Need help with Install of new headunit

Suttus

Hi,

I’m trying to install a Kenwood DMX5020DABS into a VW T5.1. I’ve not installed a stereo for about 20 years so I’m a bit out of practice.

I’ve plugged in the ISO quad lock connector to the previous looming and into the back of the new headunit but nothing happens when I turn on the ignition, suggesting it’s not getting any power. I assumed it got this through the ISO connector, or am I missing something?

F0EE2692-E73C-45E6-92D3-E07B8A60EA1C.jpeg5EBD00A2-96AD-4655-B51C-357B30D04D4D.jpeg

depends on the make and the model of vehicle, sometimes you have to swap the red and yellow in the loom. it'll be mentioned in the manual for the head unit if this is the case, so you're going to need to read a few bits

I’ve checked the connections are correct and the yellow permanent live and the red ignition all line up correctly.

Yeah I checked the old radio still works. I think I’ve noticed that the red ignition live cable goes off to an input for steering wheel controls which I don’t have so I think I need to connect that up to a piggy pack in the fuse box somehow?

Connect both lives to a known 12v supply if it still doesn't work surely that would suggest a dud unit?

WRT the red ignition live and the yellow permanent (memory) live...

with the meter, are both of these correct and at 12v at the right time in the connector that you plug into the head unit?

I’m fairly sure there’s no 12v ignition feed going to the headunit, but not sure how to get it to it.

so strip out the iso loom, cos looking at the first pic, theres two yellows coming out of it, so we know its been messed with.

now find the pins in the original vw wiring that correlate with the two 12v feeds, and in conjunction with the earth, find out if they're doing what we expect.

Have you checked the canbus connections? Not an expert by any means but I know if these are incorrect you won’t get the head unit powered up.

Also the blue cable on the fm adapter needs connecting to the blue wire on the loom

Back