New T6 Owner - Having A Major Wobble....help?

Max

ok finally bullied the Mrs into getting another tranny having sold the Rangee...

She is a T6 kombi highline 150 on a pre reg...extras I ordered was a bulkhead and roof spoiler.

I got a good deal being a 2017 bog standard highline and I wanted silver for work .....however reading this forum I see that T32's are not so good if not carrying load which will be the case in 90% of time for me.

Have I made a big screw up?

Have had many t 5's previously and no issues whatsoever running on std sussies....now I'm flapping over the T32.....is there really a difference in ride between 30 and 32

Thx for help.....let the mods commence...hopefully not suspension

Matt

Reactions: F45
Ours is a T32 and drove it round empty for 4 months awaiting a conversion slot. Haven’t driven a T30 so can’t compare but I found it fine to drive. It is a firm ride but not overly so and I do tend to avoid potholes wherever possible but then I do in my Passat as well.

Having had it converted and ended up driving down a 5 mike donkey track (footpath) in pouring rain in Portugal I was very relieved to have the clearance and stiffer suspension. In my defence it had been a road once if the cattle grids and stop sign on it were anything to go by but neglected for at least 10 years.

It’s one of those things that if you build it up too much in your mind there is a risk it will start to bug you. We just enjoy driving it and occasionally you notice the ride but the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Most of the time I forget I’m driving a van and it just feels like a big car.

An empty T32 that has been lowered on springs can be a bit bumpy think thats what you are thinking off maybe ?

Got a T32. 99% of the time it only has 4 people and a dog in it. It sits on B14’s and is comfy as anything. I did not set out to buy any particular version over any other, but the T32 was what was on the forecourt that had the bits on it that I was after.

I'm driving T32 panel van more than 90% empty - just me. Standard suspension. As above it is a firm ride but not overly.
With a driver it has 1280 kg on front axle and on 840 kg on rear axle. Even empty it's front/rear are well balanced so even crossing speed bumps is just a pleasure :). My old T5 was T28.
:thumbsup:

Hi All, firstly thank you for the warm welcome and big response for a first post.....

Only today the panic hit me as I started reading that for no load a T32 is NOT the right choice as it's too stiff.
The issue is that most highline vans seems to be T32 in 150/204.

Oh well we will find out tommorow....

I'm really hoping the factory bulkhead will keep the "rumble" minimal.

In terms of extras now I just want a kenwood ice system and detachable tow bar....

Will update!

Cheers MM

Reactions: mmi
Welcome Max, whats a tranny ? is that short for transit ;) I have a T32 Highline and its has no weight in, just 4 empty seats, Billy no mates comes to mind, any ways you will not regret the choice, however your wallet will, welcome to the bottomless pit:thumbsup:

Welcome Max, whats a tranny ? is that short for transit ;) I have a T32 Highline and its has no weight in, just 4 empty seats, Billy no mates comes to mind, any ways you will not regret the choice, however your wallet will, welcome to the bottomless pit:thumbsup:
Hi Bryan, thank you for the reassurance.....I feel better already...

However the I now have new concerns of sudden upgrade interests...ice, led lights, sound deadening( if bulkhead is not so good), towbar......even the Mrs mentioned heated seats....argh...this is all too much :)

One sleep to go till she arrives :)

Sorry, I always called my previous transporters "trannies"... no offence to anyone here

welcome I've got a t32 with the bulkhead and I love it. I found on std springs the rear was a bit bouncy as I don' carry any weight in the rear often. I fitted b14s and H&R roll bars and it' so much better...even car like....firm but planted.

There's loads of threads on here to keep you going....one called 'operation B14s'

In my old T5 i only sound proofed and found there was no need to fit a bulk head, i will do the same in my T6 as i don't think there are that noisy

I have the exact model you have ordered and the transition from Merc was a tough one lol

Even with AMG suspension the T6 is alot more crashy HOWEVER im now 6 months in and its fine, just careful around potholes. I drove a t30 and it was the same so actually im glad i got t32 as it is stronger and has bigger brakes.

You will not regret it.

ok finally bullied the Mrs into getting another tranny having sold the Rangee...

She is a T6 kombi highline 150 on a pre reg...extras I ordered was a bulkhead and roof spoiler.

I got a good deal being a 2017 bog standard highline and I wanted silver for work .....however reading this forum I see that T32's are not so good if not carrying load which will be the case in 90% of time for me.

Have I made a big screw up?

Have had many t 5's previously and no issues whatsoever running on std sussies....now I'm flapping over the T32.....is there really a difference in ride between 30 and 32

Thx for help.....let the mods commence...hopefully not suspension

Matt
Evening Max
I have a T32 and the ride is fine. Don’t forget it’s a van you’re driving not a car and so whatever variant you could have chosen they are all vans.
My standard 17” wheels and tyres made the ride harsher than I’d have liked but they went and made way for 18” with chunky at’s.
Once you’re in the van the ride quality is forgettable because everything else just makes you smile. I have had fast cars, comfortable GTs, big off readers and nothing has given me more enjoyment than my T6 4motion 204 DSG.

Hi All, van was delivered, all as expected yesterday.......Pleasantly surprised by the ride quality..certainly not too hard and actually hard to differentiate from
a T28.....I did feel fatter tyres might help ( under hard braking).

The bulkhead is great and cab noise is fine.

Now for the real good news, having sold a Range Rover Sport, the wife was dismayed at having a van BUT she drove for 100 miles last night and said "it was absolutely fine"....Believe me this is a real shift from the divorce threats received only a week ago.

Let the mods begin :)

Thx all,
Max

Hi All, van was delivered, all as expected yesterday.......Pleasantly surprised by the ride quality..certainly not too hard and actually hard to differentiate from
a T28.....I did feel fatter tyres might help ( under hard braking).

The bulkhead is great and cab noise is fine.

Now for the real good news, having sold a Range Rover Sport, the wife was dismayed at having a van BUT she drove for 100 miles last night and said "it was absolutely fine"....Believe me this is a real shift from the divorce threats received only a week ago.

Let the mods begin :)

Thx all,
Max
Oh don’t worry, the divorce threats will soon come back with all of the bad influences on here! ;)
“You’ve spent WHAT, on WHAT!!!!!!!!! Please tell me you are joking” :(:cry:

Ok 600 miles on board and on the whole very pleased!

The wife loves the driving position, turning circle and kudos?? However we have hit a major and it is a major stumbling block coming back from Cardiff just now.......the lights...I'm simply horrified, my 1978 Renault 5 had better beams...

Ok so I can see its already been discussed on previous posts but what are my options and costs as in this form, it's not drivable at night....I'm sure my 2011 and 2014 trannies were better than this...

Also bespite bulkhead, I will get it sound proofed...how much should this cost?

Otherwise the van is great...150 is plenty powerful enough...what a great engine...

Cheers all,
Max

I also just bought roof rails and a rear bumper protector :)

Back