Is the 150PS worth it??

adibell

Hello there, new member here!

I’m in a bit of a muddle, as I’ve found the T6 I want. I’m looking at a 66 plate 150PS Highline Kombi in Black, for £18,250+VAT. It has the base stereo and no towbar but other than that it’s pretty much the spec I was wanting.

However, it’s got 62k miles on the clock.

I’m really torn as it seems like a good deal for the 150PS, and I always thought I wanted the 6-speed box, but now I’m faced with the cost of it (it’s a stretch for me but do-able), I need to be sure if this is a worthwhile deal, and I’m not going to regret it.

Could anyone please suggest what they think/know to the 150PS version, and whether this seems like a good deal or not? I’m coming from an ‘04 T5 with 137k on the clock so it’s going to be a big improvement, but is 62k going to be a bit high for a van that price??

I’ve got the van on reserve, but I’m in a pickle whether to take it or leave it!

Thank you for any thoughts, I really appreciate it!

Adrian

If its been serviced then I wouldn't worry about the mileage, its only a year old and there can't be many other 150 highline kombi's around at that price?

Iv'e got the 150 but with DSG, I'm happy with the performance for a van

I have the 6 speed manual and find it quick enough for me though I will say there is not as much torque as I thought there would be. It tows my caravan fine but lacks grunt in places but other than that I love it

Go for it.
62k and only a year old it's likely to be better mechanically than a lower mileage but much older van - i.e. the mileage in the short timeframe suggests a high average journey length which is ideal.

The 150 engines have had a few 'minor' issues that seem to be largely resolved now, i found the couple of 150s i drove a lot punchier than my 140, its only 10 difference but its really noticeable, now the nox issues seem to resolved i would rather a euro6 150 over a euro5 140 even at the cost of adblue

The mileage is high for the age but thats not necessarily a deal breaker unless you are planning to do loads of miles yourself in a short time which could affect the decision ?

Hello all,

Thank you very much for the replies. I feel a lot more comfortable that others have agreed the mileage isn’t too much of an issue. I felt like the short timeframe it’s done those miles in makes it less of a risk, and if I’m wanting a newer, shinier and higher spec’d van, it’s a pretty good deal.

I think I’ll go for it! Cheers!

Hello all,

Thank you very much for the replies. I feel a lot more comfortable that others have agreed the mileage isn’t too much of an issue. I felt like the short timeframe it’s done those miles in makes it less of a risk, and if I’m wanting a newer, shinier and higher spec’d van, it’s a pretty good deal.

I think I’ll go for it! Cheers!

I look forward to seeing the photo's

If you live in an emissions zone or a city adopting the emissions charges then will be an important factor

After a remap its totally worth it until you discover the 29mpg average and engine check light from the adblue system every 2k and wish you had a 204 to start with.

Other than that it really is a good choice. I like mine.

I've got a 150 DSG T32 LWB. Now got 7k on the clock and getting an indicated 46mpg with it. Haven't yet done a brim to brim check to get a true reading though. Generally drive for economy and mechanical sympathy but its nice to have the power of a 150 on tap for overtakes. Like Paul said above, I have to drive into Edinburgh city centre frequently, so emissions and euro 6 spec was a key factor in hopefully safe guarding against future congestion / emission regulation.

Thanks for all the replies, I ended up going for the van but it was a bit of a bumpy ride...

I cycled 5 miles to the train station, took 2.5 hours to get to Bristol and then 9 miles to where the van was. Had a test drive and checked the van over, and was happy, then went inside to sign the docs.

I then noticed however on the documentation it said it was a 140PS van. The advert online definitely stated 150PS, which meant it had to be a EURO6 engine with adblue. Sure enough, we went outside, it says 140 on the back and there’s no sign of adblue under the filler flap.

I was obviously a bit miffed, but had no idea who to speak to about it. Ended up going to a cafe down the road and @Pauly kindly called me after a quick DM. At the end of the day, there’s not a great deal of difference between the two and I’m not likely to drive through any congestion charge areas, so decided to go for the van anyway.

I went back in on the offensive, but since putting the reserve bond on I’d kind of messed them round having troubles sorting out my loan and trying to drive them down on price (they’d agreed finally to drop to £18k+VAT), so the manager basically brushed his hands and said ‘look, I’ve had this van sitting here and had to turn down plenty of other calls, I can’t be bothered any more, you either want it or you dont.’

I realised I faced losing the van so said I’d go ahead with buying it, but wasn’t happy that they’d tried to sell me a van that wasn’t the one they’d advertised, so he said the best he could do was chuck £50 of fuel in, which I felt happy with.

Anyway, I’m chuffed with the van, it’s a lot quicker than my old 2004 104PS T5, and much more shiny new. Now need to save the pennies and start thinking how I’m going to convert it.

Here she is anyway...

BA5FD987-E19E-421A-8517-A1A72C144B4F.jpeg

4BE859E1-3CDE-4BE2-866E-FE6F1EE9D0BC.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
@DaveyB this wasn’t actually VW customer service, it was an indie van sales company. On a side note though, the VW salesperson I spoke to in Coventry said he’d get back to me by that Friday to see if he’d found any similar spec vans they had....two weeks later I’m still waiting to hear anything!

@VWROBERT its done 62k, but fully serviced and only a year old so it’s not too shabby for that’s price!

Our T6 high-low was at 63k when we bought it a few months back. We saw the mileage as being great for us as it let us get a shiny T6 rather than the sight older T5 vans that we were looking at.

We paid a little less, but ours was basic panel, do I reckon the price was probably at least in line with ours.

Welcome to the higher mileage t6 club :)

Back