Lease Company outright sale.

VioletVW

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi,

Has anyone purchased a new van outright from a lease company? Payed cash not leased the van.

Nationwide, Vanzone, New car discount etc.

I understand that I'd be the second owner on the V5 but there is about a 3k saving on a new van.

Just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience of the above.

Thanks

Keri

Generally they are not allowed (supposed) to do direct sales
The normal setup would be you rent/lease the van for 12 months minimum then complete purchase after that and V5 transfers into your name as second owner

There were some issues with this a couple years back when VW got wind of companies doing this and pulled loads of orders leaving people without vans for a few extra months so its not risk free so its up to you if the savings outway the risks ??

I looked into this and basically the lease companies hold the title for 12 months so not technically yours. I nearly bought a van that had been with the lease company for 12 months with 40 miles on it with a good discount. It was a T26 so once I’d done the weight sums it was too near the limit.

I was told similar, if VW find out they charge the lease company for the discount they gave them as it undercuts Vw dealers so I would be surprised if you could buy one this way

It's as you all say, van is registered to the lease company for 11 months then v5 is signed over to you so you can get road tax. I was told that I would be the owner, as I would have been invoiced and had paid the full amount, but the lease company are the registered keeper. The new V5's say being the registered keeper isn't proof of ownership.....??

Ideally I'd like to buy a demo van with some extras but there isn't a Fortana red one with dsg out there at the moment.

That's true V5 isn't proof, so if you have all the payment docs in order, prob best to look into the correct wording etc then you should be ok ?

I bought mine from a leasing company and ownership transferred to me immediately. New T30 LWB 204DSG with all the toys which was registered in Aug 19 and hadn't been used. Apparently they aren't allowed to sell until 6 months after registration, to avoid undercutting the main stealerships with the discounts they get. They SORN'd it for me and then delivered it to my chosen converters once lockdown lifted.

Sounds like an ideal scenario.

Can I ask if it was one of the lease companies mentioned above? There are mixed reviews for nationwide, excellent for NCD and nothing for Vanzone..

Sounds like an ideal scenario.

Can I ask if it was one of the lease companies mentioned above? There are mixed reviews for nationwide, excellent for NCD and nothing for Vanzone..
The sale agreement was with Great Oak Sales, part of Aptiga Ltd. They seem to do leasing, rental (through a Hertz franchise), and sales through Great Oak. They have a number of Transporters listed for sale on their site, although nowhere near as many as they did when I bought mine back at the end of March.

Cheers for that, I've not come across them. I'll take a gander.

As this is something I've not done before I'm gathering as much info as possible. All the reviews I've read can't all be bollocks...? Can they?

Many thanks for all the replies too.

As this is something I've not done before I'm gathering as much info as possible. All the reviews I've read can't all be bollocks...? Can they?

I have to say that Great Oak were brilliant - and not just b because I got a cracking deal. Very helpful and efficient. Don't know anything about the others though.

I bought my van from them back in Oct 2018, it was a straight forward purchase of one of their vans in stock. The van was just over a year old at the time with delivery miles.
Found the owner Alex to be very easy to deal with, no problems with purchase, would recommend them to others.

I have to say that Great Oak were brilliant - and not just b because I got a cracking deal. Very helpful and efficient. Don't know anything about the others though.
Mine was also supplied by great oak .I can also recommend them

I had my order cancelled a few weeks before delivery when doing this and ended up having to buy from a dealer with the added delay due to having to re-order luckily I managed to get the dealer offer within about £300 of what I was paying before, probably why they didn’t care about the defects in the paint when it arrived

Back