New garage door recommendation anyone?

Sackmycook

Ex-owner
T6 Legend
Have decided to replace my sectional electric garage door as its 20+ years old and playing up. The spring broke a few years ago and the replacement is temperamental in that it doesn't seem strong enough and the door will think that something is obstructing it and flick half open. It's not very well insulated either and I can see gaps around the frame at the top when it's fully closed. Looks like an old electric closer too on a belt drive system and spares seem in short supply.

Looking for national/local recommendations for a standard single roller style new door in anthracite, full insulation.

My dad had a 'Garolla' garage door fitted not so long ago and he is really pleased with it. I'd like to get one eventually, the extra height you can get with a roller door vs the current up and over door means I would be able to get the van in the garage.

garolla.co.uk

My original roller shutter door was an Autodoor but they went bust a while back, I needed a replacement shutter after an attempted burglary and got it from Autoroll at Washington, reasonable price. You could fit it yourself with a little DIY experience and some help to manouvre the shutter into place.

My original roller shutter door was an Autodoor but they went bust a while back, I needed a replacement shutter after an attempted burglary and got it from Autoroll at Washington, reasonable price. You could fit it yourself with a little DIY experience and some help to manouvre the shutter into place.
My wife suggested I do it myself aswell.
Had to remind her she was talking to the man who impaled himself on a hedge cutter a few years ago which nearly cost me a leg !

The first job I had done when I bought this place was to remove the up and over door and replace with a pair of barn doors,1/3 2/3 split. powder coated steel with insulated sandwich , steel frame, double locked, it is far more secure and allows me to have the small door partially open without allowing visual access to anyone passing. Supplied by The Birmingham Garage Door Co I am very happy with it.

The first job I had done when I bought this place was to remove the up and over door and replace with a pair of barn doors,1/3 2/3 split. powder coated steel with insulated sandwich , steel frame, double locked, it is far more secure and allows me to have the small door partially open without allowing visual access to anyone passing. Supplied by The Birmingham Garage Door Co I am very happy with it.
My mate in Coventry used BGD and was very happy with them :thumbsup:.

I had a pair of SWS SeceuroGlide Excel roller doors installed at the end of 2019. Very pleased with them. Not the cheapest but thicker and more secure than some.

The downside other than cost of thicker doors is that the roller box is bigger and if the ceiling height is fixed there is therefore less headroom when rolled up.

Search continues after visit from Garolla surveyor/fitter. Despite being quoted £990, seems my single opening is 'a big one'. It isn't. Plus a coloured door is extra , a 4 metre extension socket is extra, need a thicker door, extra !!
Result was a 50% increase in the quote. This was despite everything I asked for being noted in the original quote.
On your way mate

I went with Birkdale - been very happy since I had my electric roller shutters fitted about 4 years ago. They mention nationwide fitting on their website, so might be worth taking a look mate...

Back