Leisure Battery Info - 95Ah Branded vs 120Ah Non-Branded

Starfox

Hi - Sorry another question on Leisure battaries. I have just purchased a new Yuasa AGM 95Ah leisure battery (From Halfords for easy collection!) for £165. I wanted a well-known brand. It is replacing a non-branded 135AH 'Deep Cycle' one which is done (It is rated as 135Ah C100 if that matters)

I am having last-minute reservations given the one it is replacing was 135AH and was considering something like the below as it is around the same price but 120Ah but I cannot see much detail about it (Marine MCA is less actually than the Yuasa one). However it is obviously a non branded battery so I don't know if this matters as much as the higher Ah rating?

Additional info - new solar panel being fitted (200W replacing damaged one with a new Victron MPPT) and next on the list would be DC DC upgrade to support the higher AGM charging given I have a Euro 6 engine. Battery stored under the seat so need the 190mm height. Just running basic stuff out of a T6.1. Thanks!

Last edited:
Customer support was important for me so I went branded. I wanted to know what the safest charge current was for my Exide EP800 (by chance the second example @T6Jay shows above) so I emailed Exide and got a thorough reply. This meant I could set my DC-DC charger at a known safe charge level.

Customer support was important for me so I went branded. I wanted to know what the safest charge current was for my Exide EP800 (by chance the second example @T6Jay shows above) so I emailed Exide and got a thorough reply. This meant I could set my DC-DC charger at a known safe charge level.
As it happens, that's the battery I have too. What was the safe charge level?

As it happens, that's the battery I have too. What was the safe charge level?
Hi

Here was my question:

Good morning. Sorry for the caps! I have a technical Question please. I have
the Ep800 dual agm battery, and Am trying to find out what the maximum charge
acceptance is in amps. I’m charging it through a renogy DC-DC charger
(Dcc50s) which has the potential to present 50A to the battery under certain
cIrcumstances unless I change the default settings. Many thanks. Chris

…and here was the answer…

Thank you for your enquiry, please find details below;

Bulk Charging (Constant Current)12 volt Battery
Charge at a constant current rate of no more than 10 times I20 to a voltage of 14.4V (example; For C20=100Ahr, the max charge current is 10x5A or 50A).

Absorption Charging (Constant Voltage)12 volt Battery
Charge with 14.4V limit for 12 to 24 hrs or when current drops below 1% of the C20 rating (example; C20=100Ahr, the low current shut off is 1%x 100 or 1A).

Float Charging (Constant Voltage)12 volt Battery
13,7V with current limited to 4 times I20.

Trickle Charging (charge maintenance during extended storage)
Charge voltage on point - 12.50vCharge voltage off point - 13.6v Limit current to 0.4 times I20

…so I set my dcc50s to output a max of 40A, rather than the default 50A.

Back