Less than 8500 miles, not a year old & Brakes corroded???

Usually it's a ruse to sell you new discs, they are only steel so will rust. My caravelle discs are covered in rust as it hasn't been used in 72 hours

I just saw mine were rusty on the rear and the pads weren't rubbing the discs correctly, VW said it needed new disks and pads even though there's lots of pad left and it's done 25 k , They can''t look at it for 6 weeks! So I drove down the bypass with the handbrake on a few notches for a few miles, got home and checked , discs all nice and shiny :)

Just been for the 2 year service and no issue with Discs and pads, just need a new Pollen filter.

I must be missing something here.....I don't know what the problem is? Gently apply your handbrake.....problem solved! Been doing it for years.

I must be missing something here.....I don't know what the problem is? Gently apply your handbrake.....problem solved! Been doing it for years.
Agreed I don't think it's a major issue but this is on a car and I just found interesting had corroded brakes too, wasn't flagged as any real concern on stealers report. Applying electric handbrake could be an issue :)

I've done 25 k in 12 months and the pads have a lot of material left on them. The rear discs are quite scored I'm assuming due to stuff being thrown at them from the front of the vehicle and that acting as a sort of grinding paste, as a result the disc doesn't get "swept" completely and rust areas develop during normal braking ( having said that my I can practically see my face in my tourneo custom's rear disks which has a approximately the same mileage and similar use), I'd like to remove the calipers on the VW to see if they are moving freely

Agreed I don't think it's a major issue but this is on a car and I just found interesting had corroded brakes too, wasn't flagged as any real concern on stealers report. Applying electric handbrake could be an issue :)
agreed @Phantom re electric handbrake.....who thought of those?! You could probably get around that by applying some heavy braking from time to time....not ideal though.:thumbsup:

I'm not convinced the calipers are free and sliding on their pins. It'll cost me £400 for VW to check. I might whip the wheel off myself

i have just come across this thread. I have just this morning collected mine (T32 204) back from the dealer, mine has 3k on the clock, I've had it almost 3 weeks but the disc noise is very irritating, the dealer advised the same corrosion story to me as others have to theirs. I don't accept that for a minute, I've had many vehicles over the years and never had an issue with on going scuffing etc, even when left for weeks, it wears off after 15 minutes or so. i have also noticed that when turning, the noise becomes more prominent. This is the only let down for me on the T6 so far. I do love a challenge so I'll start my battle with VW to have these looked at.

I can't comment on the rust ussue, but the scuffing may be due to the caliper piston seals they use. Unless the technology has changed since I looked into this last, the square section seals deform when the brakes are applied and the piston is pressed forward. When the pedal is released then the seals try to return to their original shape thus pulling the piston back slightly from the disk. If this is not happening then they will tend to rub.

In the old days, it was unheard of to have to change the brake discs on a car. But in the old days, brake pads contained asbestos. On modern brakes, the discs appear to be almost as sacrificial as the pads - and they also rust.
Normally the rust is wiped away by the first decent application of the brakes, but if it gets a hold it tends to wear a reciprocal groove in the pads. As a result the pads will never apply enough force to clean that particular part of the disc, meaning the problem gets worse. Being a careful "old school" driver who uses good anticipation and engine braking to adjust ones speed will exacerbate any such brake issues.
I've had similar issues with the brakes on my families cars (Toyota Verso & 2x Aygos) where the discs have become too grooved and have had to be changed before the pads have even worn out! I am now recommending to wife & kids that they always give the brakes a regular good work out.
Of course my issue might be the aftermarket discs that I have fitted, so if anyone can name a make that is less rust prone, then I am all ears. Currently our cars all have Bosch discs and pads fitted.

spoke with the local vw dealer, they have said that the edge of the discs have a bit of a lip on, they said they would normally chamfer the pad edge when fitting, this eliminates the scuffing noise. i'm going to get them to do it, least that way i can eliminate this if it's still the same.

Back