Mothballed T6

Nigel W

T6 Guru
Some advice please, my T6 DSG LWB Camper has not been started/moved since September. The batteries have been kept charged and it has been regularly washed/polished.
I do go and sit in it most days as it is loved and we keep it taxed and insured in hope!
Usually we could start using it again early this year but it now look as if it will not move for months yet.
My question is should I start the engine occasionally just to keep things turning?
Any other tips for the extra long storage would be appreciated.
Thanks all.

A six month lay up doesn't do any harm really.

My Mk2 Golf lives in the garage for that amount of time over the winter. I over inflate the tyres so that they hold their shape (with a note on the dash to remind me to reduce them before driving it.) I never keep much fuel in it as petrol goes off (not sure about diesel) so when it gets filled, the stale stuff gets well diluted. I also start it about once a month, move it about a few feet either way and let it get warm enough for the fan to come on with the heater flat out. Whether this is necessary or not I don't know, but I figure it gets all the fluids moving to all the places they need to go. I leave it in gear without the handbrake on too.

Some advice please, my T6 DSG LWB Camper has not been started/moved since September. The batteries have been kept charged and it has been regularly washed/polished.
I do go and sit in it most days as it is loved and we keep it taxed and insured in hope!
Usually we could start using it again early this year but it now look as if it will not move for months yet.
My question is should I start the engine occasionally just to keep things turning?
Any other tips for the extra long storage would be appreciated.
Thanks all.
I’ve read that ur tyres over time may develop flat spots...tips I’ve heard are pump up to max (so tyre holds its shape ) or mark tyres with chalk and every so often move /rotate tyre so it doesn’t sit on same spot...but the old classics is sit the vehicle on axle stands...my only issue with starting engines is ensuring the oil gets to all the parts that it lubs and it’s enough to keep DPF clean ...the sad bit is Rule 123..not supposed to leave engines running on the highway or unattended....so good luck and stay safe:thumbsup:

from a old-skool mechanical point of view,

start the engine and allow it to get up to normal temp once a month. (maybe 15-30mins depending on temp)

That allows all the fluids & oils to circulate and keep bearings and seals from drying out.

from a new-school point of view they would say that leaving the van for 6months or so would not be an issue. . . .

if it was me, id keep the batteries charged, keep the tyres inflated/rotated and start the engine as above.

In addition to the above, which I agree with, I believe you ought to use the air conditioning periodically to move the refrigerant around the system and stop the seals from drying out or deteriorating. If I'm wrong somebody will correct me.

Thanks all for your good advice - hopefully we will be able to go to France in Sept - fingers crossed.

Back