Kombi Lining and Insulation advice? (Swansea/Preston)

Howler

Sold
T6 Pro
Hi Guys,

First proper post so please take it easy on me :)

Want to insulate and carpet line my kombi, planning on using Silent Coat 2mm first, followed by the recycled bottle stuff and then the aluminium bubble wrap to seal it all up. Going to replace the original panels with 4mm ply and use the hidden clips from mega van mats and their mega stretch carpet.

Basically first time I've ever done anything like this, so after some advice/guidance.

Will one bulk pack of Silent Coat be enough? (SWB). How much carpet will I need to do panels and metalwork separate? (Do you carpet the panels using the left over that you cut out of the metalwork?) What's the most popular colour choice? Is the recycled bottle insulation the right stuff to use? Worried about moisture. Also can you tell if you put silent coat on the arches before carpeting them?

I work in Preston but the better half and family live in Swansea, is there any professional or members in these areas that don't mind sharing their knowledge with me and giving me some tips?

Thanks very much in advance and really sorry if I've repeated previous questions.

Last edited:
We (me & the mrs) Sound Deadened, Insulated & Carpeted my old Kombi from 6 months old & I ran it for 5 years with no issues. It was quiet & everything stayed in great shape despite throwing Motorbikes, Tools & Building Supplies in the rear!

We are just about to start doing my new Kombi so if you want any advice call in - We are in the Uplands area of Swansea.

We also have a stripped out Hightop T6 that we are currently converting into a camper - all the insulation etc is still on show.

Hi Guys,

Want to insulate and carpet line my kombi, planning on using Silent Coat 2mm first, followed by the recycled bottle stuff and then the aluminium bubble wrap to seal it all up. Going to replace the original panels with 4mm ply and use the hidden clips from mega van mats and their mega stretch carpet.

Basically first time I've ever done anything like this, so after some advice/guidance.

Will one bulk pack of Silent Coat be enough? (SWB). How much carpet will I need to do panels and metalwork separate? (Do you carpet the panels using the left over that you cut out of the metalwork?) What's the most popular colour choice? Is the recycled bottle insulation the right stuff to use? Worried about moisture. Also can you tell if you put silent coat on the arches before carpeting them?

I work in Preston but the better half and family live in Swansea, is there any professional or members in these areas that don't mind sharing their knowledge with me and giving me some tips?

Thanks very much in advance and really sorry if I've repeated previous questions.
If it helps, whatever you decide to use should be enough to use on a min of 10 metres square as this allows for some error as the back of a SWB is apparently 8m2.

Thanks very much for your replies.

Went and had a good chat with the guys at MVM yesterday, really helpful knowledgeable guys, came away with 10m of anthracite mega stretch, sound deadening and insulation.

Going to be busy easter bank holiday!

We (me & the mrs) Sound Deadened, Insulated & Carpeted my old Kombi from 6 months old & I ran it for 5 years with no issues. It was quiet & everything stayed in great shape despite throwing Motorbikes, Tools & Building Supplies in the rear!

We are just about to start doing my new Kombi so if you want any advice call in - We are in the Uplands area of Swansea.

We also have a stripped out Hightop T6 that we are currently converting into a camper - all the insulation etc is still on show.

Thanks very much @Leigh, I'm not done in Swansea for a few weeks now :( but I'll drop you a message when I know I'll be down next, thanks again!

@Diesel9a1 Think I'm going to use mostly the recycled bottle stuff from B&Q but I got a small roll (about 3 or 4m) of the "van insulation" from Mega Van Mats to compare before deciding for definite.

Apparently 8sqm is enough to do the walls and roof of a SWB, just from what I've been told.

I'm justrying confused with this insulation malarkey. Wool, non itching rock wool, celotex, plastic bottle stuff, kevlar.....

I'm justrying confused with this insulation malarkey. Wool, non itching rock wool, celotex, plastic bottle stuff, kevlar.....

Different materials, different costs, ultimately they perform the same basic function.

It comes down to personal preference, how much you want to spend and where you want to buy.

It's that simple.....probably

Has anybody any experience with using the hidden clips for the panels opposed too the vw ones ? And do you fit them to the panels before applying the carpet.
I'm going to do my panels tomorrow and have both sides at of clips to choose from.

Has anybody any experience with using the hidden clips for the panels opposed too the vw ones ? And do you fit them to the panels before applying the carpet.
I'm going to do my panels tomorrow and have both sides at of clips to choose from.
I used the hidden ones ,put them in the pannel first ,then carpet the pannel .

Hi Guys,

Give us a shout if you want any advise or you can have a look at my sound deadening to get some tips , only in preston myself .

Thanks @carlg , I guess they look neater too, just didn't know how strong the clips where.
Cheers @Chriswhit I've got all the sound deadening and insulation done now, just the panels to do now, im not doing the metal work as im not confident enough, and I cant be bothered to wait until July, the earliest anyone can do it .

Thanks @carlg , I guess they look neater too, just didn't know how strong the clips where.
Cheers @Chriswhit I've got all the sound deadening and insulation done now, just the panels to do now, im not doing the metal work as im not confident enough, and I cant be bothered to wait until July, the earliest anyone can do it .
The metal work is not as hard as it looks ,you can join the carpet ,and you won't see the joints .I had never done one before ,see photos .

IMAG2290.jpg IMAG2276.jpg

IMG_1803.JPG
Don't buy cheap clips from eBay

The metal work is not as hard as it looks ,you can join the carpet ,and you won't see the joints .I had never done one before ,see photos .

View attachment 6332 View attachment 6333
You've done a great job, I've covered all the panels now and attached before lunch :thumbsup: I cant say the hidden clips have done me any favours on the large side panels, a right nightmare popping off or not staying in the metal work !! so I need to rethink those or fit the vw ones :mad:

I've got the harrisons trims ones, not very happy as they arnt holding the side panels in.

Back