New potential common issue? [Manifold crack]

Tourershine

Senior Citizen.
VIP Member
T6 Master
It's no secret that my T6 is used every day, up and down the UK racking up the miles. I was also one of the first to find the EGR Flexi-pipe split issue because of this.
So am I looking at the next fault with the T6? Maybe I'm just unlucky, but I feel as it's not something I've read about on the T6, it's my duty to add this to the pages of searchable history.

A quick synopsis of the initial problem:

A strong fume smell inside the cab, and this time it's much stronger than the EGR pipe issue. The temporary fix: Leave your air recirculate button on, or you will genuinely pass out or throw up.

We finally got it into the garage and up on the ramp, where we quickly found the issue, although not the actual problem. A full rev of the engine will blow a plume of Black smoke out from behind the turbo. It's very obvious and easy to spot.
Initially assuming it was an inlet manifold gasket, we ordered a full set of genuine gaskets, including all the associated gaskets needed for the strip down, which by the way is immense. To access the back of the manifolds and remove them, means turbos off, cat off, subframe off, and loads of other things to allow the engine to tip enough to get this huge lump out. So if you are suffering from this issue, I'd suggest not taking it to the dealers, because it took us around 8hrs to remove and we are pretty handy and have all the kit.

Removal of the turbos and all the manifolds then allowed us full access to look for evidence of where the soot was blowing from and it wasn't difficult to find several cracks in various places around the cast manifold. This is by far the worse case scenario, because these manifolds are not a separate item. They come with the turbos bolted to them and only VW can supply them at an eye-watering £2000. This I could of swallowed as it's the first major issue I've had with my van that I've owned from new and now done 135000 miles in. What I couldn't swallow was the 4-6 week wait for the parts, which had to come from Germany and that's if they actually have them somewhere.
My van is my business and without it, my work stops. I could hire a van yes, but much of my kit is part of my van and removing it would be a nightmare.

So, what we've done for now is weld up the cracks, using Brass, which has been used in these situations before with success, because the Brass will flex with the cast expanding and contracting, or so I'm led to believe. The van is currently being built back up and only time will tell if it's cured the problem, but it will be pretty obvious pretty quickly.

Below is the full unit and you can see the Black soot around the turbo actuator, which was impossible to see where the crack was, whilst in situ.

20220426_113531.jpg

This picture is self explanatory sadly...

20220426_115610.jpg

Obviously this could be a one off if people are lucky, but I've since been told it was common on the T5.

Yes mine has been mapped and yes it's driven a lot and its a factory 204, but I am not having that the map is anything to do with this, because that was done 3 years and 80,000 miles ago with zero issues, but it's just information for any other T6s that may suffer from this as a reference.

Good job there, with a £2k part and 8 hours and 135K did you not consider a replacement low milage replacement engine?

Good job there, with a £2k part and 8 hours and 135K did you not consider a replacement low milage replacement engine?

Not really. If I went down that route, I'd just replace the van, but even that's not a quick fix because there's such a long wait for a factory order.

I’m sure the stealers would body-swerve that being a warranty matter

amazing work . . .

well done @Tourershine

so 120K+ miles and a exhaust stink on a BiTurbo power unit.

after having the EGR flex pipes done . . . All Noted.

i wonder how long they will take to produce a V2 casting thats stronger to prevent this?

iff at all as they have moved over to the T6.1 199ps power unit?

same BiTurbo assembley?

Good on you sorting that .
Some hope on the back order parts maybe - recently had a nightmare with wife's Audi - needed new ECU - told at least a month by Audi parts .
Car ended up with Audi & they escalated ECU & managed to get it in about a week .

Hopefully the welding works as a long term fix .

Which is why I think it may become more common on the T6s
Possibly so, although I hope not. Good work on fixing it. Darkside Developments made an uprated one for the 2.5 V5s, I've got one in my garage somewhere that I never got round to fitting! T5 is long gone now.

Is this part, and therefore fault, only applicable to the 204 engine or would 150’s etc be susceptible too?

I had the case with my t5 140 tdi, the manifold was cracked, at 290000 kms, replacement of the full turbo because it is also a set.

amazing work . . .

well done @Tourershine

so 120K+ miles and a exhaust stink on a BiTurbo power unit.

after having the EGR flex pipes done . . . All Noted.

i wonder how long they will take to produce a V2 casting thats stronger to prevent this?

iff at all as they have moved over to the T6.1 199ps power unit?

same BiTurbo assembley?

If you think of how a cast manifold is made and what it's job is, plus the insane amount of heat and constant expanding and shrinking, I don't think this is an isolated incident and the more I look into this, the more manufacturers pop up with the same problem going back years.
This could almost be something we can accept as owners of hard working high mileage vehicles, but the fact that Volkswagen force you to stump up for the turbo (2 of in the bi-turbo vehicles) when my turbos are mint and free of any damage or wear, is the main gripe for me.

If it wasn't for the shortage of new T6.1s at the moment, I'd of changed mine over a year ago, but I'm very reluctant to pay the increased prices the current shortage has created, knowing that by the time it's sell or PX time, this bubble might of burst and the residual value would be even more painful. Plus a used twin slider, DGS, LED, with my rear seat configuration is impossible to find, so factory order is my only option.

My T6 owes me nothing now, and I am extremely fond of it, but in my head, this is potentially the beginnings of major wear and tear items, including the fact I have a DSG still on it's original clutches. As you know, reliability is key to my work, and now I've got that niggling feeling at the back of my mind.

Possibly so, although I hope not. Good work on fixing it. Darkside Developments made an uprated one for the 2.5 V5s, I've got one in my garage somewhere that I never got round to fitting! T5 is long gone now.
Let me know if you find this as I might buy it! I have a T5 with the 2.5 and it has the original pressed steel manifold which is leaking.

I have found it. Looked last night. Still got manifold, bolts and carefully wrapped in bubble wrap and original box. PM me.

Back