Lifos

Ian28

T6 Guru
Lithium battery itself works but the associated App for monitoring SOC, voltage etc. doesn’t work. The only way of knowing battery status is via the vague indication given by the Sargent readout. Emails and multiple calls to LiFOS have been ignored - very poor customer service for a product which sets you back a fair amount.

Have you tried loading the app on different devices?

Say a friend or family tablet or phones?

I's it 100% the battery ?

Hi @Dellmassive - yes I’ve tried 2 iPhones and an iPad (in both light & dark modes). They all recognise the battery but can’t actually connect with it. Tried in several different locations too. Looks like it’s not an uncommon problem with this App and others have had similar lack of response from LiFOS.
Just read you’re excellent thread on lithium battery monitors - I really want to be able to monitor my leisure battery since it’s not a daily driver and as you say the voltage remains pretty constant even when the SOC is dropping.
The Victron BMV looks a great piece of kit but possibly overkill for my needs - would the BM2/3 be a good alternative for my lithium battery?

.....I’ve got a CTEK 250 SA charger if that makes any difference. Had my conversion done before the SE came out. It’s the 68mA LiFOS I have too.

The BM2 is a great voltage monitor, though not so great at determining the SOC on a lithium......

The current in/out meters will be more beneficial..... like the victron BMV712 or similar.

The Ctek DC-DC will charge your lifos battery . . . . . But possibly not fully, this is due to a lower than 14.6v required to full charge the battery....

I’ve had a similar problem with the SuperB Epsilon. I had to reset the internal BMS which rebooted the Bluetooth. Dunno if that can be done with the Lifeos, but I’d be surprised if you can’t.

I’ve had a similar problem with the SuperB Epsilon. I had to reset the internal BMS which rebooted the Bluetooth. Dunno if that can be done with the Lifeos, but I’d be surprised if you can’t.
How is it done on the SuperB?

How is it done on the SuperB?
There’s a reset button under a cover on top of the battery, however when the battery locks up, the button doesn’t work. There’s a row of jumper connectors at the side of the button for interlinking multiple batteries, you have to apply 12V across a couple of the jumpers, can’t remember which ones off hand. But it does the trick.

There’s a reset button under a cover on top of the battery, however when the battery locks up, the button doesn’t work. There’s a row of jumper connectors at the side of the button for interlinking multiple batteries, you have to apply 12V across a couple of the jumpers, can’t remember which ones off hand. But it does the trick.
Here you go
jumper 2 pins 3&4
904C85F5-9732-46B9-87AF-598917CF72D3.png

Thanks @Salty Spuds - the battery is buried under my swivel passenger seat so I’ll need to take that out & have a look, would be great if it was that easy!
Thanks also @Dellmassive - the victron does look a great piece of kit but if I can avoid having to spend money on something that might be easy to fix then that’s the way for me.
I’ll let you know if I find a BMS switch on the LiFOS.

If the people at LiFOS bothered responding to customer queries then that would be easier than taking my VW to bits! Can’t see anything apart from the terminals on the exterior of the battery. Loathe to start dismantling things as I have the CTEK, wall charger and heaps of wires under the seat. Really appreciate the feedback from you guys though.

LifeOS have this mentioned.

Technical Information - LiFOS

Annotation 2019-12-02 101334.jpg

but I've emailed this to them :

Hi guys
We have a lifeos 68 battery.
the Bluetooth unit seems to have locked up?
we have tried the APP on various android and iphone devices all with the same result.
please can you advise on how to reset/reboot the Bluetooth module.
many thanks

but the listed email address . . .

Your message to hello@lifos.co.uk couldn't be delivered. -- hello@ wasn't found at hello@lifos.co.uk.

BUT . . . . . I've just called the tech number 01684774000 and had a great techie chat with Kevin from LifeOS.

Hes given us some great feedback and thing to try.

First off is the look for the Bluetooth light on the top of the battery (under the plastic sticker on the top, it will be very dim in the daylight so do it in the dark) - the light should be on/flashing if the bluetooth is alive.

second is confirm the battery voltage is in range with a separate volt meter . . . .

third is to try the APP on android and IOS devices and numerous ones to discount an issue with any device and 100% prove it battery related.

fourth is too try this reset procedure "TOTALLY FLATTEN THE LIFEOS BATTERY" ie run a load from it until its flat as flat can be, this will help to reset the internal BMS and module.... Newt is "FULLY CHARGE" the battery using a smart charger via EHU until 100% full . . . . then retest the APP.

On this occasion I've found the LIFOS team very approachable, helpful and very willing to help. Kevin did say that he had received the (my) tech help request via the website i had sent and that i was 330 or so in the list that he was working though from tech support requests over the weekend.

Kevin has asked for a feedback report on the above issue . . . . so
@Ian28 please can you follow the instruction above and report back here:

detail full issues you are having:
what devices you have tried the APP on:
what is the status of the bluetooth LED:
current voltage of battery:
then full drain battery:
then fully recharge battery:

Thanks @Dellmassive - funnily enough I got a missed call from LiFOS shortly after your post this morning..... it seems you’ve had much better luck/influence than myself.

I emailed all the details to LiFOS last week - the App worked intermittently then stopped completely last weekend. I’ve tried it on two different iPhone 7s and an iPad Pro. The Bluetooth LED has always been on & flashing. I can’t check the battery voltage as it’s buried under the passenger seat & would require major surgery/time to access. However, the voltage according to the Sargent unit reads as nearly full. SOC was 90% when it stopped working though I can’t remember the voltage reading.

I know of at least one other individual who followed the drain battery until flat then recharge advice - it made no difference. I’m not keen to drain it totally (isn’t this potentially detrimental to a lithium battery?) but will try EHU and charge it via the 240V socket in the van & wall charger that’s attached to the battery. Wouldn’t want to have to run my battery flat every time the App stops working! I’ll wait until Wednesday when it’s well above zero here. Will post my results here.

My experience may be a one off but it’s still my experience. 330 tech requests over a weekend seems rather a lot and would suggest to me they have problems with the product or not enough staff on the case.

Can’t fault your knowledge and efforts to help me - I’ve learned a lot from your posts since I got my van earlier this year, great forum with some very knowledgeable individuals. I think you should offer your services to LiFOS as a consultant...

Thanks for you feedback and kind words....

The 330 odd call backs apparently related to install advise and a myriad of other things, so not faults as such.

The "drain battery totally flat" is not something that is normally recommend, but on this occasion is essential to basically, reboot the BMS and bluetooth module...... so I would strongly recommend flowing the advice given by Lifeos to help resolve you're issue.

I would also suggest trying an Android device (non apple) as it seems that the Apple IOS and Apple devices are way more problematic due to Apples software restrictions and IOS update revisions.

Update - Kevin from LiFOS emailed me today to say they’ve been swamped with calls about their App not working and that the issue seems to be an Apple one. The App developer has been informed. Sounds like it’ll be a case of biding our time until they can get it resolved.

Has anyone got a definitive answer for this? My Lifos app has suddenly gone on the blink and isnt finding the battery at all. Worked perfectly for 16months. tried various devices etc but not luck.

Have you tried the above?

Drain on battery totally flat. Thethen recharge and test.

Mine eventually started working after my battery drained completely flat (unintentional) and then was recharged so I concur with that advice. Not a great solution but it did work.

Back