Kombi 103KW - Does not start first time within 30 minutes of switch off

TertiusGerber

95k km on clock, used on a daily basis, starts and cuts out immediately for up to ten tries within half hour of usage.
Starts first time and runs perfectly short and long distance any speed once left for 30 minutes or more.
Fault at sea level, in the mountains, any type diesel.
Whether in "Park" or "Neutral" brake pedal pushed hard or not, hand brake up or not, trailer connected or not.
Fault is repeatable. Sometimes it starts within two up to ten turns of the key.
Each time engine starts just for a second or two at maximum of idle then cuts out.
However never more than ten start tries.
Doing this since the 75k service.
Local VW guys have no idea what to do.
Includes all weather conditions - dry, wet, hot & cold
Engine Number: CAA996410
Chassis Number: WV2ZZZ7HZJH200635

Last edited:
Local VW agent says that fault codes are too wide to use. Includes crank shaft timing realignment at a significant cost. Doesn't make sense to me as the vehicle has performed perfectly up to 75k service.

I would get the codes and post them here. There are plenty of experts on here who may be able to advise, or have seen that combination of codes before, and know what the solution was.

Peter

I would get the codes and post them here. There are plenty of experts on here who may be able to advise, or have seen that combination of codes before, and know what the solution was.

Peter
Awesome advice - thank you. Will request local VW agent to share codes with me.

Had the same issue with my T5 2500tdi at the same 95k miles!
In my case was the the ignition switch cylinder… 15 quid repair and a good hour of my time.
Hopefully nothing serious on your van.

Back