Mileage Recording Incorrectly By Mot Station

Wattt6

Firstly, getting excited, due to collect my T6 up this week from Leighton vans - cant wait!

This isn't really a T6 issue so feel free to move if in to the correct place but after a little help or advice from forum members.

I been trying to sell my XC60 for a couple of months now, excellent condition FSH and priced keenly but not had one viewing, quite a few enquiries but all drawn a blank. Anyway, this morning I contacted Evans Halshaw to get them to buy it and got a call back saying there was a mileage discrepancy and they wouldn't buy it until it was resolved.
After phone calls to HPI and doing a few further checks, it appears 2 years ago when an MOT was failed the garage wrote the mileage til next service rather than the odometer mileage. The next day on retest the correct mileage was recorded. So there is an anomaly and the mileage drops from 50k to 15K then back to 62K a day later.
I am being told this could take 6-8 weeks to resolve with DVSA if indeed it can be sorted.
Does anybody know how to rectify this quickly? and can I sue the garage for this mistake as it has cost me money. The value of the car has dropped £600 since I first advertised it and I expect even more if it takes a couple more months to sort. I appreciate it was an honest mistake but its now costing me and I need the car sold for a house move.
Personally I wouldn't risk parting with £12k on a car with mileage issues, I'd move to the next one so I can now understand why it hasn't sold. does someone want the same hassle when they come to sell.

Mate of mine had exactly the same issue with Disco 3, he had received an offer he was happy with from We Buy Any Car, car was giving hassle and major expense and he just wanted shot of it. Went in to do the deal and their checks highlighted a mileage discrepancy via the MOT, at first MOT by Land Rover dealer, it had been incorrectly recorded by 10,000 miles. WBAC dropped their price by around £2500. DVSA said that this could not be rectified as it was over a year since the error.

He is not someone to be messed with and went round to LR dealership, pointed out their error to the dealer principal and told him he wasn't leaving his office till he agreed to match the original offer from WBAC. Eventually they agreed to it, dealership weren't keen though as they were fully aware of various ongoing issues with said vehicle.

The MOT was done by a small local garage, so they're certainly not going to buy it from me - I can see this going to the small claims court.

You're going to have to speak with the garage involved whatever happens, as going to the small claims court means you're wanting them to reimburse any difference. You have to sue someone, and it won't be the DVLA.! Smallclaims need proof, and just going on what you've told us won't be enough.

You'll have to record what you have done to recover the loss, which will be the tasing station conversation.

Good luck..

I know, I'm already contacting people that have emailed about the car to get the reasons they did not buy. and have proof that Evans will not buy the car.
I don't want to cause trouble for the garage as they are a small family outfit and its an honest mistake but if it costs me ££££'s then why should I lose as I have paid a profesional to perform a service (MOT).
I spoke with the garage earlier and after quite a rude reaction by the man over the phone when I called down and spoke to his wife she tried to help. Shes going to phone DVSA on Monday and try and sort it.
I just need the car sold and rather it get sorted Monday but if its going to drag for weeks or not get sorted then I'll want compensating. Surely Liability insurance must cover for mistakes??

(the car has lost £600 in value since I first advertised it according to the autotrader suggested sell price)

When was the car first advertised, and at what price..?
What is the value of the car as it stands now..?
The difference is how much to base your recompense upon. Currently (from what you say) you are only suffering angst, but not out of pocket. I suggest you've done the first contact by phone, and keeping up a dialogue.
Next stage would be to have a meeting with the garage & the management of it or their representative. You need to be pleasant but firm, and state what you want as an outcome, that way they have wriggle room. Don't demand. They may choose to buy the car themselves, or they may simply make a payment, but this is likely to have an official letter attached. Businesses don't give cash away..!

cheers Steve,
First advertised at £12000 now at £11200 which is below Autotrader's current recommended price (and these are always lower than the prices of similar vehicles listed on their site) - ours is now the cheapest face-lift model in the country with the exception of a few 120K plus mileage ones.
Evans offered £10900 but have declined to buy after the HPI check.
Autotrader suggested £12000 initially and today £11400 so a £600 loss there.
How do I put a value on a car with 'mileage discrepancies'? - one that most people will not buy
I need to sell the car to use for a house deposit so need it resolving quickly.
Do you think its worth speaking to their liabilty insurers if we cant resolve?

It sounds to me me that it is going to cost you more in legal fees than its worth... if we're talking £600 here?

Small claims court can cost thousands when the solicitors start to get involved.

If you can sell the car & need the cash, then do that. Logically, you need to minimise the loss and from what i read, you're best off getting shot ASAP. Better to get the difference in cash for the new house from somewhere than lose the sale & get all the stress from not having at least most of the money value.

You then have proof that you're out of pocket, but that takes the time pressure off your hand and will enable a clearer head.

Speak with the garage and keep up the dialogue. They may need time to decide what to do, and how to do it. You have to be a nice thorn in their side, just don't make threats until you're sure of your ground or they'll call your bluff.

It's a shock to you, but I'd only resort to legalities as a last resort for all the reasons Dellmassive points out.

If you have any legal additions to house or car insurance, they will also offer advice. You don't have to set that advice in motion if you don't want to..

Firstly, getting excited, due to collect my T6 up this week from Leighton vans - cant wait!

This isn't really a T6 issue so feel free to move if in to the correct place but after a little help or advice from forum members.

I been trying to sell my XC60 for a couple of months now, excellent condition FSH and priced keenly but not had one viewing, quite a few enquiries but all drawn a blank. Anyway, this morning I contacted Evans Halshaw to get them to buy it and got a call back saying there was a mileage discrepancy and they wouldn't buy it until it was resolved.
After phone calls to HPI and doing a few further checks, it appears 2 years ago when an MOT was failed the garage wrote the mileage til next service rather than the odometer mileage. The next day on retest the correct mileage was recorded. So there is an anomaly and the mileage drops from 50k to 15K then back to 62K a day later.
I am being told this could take 6-8 weeks to resolve with DVSA if indeed it can be sorted.
Does anybody know how to rectify this quickly? and can I sue the garage for this mistake as it has cost me money. The value of the car has dropped £600 since I first advertised it and I expect even more if it takes a couple more months to sort. I appreciate it was an honest mistake but its now costing me and I need the car sold for a house move.
Personally I wouldn't risk parting with £12k on a car with mileage issues, I'd move to the next one so I can now understand why it hasn't sold. does someone want the same hassle when they come to sell.
Must admit my wife's VW Beetle has very low mileage eg 10k in 6 years. And all her MOT's have been carried at VW dealership. We have never seen a copy of the MOT so we would not know if they had put the wrong mileage down till we come to sell it !! poor system.

Back