Locking nut failure

geotravtim

Anybody have their locking wheel nut socket disintegrate?
£130 to get new nuts and the old locking nuts taken off.
Surely it’s a design flaw in the socket? Made of butter.

How old a vehicle? How many miles?

Usually only see issues when they been tightened up too much when having wheels off / tyres changed.

How old a vehicle? How many miles?

Usually only see issues when they been tightened up too much when having wheels off / tyres changed.

If they can’t manage being tightened and loosened a few times, they’re not fit for purpose.

(I’ve got a Defender and the locking wheel nut on that is industrial strength)

Ps.. there’s a difference between being tightened, and tightened too much.

When this was happening to my Hyundai, the considered wisdom of Google was to mash a socket onto the offending nut. Then replace with non-locking (given that the locking nut makes it harder for you, and is no real barrier to the thief)

When this was happening to my Hyundai, the considered wisdom of Google was to mash a socket onto the offending nut. Then replace with non-locking (given that the locking nut makes it harder for you, and is no real barrier to the thief)
I’ve done this before to remove a broken locking wheel nut - easiest option imo.
If you get rid of the locking nuts will this impact vehicle insurance if the wheels are stolen? If they found out.

There should be a number or a colour on the key. They are just generic keys of about 30 that get reused ( good selection on flee bay). We have ford, vauxhall and kia lockers for when a customer can't remember where they put it. Failing that we use a brass smash nut that moulds to shape. I agree that air guns shouldn't be used for wheels as they do a fair bit of damage to the keys aswell as the threads. We have to have torque setting and pictures to prove that we don't gun them on for insurance and paz stuff.

Back