Less than 8500 miles, not a year old & Brakes corroded???

Nickynok

Hi, wonder if you might all have some advice? My hubby has aTransporter kombi t32 short wheel base high line 204 bhp, and was getting a strange rubbing noise coming from the rear breaks....had the vehicle booked in to be looked at at the closest Main Service centre, however, in the meantime the battery went totally flat so it got towed in there by the VWAssist earlier as theres an issue with faulty batteries apparently and they are on back order.

They have come back to hubby saying that theres nothing wrong with the brakes, they are corroded, but its not a problem, and they dont need changing under warranty! However, if he wants to have them changed regardless its a charge of £380!!!

Now, Im really not happy with this. This vehicle has regular daily use, albeit not a huge amount of miles, but it has daily use, we live in a village, nowhere near the sea, how can it possibly be ok to have corrosion on brakes/discs, when its done so few miles & is less than a year old? They have told him his van is available for collection, but he has told them he is really not happy with it...what do you guys think????? Help????

I'm assuming this is corroded discs?
I'm also assuming the the corrosion is on the inner face of the discs?
I've seen this problem on low mileage cars - this is quite common on a (newer model) Porsche. But 8.5k in a year isn't exactly low. Was the van left for a long period before this problem was noticed?

I'm assuming this is corroded discs?
I'm also assuming the the corrosion is on the inner face of the discs?
I've seen this problem on low mileage cars - this is quite common on a (newer model) Porsche. But 8.5k in a year isn't exactly low. Was the van left for a long period before this problem was noticed?

Well I'm assuming the same as you actually, as they haven't been very specific! Hubby uses it for work, but as he's on a big job in london is pretty much going to and from the station every day, as well as any other running around he does. We will also use it instead of the car when both are available. Without fail, apart from if we go on holiday out of the country, it will be used every single day without fail & has been! Nope, hadn't been left at all...just one minute wasn't making any noise, then the next time he drove it, it was!

Brake discs are 'ferrous' i.e. they rust when left in contact with water (or water vapour) and even more so when there is salt involved. After any application of the brakes the surface is polished leaving a nice clean surface for rust (corrosion) to set in which it will do instantly. Thus you will always have some corrosion building up on both sides of the discs. The degree will depend on the actual usage of the vehicle, hours left standing, acidity of the water it splashes through etc. Rural usage will encounter all kinds of waste splashing onto the discs (and underside of the vehicle) animal urine being a prime culprit!

If your hubby arrives at a destination with the brakes cold being a gentle driver or having been in a lot of slow traffic the cold discs don't dry quickly leaving the dampness doing its worst.

Sometimes brake disc noise that begins instantly is a small stone or similar lodging against the disc, usually this disappears within a few yards of movement but if it doesn't try reversing the van to dislodge it.

Rod

Brake discs are 'ferrous' i.e. they rust when left in contact with water (or water vapour) and even more so when there is salt involved. After any application of the brakes the surface is polished leaving a nice clean surface for rust (corrosion) to set in which it will do instantly. Thus you will always have some corrosion building up on both sides of the discs. The degree will depend on the actual usage of the vehicle, hours left standing, acidity of the water it splashes through etc. Rural usage will encounter all kinds of waste splashing onto the discs (and underside of the vehicle) animal urine being a prime culprit!

If your hubby arrives at a destination with the brakes cold being a gentle driver or having been in a lot of slow traffic the cold discs don't dry quickly leaving the dampness doing its worst.

Sometimes brake disc noise that begins instantly is a small stone or similar lodging against the disc, usually this disappears within a few yards of movement but if it doesn't try reversing the van to dislodge it.

Rod
Thanks for your response Rod....Lol, Hubby is definitely NOT a gentle driver, especially where braking is concerned! lol! He's actually quite heavy on the brakes I think...I have tried (Before it went in to be looked at) driving slowly with my foot gently on the brake as I thought they may have been seized..this didn't seem to correct it. I would have thought that if there was a stone lodged, that would have fallen out when they took the wheels off to check? It took us a while to get the van booked in to be checked, so its definitely been reversed more than several times since the noise was first noticed, so if it was going to fall out whilst reversing, I would have expected that to have happened by now, unfortunately! :/

This is not uncommon on the rears and I know of several people that suffer with it myself included, generally it happens when reversing.
I had intended to sort mine but it stopped doing it after a few weeks and has been fine for a couple months now so I’m not too worried
My mileage is a lot higher (30k) so had wondered if it was worn pads catching the lip on the disc but apparently not according to the dealer who said the same to me as your dealer

Thanks for your response Rod....Lol, Hubby is definitely NOT a gentle driver, especially where braking is concerned! lol! He's actually quite heavy on the brakes I think...I have tried (Before it went in to be looked at) driving slowly with my foot gently on the brake as I thought they may have been seized..this didn't seem to correct it. I would have thought that if there was a stone lodged, that would have fallen out when they took the wheels off to check? It took us a while to get the van booked in to be checked, so its definitely been reversed more than several times since the noise was first noticed, so if it was going to fall out whilst reversing, I would have expected that to have happened by now, unfortunately! :/
My brakes are the same. Same truck but with 3k on the clock. Been to the dealer and they said all fine. They took me out in their trucks and they did it too.
They stop really well so not worried, they just don’t sound nice...but just bear all your comments in mind when it comes to needing new brakes. I’m going to go for aftermarket brakes once these original ones are worn.

I have the exact same problem with my rear brakes. Sounds as if the pads are worn down. Took it to the dealer for its 20k service and they told me it was caused by the grit on the road lodging between the pads and the disks. The loan van they gave me had 6k miles and it did exactly the same noise.
I run a fleet of Renault and Ford vans plus my wife’s BMW and none of these vehicles have this problem. This is definitely a design or product fault but as usual, VW won’t admit it.
I love my Van but I have never experienced such shoddy customer service as I get with VW.
I will never buy from them again.

PS
I use my van every day and it’s less than a year old so they couldn’t use the “it’s corrosion” blag on mine.

Hi nicky.....I'm assuming the rubbing noise goes away once you've applied the brakes? I had a BMW that did exactly the same.....and sometimes they would seize on when I washed it then parked it over night.....but it was never a problem to me......a boot full of revs and they released. My van does the same.....but I drive like a vicar (most of the time) cos here in North Yorks, the rozzers love their camera vans......so the rears don't get used much at all. Once a week or so, I gently apply the handbrake as I go down a long hill near me. It cleans them off.....but I do it whether they need it or not. In the owners manual of my first BMW (e36), it actually advised that the handbrake be applied (with all the usual disclaimers of course!) from time to time. I have wondered if this technique may damage the hill brake assist......I doubt it but you never know? Anyway, long story short, I don't understand why it would be viewed as being a problem IF the noise goes away once you've applied the brakes. Brake friction materials have changed and they are more fickle for sure.....but it is what it is. I'm more than happy to be corrected because there are many more knowledgeable people on here than me.
MD:thumbsup:
Ps before anyone says anything, I'm not advocating handbrake turns!

My rear brakes are that loud my father in law asked if they needed replacing. They sound so bad.

According to Jeremy Clarkson, handbrake turns excite the ladies!;)
ha ha.....he does, you're right! I tried it once with my wife (the handbrake turn!!) and she gave me a right bollocking. She said "don't ever do that again while I'm driving"......honestly, she's no sense of humour!:D

ha ha.....he does, you're right! I tried it once with my wife (the handbrake turn!!) and she gave me a right bollocking. She said "don't ever do that again while I'm driving"......honestly, she's no sense of humour!:D

:rofl::rofl:
Please tell me that's all your own work

Hi nicky.....I'm assuming the rubbing noise goes away once you've applied the brakes? I had a BMW that did exactly the same.....and sometimes they would seize on when I washed it then parked it over night.....but it was never a problem to me......a boot full of revs and they released. My van does the same.....but I drive like a vicar (most of the time) cos here in North Yorks, the rozzers love their camera vans......so the rears don't get used much at all. Once a week or so, I gently apply the handbrake as I go down a long hill near me. It cleans them off.....but I do it whether they need it or not. In the owners manual of my first BMW (e36), it actually advised that the handbrake be applied (with all the usual disclaimers of course!) from time to time. I have wondered if this technique may damage the hill brake assist......I doubt it but you never know? Anyway, long story short, I don't understand why it would be viewed as being a problem IF the noise goes away once you've applied the brakes. Brake friction materials have changed and they are more fickle for sure.....but it is what it is. I'm more than happy to be corrected because there are many more knowledgeable people on here than me.
MD:thumbsup:
Ps before anyone says anything, I'm not advocating handbrake turns!
Lol, haven’t been trying any handbrake turns, & I’d def give hubby an earnashing too if he did whilst I was with him!!!
Nope...the noise is continually there even whilst braking & after braking! It drives him more mad than it does me...my answer to it now, seeing as they have no intention to resolve it, is to turn the volume up on the radio higher! That at least works as it should!!!

Lol, haven’t been trying any handbrake turns, & I’d def give hubby an earnashing too if he did whilst I was with him!!!
Nope...the noise is continually there even whilst braking & after braking! It drives him more mad than it does me...my answer to it now, seeing as they have no intention to resolve it, is to turn the volume up on the radio higher! That at least works as it should!!!
I would try driving slowly and with the handbrake just biting for a few hundred yards. That should clean the disks and get rid of the scraping noise.

It would be useful to see pictures of the disks, showing the rust.

Pete

Back