Lesuire Battery

Paul7807

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Evening all I know its another battery thread but I have done so much reading and just want to check before I go ahead with the wiring. I've attached a picture of what I'm going to do.

1. Dont know if I should put an isolated switch in or not??
2. Are the negatives OK to go back to the fuse box in the passenger seat from the B pillars each side or are they too long?
3. Can I add an led light strip to the same loom as the leds in the roof?
4. Was thinking of putting a switch in line before the TV so would I have to put a fuse in there?

Sorry for all the questions and long thread but thanks in advance

wiringdia.jpg

What’s the distance from the leisure battery to the fuse box? You potentially need to protect against a short on this wiring by adding a fuse next to the leisure battery.

You don’t need an additional fuse if you add a switch before the TV.

Negatives back to the fuse box - depends on the wire gauge and the current that’s going through it . You need to look at the voltage drop you will be getting.
Ohm’s law - voltage drop = current x resistance. If you run the same gauge wire back to the fuse box you double the resistance and hence the voltage drop compared to grounding it locally

What’s the distance from the leisure battery to the fuse box? You potentially need to protect against a short on this wiring by adding a fuse next to the leisure battery.

You don’t need an additional fuse if you add a switch before the TV.

Negatives back to the fuse box - depends on the wire gauge and the current that’s going through it . You need to look at the voltage drop you will be getting.
Ohm’s law - voltage drop = current x resistance. If you run the same gauge wire back to the fuse box you double the resistance and hence the voltage drop compared to grounding it locally
thanks for the reply

the fuse box will also be under the passenger seat with the battery so about 30cms max.

the cable is 1.5mm and is used for usbs in each b pillar and for the lights in the halo.
not sure where else i can earth it??
For the rear usb run i was going to use 2.5mm as it was longer.

do i need the isolating switch??

and is 6 leds and an led lights strip for the halo to much on 1 run??

Thanks again

Sorry to bump this thread but still unsure of a few things and I would really like to start this as I need to finish the van by next wkend.
Thanks

Looks very much like my setup. I chose to send all the negative cables to the same earth point, from the (Renege DCC50) - CTEK, Battery, Fusebox.

If I recall right, Dellmassive suggested I add a large fuse at the point the live comes off the vehicle battery. How are you getting the live from the vehicle batt to the leisure batt? I took out the plate behind the vehicle battery, unscrew the bolt in the vent (LHS above the vet batt, in through the vent) and on the wing next to the bonnet hinge. Then in the plate I drilled a hole and pushed in a large diameter plastic grommet to stop the metal edge cutting into the live cable's insulation, see image below. I then pushed the live through a hole and rubber seal, which brings the live out under the glove compartment and down the passenger side from wheel arch. I'll see if I can get a couple of pictures.
Coming from top to bottom in this image.
Here you see the rubber water guard at the back of the engine bay. Then the plate with two grommets in (white is EHU and red is meh batt live), then the cloth looking material is the battery cover/insulation.

IMG_20221120_122702.jpg

Last edited:
Hi thanks for the reply.
I have a permanent live under the passenger seat so was going to use that
But will later on be putting a EHU cable in and another permanent live for a sub. Through that route.

I saw it when I was watching a Aussie DIY convertor on Youtube fitting the cabling. Others have suggested using the rubber grommet hole on the left of the batter, over the small wall in the main engine bay, low down on the fire wall near where the AC & files lines etc go. But this was simple and apart from having to drill and file a large hole for the plastic grommet it left a neat job, and the live comes out next to the passenger seat.
I wanted a large thick live from my vehicle battery to the leisure battery, but now I have added a Bluetooth battery monitor, and the Renegy app, I see the typical current supplying the leisure battery when I drive is in the low single digits, though I don't use the leisure battery for anything huge, just lights and USB, and very occasionally a small travel fridge. I could have used the live also, under my seat which negates the need for the fuse on the battery end, as it comes from the fuse box under the vehicle battery.

Back