Legal Advice

mitchv60

Hi guys I wonder if any of your are up on the legalities of vehicle purchases.
At the end of November I ordered a sportline from Listers in Droitwich and it’s finally ready for me to collect but there’s been a massive snag.
I originally asked for a manual but was told they where now only Dsg and that’s what I was quoted for or so I thought.It turns out they quoted me for a manual as it was still on there system even though it was no longer available.
There now telling me it’s going to roughly be another 5K which is ridiculous. As far as I’m concern the emails I’ve received are a legal binding contract plus I’ve paid a deposit.
And to top it off I’ve had the day off today clearing out my current van and washing it expecting to drive the 5-6 hour round trip to collect the new one tomorrow.
So can anyone advise me how I stand legally, this all happened at 4pm today so I haven t had chance to speak to anyone about it.Thanks in advance.

Bit of an odd one that.
I'm not sure on the legality of the situation, but the issue might be they are not asking an extra £5k for the van they quoted for, but a different one with a DSG gearbox. Saying that, I wasn't aware the difference between Manual and DSG was £5k?? Sounds like they are adding any price increases between last year and now.
I'm very surprised Listers are not offering you a compromise. Seems a little unrealistic to expect a customer to foot a £5k bill for what looks like their error, and not yours.

I will be interested in hearing the outcome of this.

Hard to say. I asked for a comfort dash on my Beach but got the std one supplied but that was a factory fault. I was not going to wait another six months for a van. They should hav e told you it was not available if that was the case now it seems they are at fault and should be at least compensating you for the mistake.
I'm down there on Tuesday getting my wheels sorted out.

All I know is the price they gave me was for a dsg because they told me they couldn’t get a manual.
The 5K is over a 4 year lease.What is the difference between a manual & dsg,any idea?

What does your paperwork say? And what deposit have you paid? Normally you pay £500 to place the order then the remaining deposit on collection.

Yes it was £500.
The first paperwork says it’s a high line but I flagged it with him and he said he had ordered a sportline,

Whatever the order paperwork states is the van they should deliver.

Is it a factory build order or from stock.

DSG isn’t an extra £5k or at least it wasn’t on my Highline Kombi. From memory it’s around £2k. The DSG only thing sounds right as it’s the top of the range model.

I think the point is you signed a deal on the van quoted and paid the deposit to secure. Thats a binding contract. If they cannot meet that obligation they are in breach of the contract. If it were me I’d ask them to honour the order as quoted or offer another suitable vehicle as ordered. If they can’t/won’t then you’re well within your rights to walk away. They definitely won’t want it sitting around on their books.

Worst case they'll try to refuse you a refund of your £500. It’ll be up to you if you swallow it or pursue them for it.

Good luck, don’t be bullied!

If you have it in black and white the quote or order then they normally have to honour it ,also dsg is only about 2 grand extra .
That’s definitely out of order!!!!
years ago I left a deposit on a pre owned t4 from a vw main dealer the price in the window turned out to be incorrect but because I had put a deposit down they had to honour it.
Good luck buddy

All I know is the price they gave me was for a dsg because they told me they couldn’t get a manual.
The 5K is over a 4 year lease.What is the difference between a manual & dsg,any idea?
DSG is autiomatic no mater what people say. ithas a throttle and brake no clutch though you can go manual using the paddles on the steering wheel. Still an auto though

It’s alright saying buy from a different dealer but the sportline line is a 5-6 month wait and each dealer is only allocated about 2 so they are super hard to get hold of.
I’ve been wanting a s/line for my last 3 transporters I’ve had but just couldn’t stretch to it.Finally in a position to do it and now this.

Manual to DSG is a massive amount of work for them. You have the box, ECU, wiring looms, paddle box set, shifter set, dash parts......plus you have to who job twice..... remove all the old kit. Them refit all the new kit..

I'm surprised that are not asking for more TBH.... the labour alone will be K"s...

Most dealers wouldn't touch this job as a swap. And I'm not even sure VWCV corporate would agree to it warranty wise...

I feel your pain and have been here before.

Our MY11 PV build list was messed up due to a new ordering software. The van was delivered with loads missing. Satnav, mfsw, rear camera. Bi zenons etc etc..

They refused to retro fit. And I refused to pay any extra.... I said to them I wanted a new build and the van i ordered,or my £500 deposit back.

In the end after contacting VWCV UK and starting a case with them and dealing direct with the commercial manager..... they ended up saying "what will it take for you go take this van?"

So got prices for retro fitting all the missing kit from 3rd patys and took that to them....

in the end they agreed to reduce the van by 4k7 so I took it.... the over the next 2years had all the stuff retro fitted..

Not a DSG I know...... but if you hold firm and get VWCV involved to can get somewhere.... remember your the customer! you tell them what YOU want.

Funnily enough on my 3rd van now....which is a sportline. Took me 3vans to build up to it from 2008.

Manual to DSG is a massive amount of work for them. You have the box, ECU, wiring looms, paddle box set, shifter set, dash parts......plus you have to who job twice..... remove all the old kit. Them refit all the new kit..

I'm surprised that are not asking for more TBH.... the labour alone will be K"s...

Most dealers wouldn't touch this job as a swap. And I'm not even sure VWCV corporate would agree to it warranty wise...

I feel your pain and have been here before.

Our MY11 PV build list was messed up due to a new ordering software. The van was delivered with loads missing. Satnav, mfsw, rear camera. Bi zenons etc etc..

They refused to retro fit. And I refused to pay any extra.... I said to them I wanted a new build and the van i ordered,or my £500 deposit back.

In the end after contacting VWCV UK and starting a case with them and dealing direct with the commercial manager..... they ended up saying "what will it take for you go take this van?"

So got prices for retro fitting all the missing kit from 3rd patys and took that to them....

in the end they agreed to reduce the van by 4k7 so I took it.... the over the next 2years had all the stuff retro fitted..

Not a DSG I know...... but if you hold firm and get VWCV involved to can get somewhere.... remember your the customer! you tell them what YOU want.

Funnily enough on my 3rd van now....which is a sportline. Took me 3vans to build up to it from 2008.
I’m not sure why your saying about the work involved to swap gearboxes?
The Sportline is now only available in Dsg and that’s what we ordered.I originally wanted a manual but I was told it was no longer available so I said ok Dsg it is then.They ordered a Dsg and that’s s what’s arrived, there just saying they gave me the wrong price hence the extra 5K.

If your paperwork shows that was the deal then they’ve not got a leg to stand on. They know it but it doesn’t stop them trying their luck with you to see if you’ll swallow it.

Right sorry, by bad.

Same applies though. Stick with it.

Have you re-priced a new van to your spec with dsg?..... does it come out to the same as they are quoting you,?

What paperwork did they give you when you paid your £500 deposit?.... have you got proof of what build list you ordered?

I’m not sure why your saying about the work involved to swap gearboxes?
The Sportline is now only available in Dsg and that’s what we ordered.I originally wanted a manual but I was told it was no longer available so I said ok Dsg it is then.They ordered a Dsg and that’s s what’s arrived, there just saying they gave me the wrong price hence the extra 5K.
Don’t pay it. For a couple of hundred quid I’d visit a solicitor & get definitive advice. If you want I can PM you the name of a good solicitor in this field.

Sorry to hear about your woes @mitchv60, I had a similar experience with my last van except they were only (sic) asking an extra £1500. I had paperwork and had paid a £500 deposit. The dealer basically said take the van and pay the extra or we'll happily refund you. Such is the demand for these vehicles they new they'd sell it in a matter of days. I swallowed it and took the van, I did get monster mats bumper protector, 4 services and a tank of fuel thrown in but only after a lot of shouting down the phone.
I'll never use that particular dealer again though.

Good luck, I hope you get things sorted.

Ps wondering if you're the same mitchv60 of bikers oracle rsv fame? If so whats your weapon of choice these days?

Back