New Highway Code Rules

Murdoch

Electrician
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Ok, who understands them?

apparently they are changing as of this coming Saturday.

I’m all for change…..but Cyclists and Pedestrian's have also got to take some responsibility and not blame motorist ….just make sure you have a dashcam and City Braking :(

They will, but rather than the intention of getting everyone to be observant, use common sense and not be so impatient, it will just make the haters on all sides hate more.
A big chunk of the road users (note, I don't say motorists) out there don't even know that the Highway Code is going to change, never mind understand the new code, so I don't see many people sticking to it.

When turning into a road and there’s a pedestrian about to cross so you not wait already? Do you not give cyclists adequate space when overtaking? If cycling do you randomly ride all over the place? If yes then this will impact you as it will in some way force you to consider other road users, if not then it probably won’t change anything.

I do a bit of cycling and when needed I try and ensure I pull over to take control of the lane, when not I try and keep out the way as I don’t want to be used as a traffic control measure (how often are islands hit by vehicles and missing!), saying I should stay in the way and then only pull over when I think a car is going fast seems crazy and will lead to tailgating.

But I only cycle for exercise and try and keep off the roads at rush hour and school pickup. As it is noticeably more dangerous to cycle at those times and to get us out of our vans and onto our bikes for the essential journeys something has to be done to make this safer as we can’t have 2 separate roads networks we have to share somehow. These changes are an attempt to help

The hierarchy of road users is certainly a good thing, we all have a equal responsibility to care for each other on the roads/pavements etc. This is a common sense thing. The bigger the object the more responsibility and extra care required.

Some good quick (excellent) vids explaining the new rules.

H1 - Hierarchy and Responsibility

H2 - Pedestrian Priority

H3 - Cyclist Priority at Junctions

The hierarchy of road users is certainly a good thing, we all have a equal responsibility to care for each other on the roads/pavements etc. This is a common sense thing. The bigger the object the more responsibility and extra care required.

Some good quick (excellent) vids explaining the new rules.

H1 - Hierarchy and Responsibility

H2 - Pedestrian Priority

H3 - Cyclist Priority at Junctions

It's the common sense thing that worries me in this country... seems to be seriously lacking in most people on the road!

It seems like most (if not all) of these “changes” are just clarifications of what people should already be doing, but many road users are not.

I think the most important thing would be to for the government to make people aware of these changes via TV ads or the like, as otherwise many people will carry on driving badly and putting people at risk.

It seems like most (if not all) of these “changes” are just clarifications of what people should already be doing, but many road users are not.

I think the most important thing would be to for the government to make people aware of these changes via TV ads or the like, as otherwise many people will carry on driving badly and putting people at risk.
Sorry, I dont agree that these are what people should be doing. I dont believe that having to stop on a main carriageway, (on which the speed limit could be 60mph, when turning left or right into a small side road) to allow some pedestrians to cross is the right thing. I can see vehicles doing this getting rear endend on too many occasions. In this case the safe way is for the pedestrian to check that there are no cars turning before they cross.

Sorry, I dont agree that these are what people should be doing. I dont believe that having to stop on a main carriageway, (on which the speed limit could be 60mph, when turning left or right into a small side road) to allow some pedestrians to cross is the right thing. I can see vehicles doing this getting rear endend on too many occasions. In this case the safe way is for the pedestrian to check that there are no cars turning before they cross.
So if you are doing 60 in the van then swing into a side road barely slowing down,
1. Can you let me know your suspension setup, it’s much better than mine
2. What would you do today if there was someone already crossing? Mow them down or wait?
3. What would you do if you wanted to turn right? Plough through the oncoming traffic, or stop and wait?

When I see an 18 metre long articulated HGV in city traffic and junctions to the nearside ahead, with a cyclist overtaking on the nearside I always suspect that the cyclist doesn't want to live. These new rules encourage that type of riding and in my opinion put cyclists at more risk. Being in the right isn't much good when you're under a lorry wheel.
The people who make the rules seem to have no awareness of the sheer size of HGV's, and lets face it, our supply chains run smoothly (ish) because of HGV's.

Yes. The turning left option is the classic left hook, where a motor vehicle partly passes the cyclist then swings left and crushes them. The motor vehicle should wait. If the cyclist is going up the inside (for example on a painted cycle Lane) the motor vehicle should wait. Indicating to turn does not give the vehicle the right to cross another lane regardless.

Turning right example - more likely here the vehicle is in stationary traffic and the cyclist is filtering. Happened to me in when a car pulled a U turn with neither mirror nor signal.

These have always been in the HC, just greater clarity here.

When on a bike I am always watching for drivers doing this, and in the van I’m looking for the gaps the other users might be in.

You are not permitted to run people over if they are crossing a street. So yes, you do already need to wait for people to cross the road before making a turn. Please slow down in areas with pedestrians, driving at 60mph on those roads is very dangerous!

Is that an official picture?

If the motorbike is turning left, then he shouldn't have overtaken the cyclist in the first place so close to the junction he intends to turn into. If the motor bike is turning right, then he would have taken the right hand side of the lane way before the junction, therefore leaving no room for the cyclist to be along side him.

Back