looking for advice buying a T6

IainMcG

Morning all,

Having never owned a van and longing after a Transporter for years, I now have the green light and am good to go.

I am hoping that some of you might be able to answer some questions I have

I am after a T6 Kombi. I think I am looking for a LWB but would consider a SWB

- Can anyone tell me what the load length of a SWB is from the bottom of the rear seats to the tailgate

- Is there a significant benefit to getting a EURO 6 (150bhp) engine vs the EURO 5 (138 bhp engine apart from the additional +/- 10bhp?

- I have heard that the BiTurbo (180 bhp) models are prone to issues and if they occur they can be expensive. Does anyone have any opinions on this.

- I see some of the Kombis come with a 2+1 split rear seat and some come with a 3 seat bench. Am I correct that the 3 seat bench doesn't look as comfy and would also limit the capabilities a bit.

- Are the rear 3 seat bench seats fixings interchangeable with the 2+1 split type that fold flat?

Many thanks in advance on any advise that you can give

Thanks
Iain

Welcome! :thumbsup:

Mine is a SWB Kombi, you can fit a sheet of 2.4 x 1.2 in the rear with the rear seats removed or folded down, just. With the rear seat removed I can get 3 metre posts in the van with the post poking through next to the handbrake! As far as I know the LWB is about a foot longer.
The benefit of the EU6 engine is it is more refined, more powerful and you will find it easier if you intend to go into London or other cities with emissions based charge zones. There have been some members on here who have had issues with the adblue system / dpf and some think the EU5 engine is less troublesome.
I have the three fixed rear seats. The seats are comfortable enough. Mine are in the garage, nowadays I prefer to maximise the space in the van and don't carry more than one passenger. Be aware, this is extremely heavy, you would not want to be taking this out and reinstalling it very often! I'm fairly certain that the floor mounting brackets mean that it is not interchangeable with the split seats.
The reported issues with the 180 Biturbo is not something I can offer advice on, mine is a 140, but if you use the search facility on here you'll find more info.
Good luck!

Welcome! :thumbsup:

Mine is a SWB Kombi, you can fit a sheet of 2.4 x 1.2 in the rear with the rear seats removed or folded down, just. With the rear seat removed I can get 3 metre posts in the van with the post poking through next to the handbrake! As far as I know the LWB is about a foot longer.
The benefit of the EU6 engine is it is more refined, more powerful and you will find it easier if you intend to go into London or other cities with emissions based charge zones. There have been some members on here who have had issues with the adblue system / dpf and some think the EU5 engine is less troublesome.
I have the three fixed rear seats. The seats are comfortable enough. Mine are in the garage, nowadays I prefer to maximise the space in the van and don't carry more than one passenger. Be aware, this is extremely heavy, you would not want to be taking this out and reinstalling it very often! I'm fairly certain that the floor mounting brackets mean that it is not interchangeable with the split seats.
The reported issues with the 180 Biturbo is not something I can offer advice on, mine is a 140, but if you use the search facility on here you'll find more info.
Good luck!

Thanks Dave

That's a big help re the bench vs 2+1 fixings being different. I am sure you can get the fixings switched but obviously at additional cost. The split for me could be quite key if it is a SWB as I would want the ability to fold the single seat down to get a bike in

Will need to keep researching the BiTurbo issue. From what I have read so far it is the early EGR Oil coolers that were the issue

Could you fit a 10’ longboard in a SWB on the floor?
I have had half a dozen 3 metre (About 10 foot) scaffold boards in my SWB Kombi, although the ends were up near the handbrake, between the front seats, yes it's not a problem.

hi mate got lwb van from where tailgate meets body to front of sliding door just 9ft outside length so maybe not from edge of caravelle floor[front] to tailgate threshold 112 inch approx

Last edited:
Is there a clear 2mt in the back of a lwb kombi behind the seats ? I need to get 3 mountain bikes in the longest of which is 79 inches

Thanks Dave

That's a big help re the bench vs 2+1 fixings being different. I am sure you can get the fixings switched but obviously at additional cost. The split for me could be quite key if it is a SWB as I would want the ability to fold the single seat down to get a bike in

Will need to keep researching the BiTurbo issue. From what I have read so far it is the early EGR Oil coolers that were the issue
As regards the 180bhp BiTurbo issues as long as the have revision D of the EGR then they wont have that problem. As far as I am aware even the early T6s had the revision D fitted.

Is there a clear 2mt in the back of a lwb kombi behind the seats ? I need to get 3 mountain bikes in the longest of which is 79 inches
I doubt it, although it would be cose. In a SWB with Caravelle seats pushed as far forwards as possible (thats almost against the front seats there is 173cm to the tailgate.
That would be 213 in the LWB. But I would think the Kombi seats will be more that 13cm further back.

Back