Interior Light removal tips

Bryn23

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Any tips on removing the rear interior light fitting in the transporter?

I was trying this arvo, to remove them, and i felt i was about to break it, so i stopped before i did any damage.

Is there any tricks with these lights, i was trying to lever it from the outside, or do you have to take the clear lense out first and access it through inside the light.

Thanks in advance

Clips are on ends facing front and back of van, I find it best to push/slide/pressure the fitting in one direction ie forwards to release a bit of pressure on the rear clip and then pull the rear down to release it
It's not too bad to get it in and out but be advised if you are keeping your original ceiling panels after getting them in and out several times the clips can start to rub the edge of the hole and become visible outside the footprint of the light fitting

Thanks guys, thats really helpful, ill give that a go, i was focusing more on the slim ends, so thats why i would been having issues.

Pauly, I've got a midroof, so there aren't any roof panels in a midroof, just a bare ceiling.

they are in the plastic roof supports, ill be incorporating them in my roof once its finished.
IMG_1292.JPG

oh, i just assumed all transporters had this type of interior lights in them.

i should have put a photo up first to reduce any confusion.

Hi Bryn, just spent the afternoon trying to remove the same lamps, no luck afraid of breaking something, please post when you find a way.

Hi Bryn, just spent the afternoon trying to remove the same lamps, no luck afraid of breaking something, please post when you find a way.

Hey Jim,

I haven't gotten them out yet, but i did find some photos on the net with the same light and where the clips are.

IMG_7278.jpg IMG_7276.jpg

i haven't worked out if the lens has to come out first and then the access the clips through the opening, but i haven't been able to get the lense off yet as i think the might be the way.

I'm heading out to the workshop today, so i might try with a smaller flat head screw driver and see how i go, as the trim tools i have aren't strong enough to remove it.

Looks like I've a blown bulb in one of my rear map/reading lights. Any advice on getting into these would be gratefully received too.

20171117_160309.jpg

Hey Jim,

I haven't gotten them out yet, but i did find some photos on the net with the same light and where the clips are.

View attachment 15536 View attachment 15537

i haven't worked out if the lens has to come out first and then the access the clips through the opening, but i haven't been able to get the lense off yet as i think the might be the way.

I'm heading out to the workshop today, so i might try with a smaller flat head screw driver and see how i go, as the trim tools i have aren't strong enough to remove it.

Sorry Jim, i didn't get out to the workshop over the weekend to have another try

my plans for the weekend and my wife plans were different, so we did what she wanted :laugh:

I removed the lights today, i had to use 2 flat head screw drivers, to prise it out, one long side at a time.

plastic trim levers didn't have the strength, or maybe mine are just crap.

The wiring loom is so short on mine, i was hoping to move it a little, i'll have to extend it and try and find some interior VW light connectors.

Back