Leisure battery install - what do I need to order

timthetinyhorse

VIP Member
T6 Guru
I’m getting lost on the internet and reading this forum to begging to order what I need to do a leisure battery install.
I’m confident doing the work and can read drawings etc just need to understand what components I need to order. Van is just a partial conversion/day van so likely just a small battery and a couple sockets to run a laptop if working from the van and lighting mainly.
Anything you can tell me/write me a shopping list appreciated!
So many kits on eBay etc it’s hard to know wheee to start.
Thanks

Have a quick look over here....

Van is just a partial conversion/day van so likely just a small battery and a couple sockets to run a laptop if working from the van and lighting mainly.
My advice here, assuming you mean 240v sockets, is go with 12v adaptors for your laptop if you can - or USB if it's a modern USB PD charger.

Adding inverters complicates things and if you only need to charge a laptop check you really need one.

So far, despite talking a lot about leisure electrics, the needs in my own van are met by a small Beaudens power pack to add offline USB and mains, that might work for you. Only downside of a power pack route is you normally need to "arm" them when you need them, whereas a true leisure battery install is always on and ready.

My advice here, assuming you mean 240v sockets, is go with 12v adaptors for your laptop if you can - or USB if it's a modern USB PD charger.

Adding inverters complicates things and if you only need to charge a laptop check you really need one.

So far, despite talking a lot about leisure electrics, the needs in my own van are met by a small Beaudens power pack to add offline USB and mains, that might work for you. Only downside of a power pack route is you normally need to "arm" them when you need them, whereas a true leisure battery install is always on and ready.
Thanks for that. I think as you say above charging laptop should be doable from a 12v feed (macbook)
I wasmore leaning towards the leisure battery for lighting etc and seems a nice neat way to do it rather than lugging a powerstation about along with all the extras needed for a surf trip.

Just done this myself and seemingly made a mistake or two which I now need to fix but it is working….

Starting with the list of parts…

1. Leisure battery - I went with a Fogstar Drift 105ah and i located it on its side under driver seat
  2. DC-DC charger - I got a Renogy DCC50S and also fitted under driver seat
  3. Bluetooth module for the Renogy
  4. I bought a couple of packs these to connect Renogy to ground, battery to ground and Renogy to battery https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09Y5J4KWF
  5. Have now bought one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183666167447?var=691155181758 from van battery to renogy as the main input.
  6. with one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0B56B99NX/ and one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0BGK8HZB1/ as close to the van battery as possible using a red one of number 4.
That gets you up and running with the van charging the leisure battery and being able to monitor both the battery and the Renogy via Bluetooth apps on your phone.

IMG_1925.jpeg

IMG_1926.jpeg

IMG_1927.png

IMG_1928.png

Last edited:
Then for the leisure/house electrics you can go a few different ways - you could use a thick cable from the leisure positive, with another midi fuse as close to the positive as possible, then into a fuse box like this, to then split out into smaller fused connections e.g. for lights, usb sockets etc.

Or you could connect each fused circuit to a bus bar like this or directly to the battery terminals with smaller sized cables.

Really does depend on your requirements and the power draw each cicruit will have.

Then for the leisure/house electrics you can go a few different ways - you could use a thick cable from the leisure positive, with another midi fuse as close to the positive as possible, then into a fuse box like this, to then split out into smaller fused connections e.g. for lights, usb sockets etc.

Or you could connect each fused circuit to a bus bar like this or directly to the battery terminals with smaller sized cables.

Really does depend on your requirements and the power draw each cicruit will have.
Amazing thanks for that, have ordered this B2B kit Victron Orion including a 6 way fuse board so should be ready to rock, will take a look at your link for ideas, just need to select a battery now.

Hi all.
I’m nearly done with the exterior and then I’ll be moving on to the interior.

Quick question.

My van is a day van. I’ll be upgrading the sound system. New head unit speakers rear speakers sub and amp. More than likely put a Halo roof in with some LED spots and the halo leds. Also want to put in some USB B and C sockets for rear passengers.

Is all this ok to run off the standard van battery or do I need a leisure battery install to power it alll from?

TIA.

Hi all.
I’m nearly done with the exterior and then I’ll be moving on to the interior.

Quick question.

My van is a day van. I’ll be upgrading the sound system. New head unit speakers rear speakers sub and amp. More than likely put a Halo roof in with some LED spots and the halo leds. Also want to put in some USB B and C sockets for rear passengers.

Is all this ok to run off the standard van battery or do I need a leisure battery install to power it alll from?

TIA.
Your going to need a leisure setup in my opinion

How long will you and your passengers be using the sound system, lights and power points when parked up - a few hours or overnight ?

Any more than a few hours and I would install a leisure battery.

Pete

How long will you and your passengers be using the sound system, lights and power points when parked up - a few hours or overnight ?

Any more than a few hours and I would install a leisure battery.

Pete
It would only be a few hours at most. Normally just when nipping into shops etc so not a long time at all really.

Back