My New Van

That looks great......what's the quality like up close? I'm only asking because VW really know how to charge for that lower grill trim piece!! :thumbsup:

The quality is acceptable. Certainly I think they are worthwhile, and I'm pretty fussy as to what I will accept.

Love it.

I gave them in my basket. First mod when mine arrives I think!

A few tips on fitting them.
The trims come with a curious cleaning product which actually leaves behind a sticky residue. So just be careful that you only use it where the trims will sit.
The lower grille trims are in three separate pieces - two short sections for each end and a longer centre section. Take some time looking at the shorter end sections as none of the sections are marked for orientation. You'll find that one end of each short section is shaped to fit into the outer edge of the plastic grille - it has a sort of inverted 'J' shape at one end. I fitted both end sections tightly into the outer end of the plastic grille and then fitted the centre section - there is no overlap.
The trims themselves will benefit from a session with some metal polish. Their general finish is very good but on mine the edges of the trim showed some machine polishing residue. I used some metal polish on the edges which removed this - better to do it with the trims off.

Last edited:
My van is at Slidepods having the first stage of its conversion work undertaken - the fitting of an SCA194 pop top & bed. I was hoping that Jonny and his team would be able to complete some of the stage 1 'custom' work I've committed to as well but it looks as though it will just be the roof. (To be clear that was all that was committed to by Slidepods for this work slot - I was just hoping that the planets would align for me.....)

Whilst it has been away I have been investigating other mods, as you do.

It's now booked in with Transporter HQ for Bilstein B14s. I did investigate the Bilstein B12 Pro kit but have decided the ride height flexibility of the B14 kit might be an advantage as my van takes shape. At least I know I can trim the ride height as required.

I'm also on the verge of buying a set of H&R Trak+ 25mm wheel spacers to go at each corner. I don't dislike the Devonport wheels at all, but would like them to fill the wheel arches a little more convincingly. If money were no object I would fit a nice set of 'Y' spoke 18in wheels but right now any extra cash would go on things that I see as more of a priority in getting the van where I want not to be. The engineer in me is 'slightly' appalled at the use of spacers with their additional unsprung mass and greater hub loading though.

I've also bought a folding 150w solar panel kit: 150W 2x75W Folding Solar panel kit READY TO GO
My rationale for this is to keep the leisure battery topped up when the van is parked up for a few days - typically this will be at some the shows I photograph. Jonny and his team have promised to come up with a neat way of hooking it up to the van electrics.

I'm also on the verge of ordering a compressor coolbox - a Webasto Isotherm Travel Box TB41. I'm holding off at the moment as I don't believe the van electrics will be done until my van goes back to Slidepods in late July.

I'm also on the verge of ordering a compressor coolbox - a Webasto Isotherm Travel Box TB41. I'm holding off at the moment as I don't believe the van electrics will be done until my van goes back to Slidepods in late July.[/QUOTE]

Will you fix in the travel box or leave it loose?

Yellow hound was it difficult getting the custom mats created? Did you provide a template/dimensions? Was the price fair? I think it looks great!

Yellow hound was it difficult getting the custom mats created? Did you provide a template/dimensions? Was the price fair? I think it looks great!

Rugs for Bugs produced it for me. It did take an absolute age from providing details to delivery (I don't know why). I gave Nick at R4B a dimensioned drawing. What he produced fits perfectly so I am very happy. Cost is very reasonable.

Vision Leather Upholstery fitted their seat upgrade to my van yesterday.
I am delighted with how they've turned out and how much more comfortable they are now :)
Recaro upgrade in leather and alcantara with seat heating!

Vision Seats-1.jpg Vision Seats-2.jpg Vision Seats-3.jpg Vision Seats-4.jpg Vision Seats-5.jpg Vision Seats-6.jpg Vision Seats-7.jpg

Back