mpg

SBarty

I've got a 2021 T6.1 150bhp DSG on 20"wheels and the fuel consumption is horrendous. It averages between 24-28mpg. I do not drive quickly, it is converted into a camper so has a bit of added weight. I was hoping it would improve as it had a few more miles on, but now over 20k and no improvement. Any suggustions on how I could improve this MPG would be very welcome. Thanks

Smaller wheels would help. Also low rolling-resistance tyres and possibly a DSG re-map.

I've got a 2021 T6.1 150bhp DSG on 20"wheels and the fuel consumption is horrendous. It averages between 24-28mpg. I do not drive quickly, it is converted into a camper so has a bit of added weight. I was hoping it would improve as it had a few more miles on, but now over 20k and no improvement. Any suggustions on how I could improve this MPG would be very welcome. Thanks
The width and profile of tyres can greatly alter the rolling radius compared to OEM.
Some aftermarket Transporter wheels can/have/are fitted with tyres 9% larger diameter than OEM.
This could affect the performance and also the perceived economy. You could be travelling further than odometer states?

Try this site to compare OEM vs current fitted;
Rim & Tire Size Calculator. Custom Offsets

Also, consider checking what tyre pressures others are running with similar setup.
Andy

Last edited:
I think you will be reading low on the mpg by 2 or 3 miles if you have say 275/45/20 tyres or similar rolling radius.

I‘ve gone from 40 mpg, with 17” factory wheels and tyres, down to 35 mpg with 18” rims and 255/45 budget tyres. I reckon I’d be about 36/37 mpg with a premium set of tyres with lower rolling resistance. You just can’t beat the physics I’m afraid.

I‘ve gone from 40 mpg, with 17” factory wheels and tyres, down to 35 mpg with 18” rims and 255/45 budget tyres. I reckon I’d be about 36/37 mpg with a premium set of tyres with lower rolling resistance. You just can’t beat the physics I’m afraid.
@SBarty . As @laidbackian said.
And that’s with a wheel/tyre size setup that should give a virtually identical rolling radius to the original 17” OEM setup.
The efficiency rating of the tyres will affect consumption.
There are always trade-offs;
Ride/harshness/rolling resistance/grip/noise/wet & dry grip/off-road ability/longevity etc

My Van is on 18", same engine. 31-33 MPG average, over long distance can get 36-38mpg.
On my old T5 going from 18 to 20 I have lost 3-4 MPG. so probably 28Mpg on your conversion is still decent. I see 24-26 Mpg on short journeys these cold days.

I have a 2014 t5.1 dsg remapped by darkside to 150bhp on 20x9s and if I drive super light on the pedal can manage 43mpg at best. But the guys behind aren’t happy about it. But only have to put my foot down a touch and boom under 30mpg

Back