main dealer EGR cleaning - what's involved?

Fluff34567

Swiss member
T6 Guru
hello all,

I tried searching here and google for an answer but nothing came up...

How do the VW dealers clean the EGR? I assume they disconnect the EGR pipes and then connect a machine that runs a cleaning fluid through the EGR, or am i expecting too much ?

From what I've understood it takes more than just flushing it through to get rid of the caked up carbon deposits inside.

Spoke to two garages and both said you might as well replace it.

hello all,

How do the VW dealers clean the EGR? I assume they disconnect the EGR pipes and then connect a machine that runs a cleaning fluid through the EGR, or am i expecting too much ?
When VW did mine they told me that’s exactly how it’s done, but it runs the stuff through for a few hours.
They quoted me £867+vat to replace mine (204 bitdi)

I've just been quoted 1200 to replace the valve and cooler.

Mines also a 204. And I’ve only had it for a month, not pleased!

OK cheers I have the 204 dsg 4m and lots more work than a normal fwd.
Mines the 4M too, although not dsg, I’d be surprised what the extra work is to replace the egr. It’s accessed from above via a bit of a strip down of the front end.

Mines the 4M too, although not dsg, I’d be surprised what the extra work is to replace the egr. It’s accessed from above via a bit of a strip down of the front end.
Apparently the dsg blocks access to the bolts for the rear pipe connection. When I has the pipe replaced last year the dpf was removed to give access

hello all,

I would assume that a lot of garages recommend replacement as the haven't invested in the tools for flushing. From what I've seen (a good friend has the tools) it is essentially a solvent/detergent soak and then the loosened debris is flushed out with a massive blast of compressed air from a special high volume cylinder.

Back