers

Attachments

• Log-TIG-WVGZZZ5NZJW827015-45697km-28394mi.txt
    22.2 KB · Views: 1
Auto scan attached.

I'll have to do the other tomorrow as I don't fancy letting it idle for 20 minutes in the dark and cold.

Cheers
Thanks..
Is it serviced by VW?
Have you reset engine fault codes recently - because emission readiness is flagged as not ready?
Readiness: 0 0 0 0 1
The symptoms are similar to VW TPI about this exact engine.
Address 01: Engine (J623-DFHA) Labels:. 04L-907-309-V1.clb
Part No SW: 04L 906 026 EJ HW: 04L 907 309 P
Component: R4 2.0l TDI H25 3661
Customer statement / workshop findings Customer statement:
• The engine has reduced performance. or
• The vehicle accelerates very slowly. and
• No warning lamps are on. Workshop findings:
• One or several of the customer statements can be reproduced.
• There is no event entry in the engine control unit about an engine complaint.

Revision history: Revision number: Type of change: 2046575/6 Change of "Measure" The table is not changed, if only the header is amended in a revision.

Technical background Incorrect software in engine control unit.

If the load of the diesel particulate filter rises to 40 gram (or more), the software of the engine control unit limits the torque (performance). But there is no warning lamp for the engine management system or the glow plug system is activated in the instrument cluster.

No event entry is logged in the engine control unit.
17.5.2020 Technical product information 2046575/6
Because of a software-related deviation in the engine control unit from a load of 40 gram a service regeneration of the diesel particulate filter cannot be performed with the Guided Fault Finding. The functional check is also broken off.

From these version, SW update : 04L.906.026 EJ 1816, 2108, 3015, 3661, Update to => 04L.906.026 EJ 3916

If this update is not done, there's a risk that the DPF will get clogged and only way to fix it is to replace the complete DPF unit.
The above quoted from here:

The software update is mentioned also here:

Would still appreciate the blockmap/adpmap data - no need to run the engine to verify the above (to avoid excessive soot accumulation now).

I had unplugged the battery to see if that would reset things, when I scanned it came back with a list as long as my arm so yes, I cleared those down and drove it again before taking this scan.

Reactions: mmi
To add, fully serviced by VW, it was only in with them in December for a major service. I'll grab the other scan tomorrow and upload it.
The TPi is pretty much bang on so looks like a software update is needed.

Last edited:
Blockmaps attached.

I really need to get this thing up and running sooner than I expect VW will be able to get it in.
Do you think an attempt to force a regen might get me back running if vcds allows it?

Attachments

• blockmap-02-0DL-300-011-N_WVGZZZ5NZJW827015-20230118-1413.CSV
    39.3 KB · Views: 2
  • blockmap-01-04L-906-026-EJ_WVGZZZ5NZJW827015-20230118-1414.CSV
    74.4 KB · Views: 3
  • adpmap-02-0DL-300-011-N_WVGZZZ5NZJW827015-20230118-1414.CSV
    468 bytes · Views: 2
  • adpmap-01-04L-906-026-EJ_WVGZZZ5NZJW827015-20230118-1416.CSV
    1.4 KB · Views: 3
Blockmaps attached.

I really need to get this thing up and running sooner than I expect VW will be able to get it in.
Do you think an attempt to force a regen might get me back running if vcds allows it?
Thanks. Yes, if you can run forced DPF regeneration it should solve the issue for now.

It looks like as described in the TPI. Below DPF statistics from engine's blockmap.

DPF_stats_b.png

IDE00420 - Service regeneration: current duration - indicates there isn't ongoing DPF regeneration (would be non-zero even engine was stopped while regenerating - until finished).

IDE00434 -Soot mass calculated is just barely above the 40 gram limit.

Other statistics (e.g fuel) indicate that there shouldn't be no excessive soot accumulation in the DPF - thus would be safe to trigger forced DPF regeneration.

The allowed limits - probably won't do DPF regeneration while driving but should perform (IDE00471?) Service regeneration of particle filter (under VCDS > Engine > Basic Settings). I'm not sure if engine needs to be warmed up beforehand by driving around a bit but VCDS should tell what/how to do.

Before launching I would set up the following measurement values for monitoring and logging (on Basic Settings screen)
DPF_stats_e.png
Temperatures S3 is DPF input and S4 DPF output. As soon as DPF input has reached 600 °C the soot levels should start decrease.

In the basic settings there is also another one which works only when driving (IDE01637?) Service regeneration of particulate filter while driving. On T6 this one was performed here:

I'm having no joy. Service regeneration duration doesn't start to count. It says hold brake and accelerator pedal and it sits at 1500rpm.

I tried a driven regeneration but that just times out.

Your previous blockmap showed 7L of fuel in the tank, is that enough to enable a re-gen to start?

Last edited:
You’re previous blockmap showed 7L of fuel in the tank, is that enough to enable a re-gen to start?
Indeed - well spotted!

I'm having no joy. Service regeneration duration doesn't start to count. It says hold brake and accelerator pedal and it sits at 1500rpm.
Obviously the exhaust temperatures didn't go up?

In the engine there seems to be also another counter for regeneration duration - probably need to monitor both counters.
1674151339723.png

A last resort would be to use an adaptation channel to fool engine to believe it got a new DPF.
VCDS > Select > Engine > Adaptation > IDE07903 Adaptation of ash mass to "0 grams"
This should reset also soot values (calculated/measured) to appropriate values to allow forced DPF regeneration.

Hi,

Sorry, had been away so had to leave it.

Thankfully a good friend was able to get it updated for me so it's back to normal.

Appreciate all of your help, its handy info to know

Back