Installing a Victron B2B charger in a T6.1

I refer back to post #13 which is correct.

Edit- Oh my word!.... I have made myself look really •Special" and @t0mb0 has corrected me!
A thousand apologies! My brain has taken the bank holiday weekend off!
The common ground on the load side of the LB shunt means that @Tombo is correct and I feel really daft!

Phew, I’m glad we all agree, I was beginning to think I was going mad there! It happens to the best of us and it takes some character to post the kind of honest correction you have there.

Again, thanks to all for the help here. Sorry if I am being stupid here but I am learning... Could I clarify what the final decision is in terms of the diagram in post #13 as I am not totally sure what t0mb0 means in Post #18.

If I wire the negative that is drawn as going to the starter battery instead to the same chassis ground as the earthing point from the negative bus bar, is that in effect the only change? I'm just not sure what t0mb0 meant by the shunt on the starter as I have one shunt on the LB.

The easiest earthing point to access is under the passenger seat. There are two earth connections there at the minute but one is temporary and will become part of the system. Is it OK to add the earth from the B2B charger output and the negative bus bar to this point if it already has one earthing connection?

EarthingPoint.jpg

Again, thanks to all for the help here. Sorry if I am being stupid here but I am learning... Could I clarify what the final decision is in terms of the diagram in post #13 as I am not totally sure what t0mb0 means in Post #18.

If I wire the negative that is drawn as going to the starter battery instead to the same chassis ground as the earthing point from the negative bus bar, is that in effect the only change? I'm just not sure what t0mb0 meant by the shunt on the starter as I have one shunt on the LB.

The easiest earthing point to access is under the passenger seat. There are two earth connections there at the minute but one is temporary and will become part of the system. Is it OK to add the earth from the B2B charger output and the negative bus bar to this point if it already has one earthing connection?

View attachment 197860

You do have a shunt on the starter too - it's just that chunky looking connection thing on the terminal itself, so it's fine as long as you connect the ground somewhere to the load side of that rather than the battery terminal itself (which would bypass that shunt).

For both negative connections, going to the nearest good ground that's on the load side of both the starter and leisure battery shunts (i.e. not to either battery terminal directly) is fine I think. If that happens to be the busbar in your previous diagram then great but you could take it straight to the chassis if that's the most convenient option. From your diagram, your busbar and the chassis are the 'same' electrically speaking assuming a good connection between them.

And then hopefully one final question. For attaching the positive cable to the 6.1 starter battery, can I add the cable onto one of the empty bolts on the fuse box on top of the battery? See photo. It might then be a very stupid question but I'm being very cautious, if doing that, do I need to disconnect the negative and positive cables before adding that cable in? And if I do that, what are the consequences in needing to enter codes etc after reattaching all the cables?

IMG20230529160554.jpg

Back