Newbie questions / recommendations wanted

Looking for our first van, as much as I’d like to do the conversion myself not sure I will have the time and so looking for suggestions. Firstly, swab or lwb…other than a bit more storage any othe big advantages over a swb? And don’t think a lwb fits in a standard parking spot? Seems to be loads of 110bhp vans, carnt decide if that is the one to go for with so many around or If the 150 would be better option.

And the the question, anyone recommend any camper conversion companies within 2/3 hrs of stoke on Trent they would suggest I look at ? Looking for a T6/6.1 maybe new to two years old ideally as the base van.

Hi @Spanners70 - welcome to the forum.

For my two-penneth, I would (and did) go for a LWB - an extra 40cm makes a huge difference to the "living space", especially when the rear seat is in bed mode. Yes, there'll be a small overhang in a standard parking space, but it shouldn't be a problem if you choose your spot carefully,. Also, the extra length isn't noticeable when driving.

Go for the 150PS engine - the 110PS can manage, but it's not ideal when fully loaded as a camper. Ideally get a DSG, but now I'm increasing your budget whilst decreasing your available pool.

Oh the decision... you've got them all to come.

Reactions: CAB
Welcome. I'll echo Bav's suggestions - and I'd suggest that you need to think about load rating as well. We were told a T28 would be more than adequate, but having taken other advice and bought a T32, I can tell you that we still only just have load capacity when we're fully loaded! The other thing you absolutely must have are LED headlights!

There are loads of other things to consider, not least of which being which kidney to sell when you discover the cost of some of the conversions on the market! For example - some people say they can get a full conversion for £10 to £15k. If you decided you want to have a high-end poptop and something like VW's Cali seatbed on rails, you'll spend near enough £10k just for those. They'll be crash tested, will work, won't rattle, and will be trouble free for years though.

We were in the fortunate position at the time of being able to start with a blank canvas, so opted for a brand new van. That was in 2017, and of course the build time was only a few months then. We had our conversion done by Exploria in Brighouse and they did a fabulous job - as newcomers ourselves, there were all sorts of things we didn't know, some of which would have annoyed the hell out of me. I'm pleased to say the advice we got was very good.

Have a read through some of the "Similar Thread" suggestions as well.

@MikeB is spot on - a T32 is what you need for a camper. This is especially true for a LWB, which has a lower payload than an equivalent-rated SWB (due to being heavier). And, yes, the standard headlights are appalling, so LEDs are advisable (though there are aftermarket options available, so no biggie if you can't find one).

Re conversion costs - always budget on spending £10k more than you wanted to spend or £5k more than actually you have - whichever is the greater :cry:.

Reactions: CAB
Welcome Spanners.

A reversing camera can really help getting a LWB into a parking spot as you can get that much closer than just relying on parking sensors.

We can offer anything from ply lining to full conversions and are based in Glossop, just on the outskirts of Manchester.

Your welcome to come for a visit, brew and chat. We always have 2 Van's under conversions at different stages for you to view too.

www.ajcconversions.co.uk

Welcome Spanner’s Salop Vans in Shrewsbury have over 60 vans for sale it’s where we bought our new T6.1 from and we’ve been really pleased with it.
I have used Autokraft in Stoke on Trent for installing Smart split charge leisure battery, awning rail, dummy windows and tinting double seat swivel etc.
He also does full conversions.
John.

Welcome Spanner’s Salop Vans in Shrewsbury have over 60 vans for sale it’s where we bought our new T6.1 from and we’ve been really pleased with it.
I have used Autokraft in Stoke on Trent for installing Smart split charge leisure battery, awning rail, dummy windows and tinting double seat swivel etc.
He also does full conversions.
John.
hi just had our done at AJC conversions glosop highly recomend them they only do VWs
great company.
peter

Back