Interior lights whilst driving

Lee

T6 Pro
Hi all,

Does anyone know if it ok to use the interior lights in the back whilst driving?

Got a long night trip ahead of us tomorrow, we have various lights in the back and wanted to check if it was ok to use one for reading.

Cheers

I think it'll be a case of whether it could be claimed to be a distraction to the driver. I reckon @Thogg could give you the definitive on this one as our friendly Roads Policing Officer.

Evening all...(sorry!!)
No offence... possibly bad practice.. more so back in the day of dome lights.. now they are recessed and even directional (think map reading lights)
Common misconception is the "white light to the rear" but con and use lighting regs state

(2) No vehicle shall be fitted with a lamp which is capable of showing any light to the rear, other than a red light, except–

(a)amber light from a direction indicator or side marker lamp;

(b)white light from a reversing lamp;

(c)white light from a work lamp;

(d)light to illuminate the interior of a vehicle;

(e)light from an illuminated rear registration plate;

(f)light for the purposes of illuminating a taxi meter;

(g) blah blah blah....

If it distracts you as driver then not a great idea. We use them whilst driving to jobs at night but always after asking the driver if they are ok with it....

Brilliant, thanks for the info, good to have a definitive answer, searched everywhere for one, good ole t6forum members...

Evening all...(sorry!!)
No offence... possibly bad practice.. more so back in the day of dome lights.. now they are recessed and even directional (think map reading lights)
Common misconception is the "white light to the rear" but con and use lighting regs state

(2) No vehicle shall be fitted with a lamp which is capable of showing any light to the rear, other than a red light, except–

(a)amber light from a direction indicator or side marker lamp;

(b)white light from a reversing lamp;

(c)white light from a work lamp;

(d)light to illuminate the interior of a vehicle;

(e)light from an illuminated rear registration plate;

(f)light for the purposes of illuminating a taxi meter;

(g) blah blah blah....

If it distracts you as driver then not a great idea. We use them whilst driving to jobs at night but always after asking the driver if they are ok with it....
Well played buddy - knew you'd be able to give the definitive.

I think the rules for light fitment, colours etc. apply only to externally fitted lights. I also think it is a requirement that coach drivers must have some interior lights illuminated when they have passengers on board so would assume it is no problem in any other vehicle carrying passengers.
Obviously the driver (or other drivers) distraction is very valid point.

Rod

We are use lights when driving at night. But only a mood lighting. It's enough to keep the nipper happy and no distraction to me up front.

I've found using the light directly behind the drivers seat (in the living area) gives enough illumination for the kids to read without any distraction. Any other light can be seen in my mirror so is a little distracting.

Every now and then whilst we are on a blue light run, I like to fire up my 5 billion candlepower led lenser head torch that I have attached to my tac vest... it keeps my crewmate on his toes..

Every now and then whilst we are on a blue light run, I like to fire up my 5 billion candlepower led lenser head torch that I have attached to my tac vest... it keeps my crewmate on his toes..
Come on @Thogg we all know that that is not an LED head torch - it's your halo!:rofl:

Back