Is Your T6 A Van Or A Camper?

Did you buy your Transporter to use as a van or a camper?

• My T6 is a van

Votes: 25 27.2%
  • My T6 is a camper

Votes: 67 72.8%

• Total voters

highwaycollective

T6 Pro
Being a Transporter owner for a short while it has been interesting to see how many people are using their vans for different things. Largely is seems that most people who own them are split into one of two groups. Either people have their transporters for use as 'vans" for transporting gear around, work use, transporting people/bikes/equipment, etc... or have a transporter as "campers" for holiday, camping, and travel etc....

I purchased mine as a van. It's my daily drive, and I love the utilitarian nature of the vehicle. When not working I use it for getting the family around, transporting my bikes (and the kids bikes) to various trail centers and BMX tracks etc, and generally use it like a pickup/car all rolled into one.

Which Transporter owner are you?

Both for me. It’s my daily drive. I use it for work. I carry my tools in it. I chuck my bike in. And I frequently camp in it

Mine has to be both. I need to be able to use it as a van, but also want to be able to get away in it from time to time.

Mine's due in two weeks and it's going to be my daily driver and a camping van for the weekends - just trying to suss out the best sleeping solution, so many great ideas on here it's hard to decide which is best

Mines a Panel Van converted to a camper, used at the weekends mainly, and also the odd trip to the recycling center as well because it a five seater:)

both.

used as a daily driver, but at the weekends I use it for moving my trials bike or towing the race car. I sleep in it too

Daily drive when it’s raining...if it’s sunny that’s that’s when I’m on my motorbike, but also a weekend camper

Bought as a converted panel for camping mainly used at weekends with some commuting.
Long term investment for future travels abroad on retirement.

Mine’s a converted panel van that lives in the garage during the week, then comes out to play at the weekends. It’s not a camper, but we use it for lugging camping gear and two young boys around wherever we fancy going at the weekends.

Mines a simple work van, but with carful configuration and some clever thinking, it's also a daily driver with 4 seats and still room for all my work equipment, including a large scaffold tower, platforms, and ladders all hidden away from the cabin.
This also meant I could get rid of an extra car, win win.

The versatility of a VW Transporter never fails to impress :thumbsup:

Camper only for mine, fully converted from day 1. She sits at the house till I need to go away at the weekend. Have a car as the daily drive.

An painful reminder --- A local couple bought a van (not a VW) and had it converted to a camper, a short while later it was written off in a fire. When the owners came to claim on their insurance the insurers refused to pay out the value of the vehicle as a camper because the V5C body type had not been changed from van to Motor Caravan. I am lead believe they only got the value as a bare van!

So be aware!

Both.....mobile office and the ability to take a mass of gardening waste to recycling. Took me ages to get the carpet free of bits, brambles etc!!!

At the moment mine is a panel van but I intend on converting it to a day van/camper very soon.

Work van, but currently researching how to economically fit a second row of quick release seats so I can take the family on camping trips.

Mines a simple work van, but with carful configuration and some clever thinking, it's also a daily driver with 4 seats and still room for all my work equipment, including a large scaffold tower, platforms, and ladders all hidden away from the cabin.
This also meant I could get rid of an extra car, win win.

The versatility of a VW Transporter never fails to impress :thumbsup:

Just interested in how you did this? I'm looking into doing something similar. Did you do the work yourself, or get it done at a garage?

I hope HMRC are not monitoring this thread.
I bought mine as a work van and never ever used it for anything other than work.

The poll should have had three options
Work, Camper or School Run Status Symbol

Given the cost now, Work use would be in the minority

I hope HMRC are not monitoring this thread.
I bought mine as a work van and never ever used it for anything other than work.

The poll should have had three options
Work, Camper or School Run Status Symbol

Given the cost now, Work use would be in the minority
Don’t think they would make the grade for that, round here the Mums would only view a glittery sh!tbox of an “SUV” with an Audi or Range Rover badge on it to have any status :rolleyes:

Back