Mid-seats with bed

mattrad

T6 Pro
I've just bought a 2016 SWB Kombi and could do with some advice, please. I'm trying to figure out the bed options, without going for a roof or rock n roll bed. Ideally, I'd like to move the second row of seats back to a mid-position, then use something like the Forty Winks - but with half the platform behind the seats, and half in front of them. Then I get a decent cab size, with some storage at the back. So good for everyday use and touring, with a bed option tucked behind the seats.

Does anyone know of any bed systems that will allow you to split the frame like this?

while the divots are in the floor pan to fit the kombi arrangement floor brackets (effectively where the third row of seats would be), the seats clash with the inner wheel arches which would need 'dressing' with a hammer. Also, the seat belts are different. If you swapped to a triple bench seat this would drop straight in, using only 4 brackets in the floor.

Many people make their own bed frames - my plan is to use some Ikea screw on desk/table legs (£2.50 each) and some appropriate thickness ply. Then just carpet cover it. 8 legs, two bits of ply and you could make them fit easily. Also, you'd probably be able to fit the middle frame in the back when not in use though you'd need to check dimensions. Additionally with mine I was going to add some eye bolts to the underside so I could ratchet strap them down to the lashing points. Cheap Ikea mattress and van bed sorted for about £200.

Being two boards with screw on legs makes them fairly easy to store in the garage when not in use (as opposed to a welded up box frame)

Thanks @Paynewright, that's really helpful. Plenty to think about on changing seats, and with a few of those Ikea legs knocking around at home already, I should have a cheap bed in no time :p

Back