Need Help For New Van Configuration

tony123

Hello,
I'm considering getting a T6.
I'd like some help in understanding the configuration options.

Model : I can see that many options that can be added on Transporter / Caravelle are the same. If I add specific options, is it possible to turn a tranporter into a Caravelle, or are there other differences between these models other than options ? Also it seems that a highly optioned basic Transporter is more expensive than having the same options standard in a different model. Why would anyone chose that?

Motor:
The 204 horsepower version is only available on Transporter utility vehicles, but not on Caravelle. Why is that and does it make any difference? Would it be a good idea to get a 150 hp instead to get better reliability? I'm thinking that a biturbo is more complicated and therefore more likely to cause costly repairs, is that correct? Again for reliability is it better to go for the manual transmission?

Options for suspension :
I thought adding options for reinforced suspension, shocks and stabilizer bars was improving off road capability, but the vw salesman told me its only useful for workers who need to carry a lot of weight in their van, in which case it would be useless for me. He also said 4motion was not worth it. I think he does not want to add too many options because he thinks if the final price is too high I'll get a used vehicle instead (which is correct). But I'm curious in which scenarios 4motion and stronger suspension could be useful. If indeed it just adds cost and weight to the van then I'll pass.

Heating / AC :
There are options to add a programmable parking heater and also secondary AC in the passenger / load compartment. Is there any point to these optiosn if there is a bulkhead and no passengers? Or maybe if someone plans on converting the van to a camper ?

which options are must have according to you?

Thanks!

Hi Tony,
It depends on what you intend to do to the van in the long run. Camper, Kombi, etc
For example, if you want a camper, I wouldnt suggest a Caravelle as this does not lend itself to conversion. If you want to convert to camper a good spec panel van will be best as its a clean sheet.
a 150 BHP highline is a good place to start, highline etc and you can REVO remap to higher power if needed.

You can always upgrad esuspension to Bilsteins, air etc if needed.
DSG or manual is personal choice. DSG are great, not graet if you need to fix them. If this van will last you years, go for the spec which suits your needs. If a van for a few years, go for a more generic spec as it will appeal to a larger market.

Good luck.
Rgds
Ian

Hello,

If I add specific options, is it possible to turn a tranporter into a Caravelle, or are there other differences between these models other than options ? Also it seems that a highly optioned basic Transporter is more expensive than having the same options standard in a different model. Why would anyone chose that?

Thanks!

I'll have a go at your first point.

Basically, if you spec a Trendline up to that of a Highline, it's still a Trendline and its desirability on the used market will reflect this, either in terms of demand or price.

Similarly, a panel van specced up to a caravelle is, a panel van and again, its desirability and price on the used market will reflect this.

Unless you're going to keep the van for 10 years plus, it's always worth considering the sell-on value and how you can keep it as high as possible by speccing with the right sort of kit. Which leads to your last question.

When speccing your van try and understand the spec the market will want when you come to sell the van on. Few people are going to want the leopard skin print seats you've specced but they'd want the nice leather, the Climate Control, Auto box, Adaptive Cruise Control, Satnav etc. But consider also that your spec will depreciate at a faster rate than the van itself. For example, you may pay a grand or two for an integrated SatNav but it would only be worth a few hundred after 3 years, at best. This is because of two reasons: firstly, at a given price range buyers expect various bits of kit to be standard. Secondly, after-market satnavs are very cheap now so the vehicle on the forecourt with the nav would be more desirable but not necessarily more money than the vehicle without.

People like/prefer alloys and these will hold a premium over the steel wheel versions. Similarly, people like aircon but they'd like climate control so spec that, if you can afford but bear in mind that the price difference between the two will be very similar/the same, after 10 years.

Heated front screen, very desirable in the winter but how much of a premium does it command over a used van without the heated screen? Not much actually, it simply becomes another "selling feature" and wouldn't necessarily command much as a premium.

The bits that do retain a good premium are the things you can point at rather than say some safety features which are under the bonnet, such as safety or handling enhancements. Leather seats, auto, alloys and the 'right' colour are all good starting points.

Sorry, bit long-winded but hope it helps.

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight. If I buy new I will spec it to my needs and not worry about resell value. In my case the main upside of buying new is to be able to customize the van to my liking.
I want to move some of my stuff to a different city and that's how I started thinking about getting a van, could be useful. Also I could put a motorcycle in the back, and maybe use the storage area as a camper for short weekends. But maybe this casual use does not justify the cost of buying new and I would be better off with a 200,000 km 2.5 TDI T5 without AdBlue.

Thanks for the insight. If I buy new I will spec it to my needs and not worry about resell value. In my case the main upside of buying new is to be able to customize the van to my liking.
I want to move some of my stuff to a different city and that's how I started thinking about getting a van, could be useful. Also I could put a motorcycle in the back, and maybe use the storage area as a camper for short weekends. But maybe this casual use does not justify the cost of buying new and I would be better off with a 200,000 km 2.5 TDI T5 without AdBlue.
I'd go for the high mileage T5. If a transporter isn't for you then you've lost nothing, if you decide it is the vehicle for you, you'll know exactly what you want from the next one.

Back