Kombi fold down bed

rolling_stone

T6 Pro
Hi. I'm hoping to swap my camper conversion for a Kombi to give me a bit more flexibility with bikes in the back etc. This bed is something that caught my eye, cause then when I'm away without the wife, I can just have it half down and have the bike in the van. I can't remember where I saw this photo now - did I see it on here? I'm assuming it's in a LWB?

Does anyone know where I could get something like the fitted? How much it would cost? And, if you have something similar, how do you like it?

Any other advice on the ultimate kombi set-up for mountain biking, day use, the odd two-week trip to France would be gratefully received! I feel like I'm going round in circles with 'must-haves' and 'negotiables'! o_O

1601383032855.png

Many thanks.

I'm also a keen MTB and just purchased a Van-King bed system off a forum member for my SWB Kombi. Keep it in the van all the time as it really improves the overall sound deadening. Whilst you can quickly remove the mattress / top and cross members (leaving sides in place) to open up the back of the van when you need to carry the bike(s). Just working on modifying so that I can have a narrower bed (i.e. shorter cross members) and fit the bike at the side.

AH yes, I've seen these, thanks - they look ace as bed... and I've heard others say they just leave the frame in situ to attach bike to... but as you say, cause they're full width, they leave no room for the bike without mods - is that going to be an easy job? Do they rely on resting on the folded seats? Could bike go sideways behind front seats if the rear seats were removed?

If you have a SWB then the mattress goes over the back of the seats, but for the LWB then think its behind the seat and fully supported by the frame. As I mentioned did make up a frame out of timber before that allowed full width or bike + bed (see below). Worked really well but took time to put in / out and storing when not in was a pain. On the pic of the Van King its the 3 cross members that dictate the width, so going to make some shorter ones out of timber 1st and then see about getting them made out of box section. This means that the left side won't be fixed to the floor, so will also look at some cross bars at the bottom and possible expand across full width so i can end up with the bike mount on it as well. As a bonus the side frame makes for a nice wheel holder

Let's see how I get on...

IMG_1305.jpgIMG_1393.jpgIMG_1411.jpg

Ask a local fabricator to make what you need to suit you, that’s what I did and it works well. Huge drawer for day to day work kit, and a bed that goes from single to double by sliding out as photos. Rough n ready but works for me.

837B468F-9648-4AF7-8088-7D293CB2C122.jpeg64FE4F62-4C69-4C56-82DB-1C7AB896CA49.jpeg

Looks like a great set-up! So that's a SWB? So you put something over the bed base that also overlaps the seats to give you the bed length?
@paul_law cheers, yes, SWB, the slats are the same height as the folded down seats and the mattress just sits across the top.

I've got the fortywinks bed, my bike slides underneath with the front removed, plenty of storage around the bike still and you can sleep on top no bother, best thing for me, when you look in you can't see the bike it's completely hidden.

Frame also folds up into like a big parcel shelf, I leave it in the van all the time.

Back