Mad To Buy A 260k Mileage T6?

260k too much?

• Yes

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters

rlg

Having recently sold a much beloved T4 2.4d campervan I am now in the market for a more modern version to be an everyday vehicle and slowly convert (Slidepod for example).

Am I mad to buy a 2015 EU6 148bhp DSG? It's well equipped and looks tidy but that makes it about 26 years old right! I do very little mileage but still it's a lot, Do the gearboxes last that long?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this question, only just joined.

260k in 4 years wow! I presume it has exemplary service history. Anything major changed. How much?

I need to find out exactly what sort of history it's on for £12,990 and just had bushes done (apparently!), no major changes as far as I can tell, I'd get a full inspection done but don't want to waste time if this is pretty-much a write-off at that mileage. Thanks so much for getting back to me just check bmvs.co.uk - wish I had the budget for some of the stuff you have on there, really nice stock!

We used to run Peugeot Bipper vans at work (small city vans) and ended up putting 195,000 on them in 2.5 years. They were quite literally falling apart so were sold for about £800 each, French vs German...

Errrr, wow! That's a lot of miles in a few short years. I, personally, would be looking for a different deal. A van with that much on the clock has had a hard life. I'd question whether it's a good deal on the longer term. There are a few people here who would know better but as a non-experienced buyer I'd be looking elsewhere. If you're a mechanic then maybe you could keep it going for a while...

Reactions: rlg
I’d say it needs to be a lot cheaper, PM me the registration number and ill give you an accurate valuation. That’s nearly 1200 miles a week, so has sat on the motorway its whole life. On the continent, they wouldn’t even worry about starship intergalactic mileage. We have customers though our Worksop with this sort of mileage on older T%’s, and they run sweet as a nut, but they’ve done all th mileage.

However that’s a lot of mileage and wear on trim, paint, and the whole van in general, you might up spending a lump to get it right and never see that money back again. Do you have a link to the advert?

And on a 15 plate is it not a 140? And is it a T5?

And a 2015 wouldn’t be an EU6 would it ?
(Ready to be corrected)

Pete

Late 2015 from memory.

I had a 2007 Vivaro that had done 300k and I did 270k of that. I changed the oil every 5000 miles, used quality fuel, and it never went wrong.
My mate owns it now, and it's still mint with no issues.
I'd but a high mileage vehicle off me, but maybe not one I didn't know the background of, unless it was stupid cheap.

Mad to buy it with that mileage? Maybe not ... Mad to buy it at £12990? Yes. If you’re stretching your budget to get that, then what are you going to do when, not if, lots of things start needing to be renewed? Walk away unless they can slice that price down. I’d be looking at a much lower mileage T5 for the same or less money.

Great stuff so far making my mind up already! Wasn't sure we could put links up anywhere here goes:

Saved Adverts

Reg is RF65 SYA

Might be worth a very low offer, low enough to change gearbox and engine with the change... I'll stick to the T5 and hope they don't go nuts with emission zones etc probably

And it will be EU6 as it came out in the passenger variants of the T6 first - I stand corrected

That's a powerful spec for a taxi. Prob a posh taxi, but it knows Heathrow and Gatwick better than most planes!

might just be the light but it doesn’t look a uniform silver colour in the pictures on their website..

After a second, closer look, it looks rather tired. The seat cushions look worn and it's multi coloured. I reckon you'll be spending money constantly just to keep it going.
I think you would be better with a lower milage T5.

I bought my 1st T5 back in late 2008, 55 plate lwb Kombi with 135k miles. It cost me £1800 in just over a year in repairs.
I sold it to a m8 who had to put in a new gearbox 6 months later, I would never buy a high miler again.
I still see the van around, even at Bognor Motors :D

Back