Insurance Company recommendations

Northern Monkey

VIP Member
T6 Legend
As I will be picking the van up next month I was wondering which insurance companies everyone is with?
I will be having a few extra bits added by the dealer so obviously these will need to be declared as modifications, so have you have had any good or bad experiences when it come to this cheers.

Im tryign the same, and every quote is asking for use as a business, and dont seem to know what to do when I tell them it is not for a business. Pointers welcome from anyone.

If this helps...... I've copied this info I posted on the old site when I was phoning round to insure my van.

My 5 day complimentary cover ran out today so I've done some ringing around. Thought I'd put the results up here in case it helps anyone out.

140 SWB DSG Highline for SD&P with occasional commute. 6k annual mileage for me and wife. 41 years old. Kept on driveway at night. Cover for full camper conversion incl alloys and lowered suspension! Approx value £55k. Insured as panel van until conversion takes place. 12 yrs NCB 'mirrored' from my daily driver.

A plan 01635 879905. Recommended by my dealer and very active on T4/T5 forum. £430 but would need to fit tracker for any van valued over £45k
Brentacre 01792 650933. Recommended on here and T5 forum. £490 and would need a tracker fitted.
Greenlight 01277 650866 recommended on T5 forum. Will only insure vans to max £25k value
Comfort 0208 9840777 recommended on forums. Will only insure once converted it won't insure whilst it's a panel van
Adrian Flux 0800 3698590. Recommended everywhere! £320
Herts Insurance 0800 1217424 advertised in VW Bus mag and heavily involved in VW scene. £247

Huge variation in prices so well worth the ring around.

I've gone with Herts!!!

Our renewal has just arrived.

2013 140 DSG Highline conversion on 15000 mileage kept on drive for me and her both 63 £309 with Caravan & Camping Club.

I am possibly going to keep this van until next Easter while we convert our T6 due in Dec so need to look for overlapping cover. The T6 is going to run out around £60K and already people saying tracker. C&CC say they wouldn't insure the value - sorry all you Hymer owners :) Also good Europe cover essential - this year I found that C&CC only gave 30 days in a single trip. Fortunately we were only away 28 days but next year planning perhaps 56.

So got to start looking for a broker to put something sensible together.

Great to see better quotes than I have been getting. Is there a great deal having the van as a camper conversion rather than van? What minimal things do you need to have the van recordes on the log book as a camper?

Great list there @Walski what I've noticed that a lot of companies don't seem to list the new euro 6 150 SWB caravelle will be starting to ring around as it shouldn't be too long before my van is ready :)

Great to see better quotes than I have been getting. Is there a great deal having the van as a camper conversion rather than van? What minimal things do you need to have the van recordes on the log book as a camper?

There's a pdf from then DVLA that sets everything out..... Type "converting a vehicle into a Motorhome DVLA" into Google and you should get it

For anyone interested the document is attached but the basic requirements are

In order for a converted vehicle to qualify as a motor caravan it must have certain minimum features, as follows:
  • a door that provides access to the living accommodation
  • a bed, which has a minimum length of 1800mm or 6 feet. This can be converted from seats used for other purposes during the day but must be permanently fixed within the body of the vehicle
  • a water storage tank or container on, or in, the vehicle
  • a seating and dining area, permanently attached to the vehicle. The table may be detachable but must have some permanent means of attachment to the vehicle. It is not good enough to have a loose table
  • a permanently fixed means of storage, a cupboard, locker or wardrobe
  • a permanently fixed cooking facility within the vehicle, powered by gas or electricity
  • at least one window on the side of the accommodation
If the vehicle has all of these features present, permanently fixed and installed properly, then it is a legal requirement to have it reclassified as a motor caravan on the V5C.

Attachments

• converting-a-vehicle-into-a-motorhome.pdf
    323.6 KB · Views: 26
Nice idea.... Will have to work out how to post links.... Wasn't being lazy, honest!! :whistle::x3:

Starting to sweat a bit........quotes for 150 Highline Kombi 25k p/a, uprated alloys and lowered suspension are not exactly forthcoming.

Have tried Adrian Flux and HIC but seems to be mileage ceiling of 15k p/a. I can't go standard, I just can't!

*Update* Brentacre in Swansea, £449 everything included with NO increase in policy for any interior or exterior mods (excluding hp increase) done in future, just quick 2 minute phone call to inform them of the changes.
Phew, can breathe easy now :D

Be careful.

In the past I've been told no increase for changes (full conversion) by one well known insurer only to be told when I called to notify them of the changes that they would no longer take the business.

What the underwriters are prepared to take one day might not be the same the next when they find that theirs books have too much of that kind of business.

Be careful.

In the past I've been told no increase for changes (full conversion) by one well known insurer only to be told when I called to notify them of the changes that they would no longer take the business.

What the underwriters are prepared to take one day might not be the same the next when they find that theirs books have too much of that kind of business.

Sound advice of course, but conversions and modified vehicles seem to be Brentacre's speciality so no reason to doubt them at the moment.

I went with Brentacre and just give them a call as I add things to my van,no extra for the additions.
Business use is included as well.
It has all been very easy, so far!

Reactions: CRD
Kombi all insured ready for Monday with hertz hic insurance took some phoning around to get some quotes some wouldn't insure because of cost of the vehicle and mods insurance company's don't like things lowered do they ?
All sorted and payed for and log book came threw this morning aswell so it's defiantly coming now :)

Another one for Brent acre. Rang the usual suspects as well as the range of confused.com . Rang them and they came back with a great price nearly 50 % less than the rest..

Back