Low mile range

twm_vanventures

Yesterday I filled the van with diesel the estimated range was around 415 miles. I guess that is pretty low and I am worried about this as expected the range to be higher than that.

Any advice on how to improve MPG is very much appreciated. I am considering on the following actions - to install cruise control in the vehicle, remove the leisure battery and install a solar panel instead and remove the vehicle interior trims and carpet line the whole vehicle (apart from the flooring which has altro flooring which isn't an issue).

Best wishes

I’m lucky if I get 400 miles to a tank mixed driving conditions
I’m not one to get to hung up on mpg it is what it is I’m not convinced any of your plans would it improve it much! The range is only an estimate and will go up or down depending on how the vehicle is driven

My 204 bhp T30 (full camper conversion) cab be ludicrously thirsty around town (high teens sometimes if I'm doing lots of short journeys in traffic), but I got from Bristol to St Andrews on 3/4 of a tank last week (420 Miles) which is about 33mpg. 4 guys plus 4 sets of golf gear. As @Chippie1 suggests, ripping out a few things won't make much difference, and your shower panel won't power anything at night so you'll still need your leisure battery!

I've just come back from Austria and was quite taken aback by my MPG once I used BP Ultimate or Shell extra. Here is the post I made on it.

I've just come back from Austria and was quite taken aback by my MPG once I used BP Ultimate or Shell extra. Here is the post I made on it.

It depends on where you get your fuel from? Interesting post - thanks

Thank you so much for reassuring me. It hasn’t gone on a motorway yet as I’ve been driving around town. Got it recently that’s why. It seems like the estimated range will improve on the motorway?

Reactions: CAB
My experience of cruise control is that it returns poorer mpg than my right foot, so I doubt adding cc will help any.

What size wheels are you running? 20" will not be as fuel-efficient as 16"/17" wheels.

I can drive from St Andrews to Camberley on a full tank. 473 miles I have a fully converted van. It’s all very dependant on how you drive your bus.

Steady speed can do incredible things. I have achieved 750 miles on a long run at 60mph On ACC. 80LT tank. Used 75LT. Roughly 45mpg. 65mph I get 38mpg 70 33mpg 75 29mpg. At steady 100mph in Germany I was surprised to get 27mpg. 150 DSG - engine mapped.

Yesterday I filled the van with diesel the estimated range was around 415 miles. I guess that is pretty low and I am worried about this as expected the range to be higher than that.

Any advice on how to improve MPG is very much appreciated. I am considering on the following actions - to install cruise control in the vehicle, remove the leisure battery and install a solar panel instead and remove the vehicle interior trims and carpet line the whole vehicle (apart from the flooring which has altro flooring which isn't an issue).

Best wishes

Any weight you save will make an insignificant difference to fuel consumption, it's a big blunt 2 tonne van.
Cruise control is sometimes useful, but won't save you any fuel.
As others have said, driving style is key to fuel economy and short journeys are bad for fuel economy in any vehicle.

Steady speed can do incredible things. I have achieved 750 miles on a long run at 60mph On ACC. 80LT tank. Used 75LT. Roughly 45mpg. 65mph I get 38mpg 70 33mpg 75 29mpg. At steady 100mph in Germany I was surprised to get 27mpg. 150 DSG - engine mapped.
Is it worth considering an engine re map? I was told it’s not advisable on a 5 gear engine as would do more harm than good

Any weight you save will make an insignificant difference to fuel consumption, it's a big blunt 2 tonne van.
Cruise control is sometimes useful, but won't save you any fuel.
As others have said, driving style is key to fuel economy and short journeys are bad for fuel economy in any vehicle.
Thanks Dave - much appreciated

Back