LED cabin interior lights

I have two different (brightness) festoon ones in stock at the moment that im going to compare over the weekend, can do a set next week if you want
Im thinking two nice and bright map lights and two brighter ones in the load area and a slighter lower one in the cab area central light as has map lights either side so dont want to make it crazy bright when all three are on in front but ok when map lights are used individually when driving ??
Hi mate,
Do you know of any aftermarket ambient lighting that would fit up by the interior lights? I was looking at a Passat lighting panel that has the two red Led lights in it.... it'd be far to easy if that slotted straight in....

I am planning to do something to mine at some point and if possible will look at developing it into a lot but not at the top of the list right now
I'm thinking ambient lighting overhead door pockets and possibly footwells but haven't even started looking into it yet

I did fit an ambient lighting unit into an Audi A3 a while back so thinking a similar module grafted into overhead console

hi guys , could someone please post a link to the best led interior light bulbs for overhead in the cabin please , ones that have been used and don’t through up any warning lights ? Cheers

Help!!!!!!

My interior lights have stopped working while I was faffing around trying to use the switched earth through a relay to switch a live when the doors are open. I’m not getting a constant 12v through the red and black and not getting a switched earth through brown and red. Any ideas???

The positive will time out after a while it's not a permanent feed it runs through a factory relay to stop you getting a flat battery if a light is left on, opening and closing a door will reset it
If not its fuse five in the lower dash fusebox counting up from bottom left normally a 7.5a fuse

I’ve tried that. It’s not because it’s timed out, I’ve started and stopped the van, open closed doors etc and nothing.
I’ve also checked fuse 5 and it’s ok. Just to be certain I looked at the rear lights, they’re working with the fuse in and not when I pull it.
Anymore ideas? I’m at a loss.
Thanks

Thanks travelvolts,

I’m at work now but I’ll try that first thing in the morning and let you know how I get on.

Out of interest, can you see a problem with my idea of using a 5 pin changeover relay to run a 12v supply that only goes live when the door is open? Ie switched -ve from interior light circuit into the relay to make the 12v go closed circuit. For some reason the van doesn’t seem to like it hence this problem!! It worked for the first operation but then stopped. I unplugged it and all returned to normal. I tried it again and it worked for the first operation and then stopped. I unplugged again and that’s when the interior lights didn’t return to normal and haven’t worked since!!

It could be that it doesn't like the resistance of the coil in the relay. I have a T6 in at the moment, I'll have a play if I get time.

Hi All, thanks to your expertise i replaced all interior bulbs to led. The only place i cannot get to are to lights in boot area, rear tialgate, there are two lights on both sides. Can't open them without applying much force. I don't want to break anything :(

Is there an answer to this?
I would like to replace my cabin bulbs with LED also.

Many Thanks @travelvolts as ever your support and knowledge is unsurpassed. A few quick questions;
Where is the redundant Couresty Light Loom or does this replace/connect to one of the two loading bay ceiling rocker light assys?
I’m assuming the additional LED lights this loom supplies would ultimately come off the Starter Battery or is there an option to have the courtesy lights (door switch) powered by the Starter Battery and the additional toggle switch powered by the Utility Battery?

I’m desperately fighting my Aircraft Avionic Engineering background desire to re-design the world when there’s a simple option (yours) available.

Yes, it connects into one of the load bay light connectors. I can make it with a pass through if you want to retain the OE light as well. The kit comes with an option to just have the lights running from the vehicle battery as normal or a simple rewire to the leisure battery which is done at the connectors behind the dash end plate on the passenger side. I have those demons too!

How did you get on with the changeover relay @Thehawks? I’m thinking about doing something similar to feed my cabin lights.
Hi @Planestoner, sorry about my slow reply. It looks like @travelvolts has sorted you out and his knowledge is far superior to mine.
I never did get that relay set up to work. I think the issue was the resistance it added to the circuit as suggested by @travelvolts. It’s difficult to fool if it doesn’t like something!!!

Back